main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I don't know about George, but I'm sure Disney and JJ wouldn't mind taking their new property in this direction... Especially with a potentially new religion like the Guardians of the Whills.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I am eager to hear what elements it retained.

3. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Did the book say anything else? I don't have it.

4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Well thanks to Pablo we know a little more there were Felucia (I remember there were at least two illustrations in the art of TFA book in the first few pages), 2 names : Skyler and Thea who became Finn and Rey respectively, Darth Talon who was dropped early on according to him and pirates.

BadCane, Darkslayer and Ricardo Funes like this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The relic hunting might be a theme that's being stretched out over the course of the trilogy. Or, it's a prominent plot line in EpVIII.

6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Considering Kylo has relics of the past in his possession and Luke is off looking for ancient Jedi temples, I'd say that treasure-hunting is going to be a big thing going forward.

7. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I've said this before it would have been way better if instead of a flashdrive thing poe is given the lightsaber at the beginning, which has the map in it. then you watch it get passed from person to person until finally reaches luke himself. better than it just showing up in the middle, and you can still have george's relic chase thing going on.

kinda interesting how he went from trade negotiations to treasure hunt adventure

Manny_Bothanz likes this.
  8. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Eh, TPM was not at all about trade negotiations.

9. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I was being hyperbolic :p

TheAvengerButton likes this.
  10. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013

Making Star Wars had misinterpreted some of the inside info they were given during filming of TFA and actually thought the map would be inside the saber, like you're saying. It especially seemed plausible considering the fact that in the rough draft of ESB, Yoda's location is also hidden inside the saber. Also, since JJ and co. already seemed to be borrowing a lot from the rough drafts (with names like First Order and such), I can see why many would believe they would borrow that concept too.

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I wonder if it was Lucas's idea to reintroduce Anakin's lightsaber, I really liked the idea of knowing the history of the saber. Speaking of artifacts, according to the Art of TFA book Vader's mask was supposed to be the Macguffin instead of Luke, maybe they'll keep the idea for the next episodes?

Zikri and Lulu Mars like this.
  12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    If JJ Abrams threw out Lucas's entire treatment for EP7 then that is WRONG because :

1. IT would not have been a CC of ANH
    2. It's GL's invention he's the Guru - GL's treatment is the true EP7
    3. The Prequels especially 1 & 2 were badly made & you could have made them better using the same story
    4. You make GL's treatment into a great movie even if you tweek it a little - the Story is the Story
    5. I'm sure years ago when you were thinking about EP7 & what is might look like you would have never envisioned TFA
    6. TFA is really just JJ's EP7 a fake & not the true EP7

13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    He didn't throw out GL's entire treatment, though. They continued to develop it and added a couple of ideas of their own, such as the First Order and Maz Kanata.

Zikri likes this.
  14. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    The comment of being "a solitary person" that Daisy Ridley made during an interview then, seems to hint that she might be a Kenobi.

But if she is Ben's granddaughter, what i really wonder about is when was the grandparent that came from Kenobi's sideline being born, as Obi Wan was mostly on Tatooine after the ROTS.

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    What if EpVIII reveals that Obi-Wan met a woman on Tatooine shortly after ROTS and that she got pregnant but decided to leave him when he refused to abandon his Jedi mission to raise the child on a more hospitable planet?

16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Did he say whether it was GL or Disney who dropped Talon?

17. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    That could work! Or maybe it was with Satine when he met her during the Clone Wars or another woman he met then during his missions, as Jedi weren't bound to a celebatory lifestyle.

18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    He didn't specify, just that she was dropped early.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Interesting. I know GL thought Talon was a cool character - Maul and Talon almost had a video game together because he wanted to see it.

Zikri likes this.
  20. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    JJ didn't throw out GL's vision. It had already been tossed.

21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    No, it hadn't. TFA and the coming episodes are based on GL's ideas.

Seagoat likes this.
  22. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Is the initial treatment of Star Wars or the movie we actually got the "real" Episode IV... and if it's the movie, which version is the "real" one?

Lucas sold the rights to Star Wars. That means the new owners are now the ones who get to make the decisions. That's how it works in the business, and George is well aware of it. After all, he got $4 Billion in exchange.

George Lucas would never have accepted external comtol of his IP, so why should the people he sold it to?

And you're right. TFA isn't exactly what I envisioned as Ep VII.... it was better.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'll say this

TFA is based on GL's treatment the same way ROTJ is

Saying "his ideas were thrown away" is like complaining that we didn't get two Death Stars orbiting Had Abaddon while Luke became a Sith Lord in the underground lava chamber

Exactly this. Hell, even when he had 100% creative control, the first story outline ended up pretty different. Ever see the initial ideas for what became AOTC?

K JCF, you're weird. Stop changing my font. Not even doing that intentionally

BadCane and Zikri like this.
  24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    His level of involvement was much more important for RotJ than for TFA, episode VIII and IX, though. It was still HIS story. From all the current information we have, I'll assume the ST is more about the visions of JJ/LK/MA, Rian Johnson, Colin Trevorrow and Lucas's original ideas for VII than the just one man's vision. Can't forget to add the Story Group in that.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not even remotely close. Ideas were thrown away and replaced by new ones, but those were still his. And RotJ, before, during and after its development, is a George Lucas story.

Zikri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.