main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Austin Lipskey ‏@austinlipskey32 12 de jan
    @pablohidalgo you worked on both R1 and TFA correct?

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 12 de jan
    @austinlipskey32 Yep. Moreso on R1.

@pablohidalgo was that your choice to do so?

@austinlipskey32 Since R1 was entirely Lucasfilm, there was more opportunities.

@pablohidalgo what do you mean? TFA wasn't entirely LucasFilm, you mean like BadRobot?

@austinlipskey32 Yep. It was a co-production.

Stompin' Steve Bragg ‏@StompinSteveB 12 de jan
    @pablohidalgo @austinlipskey32 So is EP8 more Lucasfilm than TFA was?

@StompinSteveB @austinlipskey32 It is not a co-production

[face_chicken]

Red Five ‏@DaniloAlth 20 de jan
    @pablohidalgo What's came first? JJ and Kasdan scripts or the Story Group's SW universe new concepts and definitions? I mean, they (JJ and Kasdan) came up with First Order, Snoke and Rey's background or you guys did?

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 20 de jan
    @DaniloAlth No, that came out of the story for VII; starting with George's outline and then Michael, and then JJ and Larry.
    Pablo: "JJ and Larry created these guys [Knights of Ren]" "Larry and JJ named the character [Kylo Ren]"
    Stumpy Hobbit ‏@StumpyHobbit 10 de dez de 2016
    @pablohidalgo Was Snoke a George Lucas creation,or did he come later? Cheers SH.

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 10 de dez de 2016
    @StumpyHobbit Snoke evolved out of a character in the treatment, so, kinda.

Star Wars Liker ‏@StarWarsLiker 10 de dez de 2016
    @pablohidalgo what about the first order?

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@pablohidalgo 10 de dez de 2016
    @StarWarsLiker not as much; that was more JJ and Larry.

Darkslayer and thejeditraitor like this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    gl's treatment was the basis but they didn't want to be constrained by it so they did their own things where needed.

3. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    I kinda hope we never get an origins film. It's more than enough having midichlorians. Don't take the myth out of the mythology.

4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Alberto@Skysawyer
    @pablohidalgo did George had a similar influence with Rian in TLJ as with JJ in TFA (at least during the early stages)?

Pablo Hidalgo@pablohidalgo
    @Skysawyer George was happily retired at this point, glad that SW isn't his problem I'd guess.

2Sithy4me@Coopx30
    @pablohidalgo @Skysawyer Is he still a "creative consultant" or completely unaffiliated now? He shows up at shoots, at least. :)

Pablo Hidalgo@pablohidalgo
    @Coopx30 @Skysawyer If he wants to be. I don't think he wants to be.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  5. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    SW The Force Awakens Unused Concept Art FINAL Part 8

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Those were from the OT days, Lucas said he scrapped and re-arranged that specific outline long ago, during the development of ANH. The ST and Episode VI were merged, and the 3 spinoffs were scrapped. He did incorporate the Wookie material later on though:

[​IMG]

I would think an origin film would increase the mythology, since the characters would naturally have next to no understanding of the Force.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    About Rey and Kylo.

More information about Talon.

And finally who came up with SKB.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So it was Denis's fault? We can all blame Denis for the appalling Starkiller! [face_laugh]

9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Damnit Dennis, you ruined everything! :p

G-FETT likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    That is fascinating. It seems in George's version, Talon was the main villain of Episode VII!

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I think she would have been one villain with the creepy "puppeteer" character being the big bad.

12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Yup, I agree. I am inclined to think that character was Plagueis, as that seems like a George move.

Plagueis and Talon would have been a heck of a villain combo! :(

G-FETT likes this.
  13. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I love this new info.

kylo is a great character so im glad they deviated a lot, but im also glad to see many george ideas intact

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Plagueis would have tied the Saga together and meant the Prequels could never be decanonized by Disney. That's why he was removed from the story and replaced by this complete non-entity Snuka or whatever the hell his name is...

I bet George wishes he'd kept control of LFL to over-see production of the ST now.

Some of us did say it was a terrible decision to sell to Disney at the time of course...

15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    some people love to bemoan tfa because it's the gl-less sw but we don't know everything that went on and what was kept or not. it easy to be cynical and much harder to be positive. which is funny for fans of a series that promotes positivity and forgiveness

the lesson, be more positive and let go of that which you fear to lose.

16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I don't think there would have been Sith in GL's episode VII what with the prophecy and whatnot.

Alexrd likes this.
  17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    1) Disney is NOT going to decaonize the PT.

2) Only hard core fans know who Plagueis is. 95% of the audience does not know and does not care.

3) Plagueis would tie the "new" dark side users rigth back to the Sith. Snoke is something different.... much older. IMO, Luke is seeking much older knowledge too, and the New Jedi will change.

Perhaps Lucas never imagined that, but he WAS. Interested in some the more fundamental aspects of th Force, as witnessed by the Mortis story. I think we're getting koremof that.

18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Strongbow I'm going to wait and see what Snoke's backstory is before I rush to any condemnations (I still think he is Plagueis). TFA was a mixed bag for me, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in seeing where they go. After all, both KK and Pablo but denied the original treatment was originally thrown out, so there's still some of George in there apparently.

TheOneX_Eleazar and Strongbow like this.
  19. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Now, I would not be upset or anything if he is Plagueis... that COULD be interesting depending on how they handle it. But I think Snoke is even more significant than that. I suspect he is a very old creature, and that Snoke is the reason Luke decided to search out ancient Jedi knowledge. With the fall of Ben Solo, a cycle seems to be repeating itself, an I think Luke realizes that the cycles are doomed to continue if he cannot break it. So he seeks ancient knowledge. Okay, a warning.... I had my birthday party last night, and I MAY have had a few adult beverages and theory crafted with a buddy long into the wee hours.... you have been warned!

I suspect that it has to do with how the Jedi have misinterpreted "balance," a concept George emphasized in the PT as part of the prophecy, and which Lor San Tekka's mention of indicates the concept is still important. For a long time, the Jedi have this weird idea that "balance" means suppressing passion and in so doing, keeping the Dark Side at bay. But we know from the OT, that PASSION is what allowed Luke to redeem Anakin. Luke refused to give up on his friends, or his father, despite warning from Yoda and Obi-Wan. Instead of trying to suppress his passions, Luke experienced them, but kept them in control. He did not deny them, but he did not allow them to overwhelm him either. I think THAT is balance. And I think in searching out this ancient Jedi Knowledge, we will find that the ancient Jedi understood this, or perhaps that the people who became the Jedi were the first to misunderstand the role of embracing passion in maintaining control over the Dark Side. Snoke, I believe, may have been an ancient Dark Side user that first made the Jedi fear passion.

We'll see, but I am very excited about the possibilities.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

Strongbow likes this.
  21. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    The Jedi taught compassion what they rejected was attachment, the selfish kind which is basically what Anakin did by marrying Padme and wanting to remain a Jedi. He wanted to have his cake and eat it. Luke nearly fell to the darkside because of his attachment to his sister but he ended up rejecting it because he he saw he was starting to become like Vader, a slave to the emperor.

22. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

My wife, "nothing sexier than two drunk nerds talking about Star Wars." She meant it.

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  23. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Well, I specifically said PASSION, as opposed to COMPASSION. And I'd argue that if the Jedi DEALT with attachment instead of trying deny it, they would be better off. Humans (and by extension, I'll guess other sentients in the GFFA) are going to feel passion and attachment. It's in our DNA. Attempting to "forbid" attachment is like trying to order the tide not to come in. Instead, the Jedi, IMO, should seek to embrace motion, including attachment, and instead of trying to avoid or deny it, deal with the feelings caused by those feelings, but without letting those emotions rule. It's like grief at the loss of a loved one.... it might be possible to suppress grief, but it is not healthy. It will eat away at you. It's better to understand that grief, acknowledge, experience it, and then deal with it. If one does that, it cannot dominate them.

Anyway, that's what I think is coming. we'll see.

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    You know what his name is.

And stop stirring the pot. You did it in the Anthology thread when you lied and said you heard a rumour that Ewan McGregor was going to be replaced as Obi-Wan to distance the new films from the PT, and you’re now doing it again by talking about Disney “decanonizing” the prequels. Stop being childish and making up rubbish to fit the alternate reality you live in. You obviously have a vendetta and you take any opportunity to shove your wild conspiracy theories down people's throats.

You are obsessed with the notion that Disney is going to throw the PT in the bin, even when we have been told time and time again by people with more knowledge of such things than you that that is not going to happen. Not to mention the evidence there is to back it up. Real evidence. Jimmy Smitts in RO, for example. Oh wait, I suppose he doesn't count? Or what about Ewan's voice appearing as Obi-Wan in TFA?

I do hope the mods are taking note of your blatant attempts to stir up trouble.

PymParticles , ZY-Fighter and jaqen like this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This.^

And, yes we are. G-FETT consider this the warning to stop the pot stirring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.