main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

o_O

bstnsx704, ezekiel22x and Darkslayer like this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    TCF-1138 how does this post not qualify as baiting?

ezekiel22x likes this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Congratulations, Darkslayer and G-FETT! You've proven that The Great And Powerful Oz is human, after all. I shoudn't be surprised that G-FETT recognized baiting, having mastered the art himself.

GoJohnnyGo PT bashing isn't going to get you anywhere you want to be. Knock it off.

thejeditraitor and G-FETT like this.
  4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

It's probably more to do with the time I spent moderating the Episode III Spoilers Allowed forum more years ago than I care to remember... ;)

In an attempt to get things back on topic, does anybody think The Last Jedi might be more reflective of "The Treatment" than The Force Awakens was? Presumably they could go back and pick up a lot of strands from Lucas' draft that that were dropped for VII in the later films?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not sure about the treatment, but if that book in the trailer ends up being The Journal Of The Whills, then they are still mining George's ideas for inspiration. I'm all for that.

6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Should have known the first TLJ teaser would reboot all the moaning about Disney and TFA. ;)

7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    That stuff happens, I get it. I think you guys do a great job running the site. I was just (and still am) confused that the post is still there.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    If we deleted all the snark that this place produced we'd never have time to do anything else. We issue warnings, we don't delete every offensive post, unless it isn't "family friendly".

MeBeJedi and thejeditraitor like this.
  9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Fair enough. I'll drop it. Like I said, you guys do a good job :)

10. JW Fan

JW Fan Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 31, 2015
    Kinda funny how a fair number of fans seem to be panicking that TLJ's possible gray Jedi-ish plot will depart from George's conception of the Jedi as a pure force of good in direct opposition to the Sith.

I think it's a given that whatever ideas come up in this film on the history and evolution of the Jedi will stem right from discussions with George. Kennedy talks all the time about how she and George talked a lot about how the Force worked before he retired - and I'm sure she has a direct line to him if she ever has a question. For example:

http://ew.com/article/2016/11/22/rogue-one-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-movies/

"We talked a lot about the Jedi and the foundational ideas that George had thought about when he created the mythology."

11. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    I always thought George wanted the Prequel Jedi to be not as "correct" in their outlook as a lot of fans seem to think.

And Luke's own words in the TLJ trailer suggest that the Jedi and the Sith are the catalysts for a Hegelian dialectic: thesis, antithesis, synthesis.

12. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    People seem to be very selective about using the constantly changing and often contradictory statements Lucas has made about what he conceived, intended and planned for Star Wars, its sequels and its prequels, when it comes to claiming what the Jedi are supposed to be doing at anyone time - Which often appears to be doing nothing wrong in any way whatsoever, no matter the outcome.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I think the fact that GL's original idea, which holds up to this day, was just to make an action movie that was like a Saturday matinee but imbued with mythological motifs speaks for itself. With him, nothing has been set in stone until the time for release has come (and even after that point, he's gone back to make further adjustments). I mean, yeah, the overarching mythological motifs and the sorts of lessons that he's wanted to pass on to kids around the world have remained constant, but the details of how he wanted to tell his story have been in constant motion.
    TFA is probably more reflective of his ideas than some of us think, but of course there's been a lot of deviation, of shuffling things around and throwing more ideas into the mix. Just as it would have been under GL's direction. It hasn't been done the way he would've done it, but make no mistake, he would have done it.

14. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    ANH was the closest SW was black and white, and even then the original Vader was a Jedi--a good guy--who killed his friend and fellow student of Kenobi, Annikin Starkiller. It's been shades of gray ever since, murkier and murkier. A true Jedi with refined sight will discern the light from the dark in all this ambiguity. Mace and PT Yoda couldn't do it, Anakin couldn't--thanks in part to QGJ's death--and PT Kenobi couldn't do it. Maybe ST Luke can do it.

After III GL did TCW. We have the Mortis arc. Then Yoda with the Priestesses. QGJ happened to pop up on both arcs.

When Filoni came up with the idea of Rebels, he consulted with FL on the date of Tank and the nature of the Force. Thus, I believe the Bendu is part of this discussion.

While JJ may have wants to show how the Force is more pervasive, I believe other aspects in TFA, TLJ, and R1 come from GL and the Story Group.

Martoto77 and Nibelung like this.
  15. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Too late to edit.

*to black and white
    *pop in
    *with GL on the fate of Tano
    *may have wanted

16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I think the main issue is the re-constructed and over-layering of "Modern" art.

Lucas used many old motifs, themes and correlations between Soap Opera and Space Opera. Not to mention tons of work from Kurosawa. Basically, the old historical and classical merits are being replaced with a more modernized coat.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Lucas had Joseph Campbell as a mentor. That says a lot..

17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    According to some Lucas didn't refer to Campbell until very late in development of Star Wars. It's perhaps attractive to assume that Lucas's process enjoys validity from the beginning by being inspired by it. But apparently it was only referred to in order for Lucas to make sure he wasn't going completely off the deep end.

Campbell is applicable to many works that took no direct influence from him.

Nibelung and SunnyNelson like this.
  18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes. After Lucas was finished the OT he finally met him. Campbell's influence on the PT is far greater because of that.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

Campbell simply summarized the tropes and archetypes found in age-old literature that existed long before he was even born. He's hardly the first to write about this stuff....it's just that his work happened to be read by Lucas.

Martoto77 likes this.
  20. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    There'll be no Hegelian dialectic in SW of Jedi and Sith. They're irreconcilable and the Sith are no more. In fact, we got Anakin/Jedi become Vader/Sith become Anakin/Jedi--the Return of the Jedi.

21. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016

Good point. At least on the basis of the impression of the Sith (particularly Sidious) and the Jedi given to us so far in the saga.

But then again. The perception of that kind of dialectic (or lack of it) is not always reliable, or fixed, and is often prone to being altered..

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  22. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    SW dialectic between the light and the dark is best exemplified in Mortis. Post-priestess encounter Yoda and Mortis are the state I believe that Luke is evolving toward.

Lulu Mars and Martoto77 like this.
  23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016

Cool. I'm not au fait with much canon outwith the movies. I'll maybe check that out after I see TLJ.

24. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    George Lucas could have made another trilogy and still not mentioned or explained the Journal of the Whills. We don't know if "mining his ideas" just simply means writing explanations of well-known but unexplained characteristics and using them for the story, or actually using his own description of that, kind of like what was done with kyber crystals in "Rogue One."

MeBeJedi likes this.
  25. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

Or "May the Force of Others be with you." That line gave me good chills. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.