main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    And people complained that the starkiller base was bad science and unrealistic...

That sounds worse! After the explosion there could be nothing left of the second death star!

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Even if there was anything left, the debris would be obliterated while entering the atmosphere of a planet.

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    ...and randomly reassembled on its way to the surface ;)

Darth Caliban likes this.
  4. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Sorry. I meant a fragment of the DS, with a tower, IIRC, where the Emperor had Vader and Luke face off.

5. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Nothing this big could have survived such an explosion imo.

By the way i'm trying to create the following topic in the Literature board without success:

Title: If Dark Horse had kept the license for Star Wars Comics, how different would their output have been like compared to that of Marvel?

What would they have released and how different would the New Canon have been? How big would the difference have been?

------------------------------

My internet speed seems to be too low to make a connection. I'd be grateful if a mod could help with that.

6. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I didn't think so, either. But the artwork was great. And the search for the first Jedi temple has and Indy feel to it.

11-4D and Darth Caliban like this.
  7. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Have expanded my posting a bit, because i need help creating a topic in the Literature board.

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Wouldn't the forest moon also be pretty much a waste ground, with incredibly large chunks of it destroyed? In fact, has either the new EU or Legends ever addressed what happened to all the debris? Or is my lack of scientific knowledge showing?

9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Krueger likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    In a galaxy with lightsabers, that throne room should have no trouble ending up on the bottom of an ocean, intact.

11. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    If you play Skyrim and other videogame RPG, you know what a "fetch quest" is.

This story of going to fetch ancient Jedi / Sith artifacts sounds like a RPG quest to me. :)

But we can still find traces of this in the current story. Kylo has Vader's mask, his old lightsaber reappears, and in TLJ we maybe will have some interesting things in this sense as well.

12. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    This is Star Wars, not science.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Well, the last time we saw it was when it was hurtling downward into a bottomless pit like a piece of discarded garbage, revealed in its true role as a symbol of a false legacy, necessitating Luke having to build his own lightsaber, and in so doing establishing his own, authentic identity apart from that of his idealized image of his father. It's not surprising to me that Lucas wouldn't have placed a huge priority on bringing it back, given the implausibility of it in a simple plot sense, in addition to all the thematic issues.

14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    When was it establised that it was a bottomless pit. Since its legacy was revealed to be so false by Vader's admission of parentage, why did Obi Wan not see it that way when he was fully aware of what hunting down Jedi meant? Or rather, why did Lucas provide a backstory that undermines Obi Wan's attitude towards the weapon, and in his character as a whole, somewhat.

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Say what?

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

I think that's pretty self-explanatory.

Surely Obi-Wan wanted to give it to Luke so he can protect himself until he builds his own lightsaber like any Jedi did before him. The fact is, GL established lightsabers are not things that are sacred and it wasn't even Anakin's first lightsaber anyway. How does that undermine Obi Wan's character as a whole is something that puzzles me.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Ye heard me.

The revelation of its false legacy is not a revelation to Obi Wan. He witnessed Anakin's murderous rampage. He knows that Anakin tried to destroy him with it. Yet Obi Wan produces it with sentimental pride and assumptions that his father would have wanted him to have it.

The person who knows best about that saber and its owner's false legacy appears to have the exact opposite attitude towards at as people presume Lucas's to be.

"This weapon is your life." What is more sacred than life?

Obi Wan gave it Luke because "your father would have wanted you to have it". Not just because it was handy for defence.

I know that this is one of those things that Lucas has flipped on a lot. At one stage the Death Star was full of saber wielding stormtroopers. The original dialogue in Ben's shack was that sabers are still used in some parts of the galaxy by that time

However later material has also helped form the attitude that anyone other than a Jedi using one is out of the question.

The fact that it was not Anakin's first saber and that for all we know was constructed moments before the beginning of ROTS and that Obi Wan knew that this particular saber was used more for killing Jedi children than anything else. No matter how handy it was as a self defence weapon, the seeming lack of concern about the supposed false legacy it represents and what the entails exactly prompts some disturbing questions.

If it is symbolic of this false legacy (which it is) and Lucas expects the audience to interpret it that way, why does he present Obi Wan having no such qualms? Convenience is a poor excuse.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I think the point was for Luke to build his own identity separate from the idealized version of his father and realization that Obi Wan hided the truth of what happened to his father. Basically a castration scene as GL said.

19. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    What exactly does that mean? And was it Lucas's point of Obi Wan's point?

It seems unlikely that someone would describe Luke's father on idealized and heroic terms, then present them with a weapon they once had and claim that they would have wanted Luke to have, after his father had no further use for it, and expect them to build a separate identity not informed by this partial backstory that accompanies said weapon. I would expect the opposite.

I can fully appreciate Lucas making that point. Although it does make you wonder if it applies to all disarmed saber wielders e.g., Dooku, Windu and Anakin (twice),

In the context of the father/son dynamic (immaterial according to some, but I shan't digress) and the Father/Monster concept, then the castration thing makes sense.

It still leaves questions about Obi Wan's attitude toward sabers and life. If he was intent on making the same point as Lucas then Obi Wan was setting Luke up to fail, in spite of what he said about not rushing off to fight him, and would later say about the Vader/Anakin dichotomy.

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The topic, people. Get back on it.

21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Is there a summary of what we know about GL's treatment somewhere in this thread? I mean, I'd love to go through 334 pages of theories and arguments. I just really don't want to.

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Would be great to make a list of every quote from SG/GL so people wouldn't have to browse over 334 pages to find a specific thing. Is this possible? TCF-1138

Lulu Mars likes this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    If someone would compile such a list, we'd be happy to edit it into the first post of the thread. However, we would need a volunteer to actually put together said list - the mods already have enough work around here. :)

But yeah, feel free to put together a list of everything we know and PM it to me, or any of the other New Films mods, and we'll make it easily accessible.

Lulu Mars, bmickey and darklighter99 like this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Who is SG?

25. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Story Group

Lulu Mars likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.