main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The only thing that concerns me about this is the possibility of the creators to take the 'fan direction' rather than the 'story direction'. The story should be what is best for the story which, no matter how much you don't like Lucas, he was able to do because he wasn't a 'fan'. I don't want these new films to be about Boba Fett or Han Solo...

However ultimately we don't know how much has or hasn't been used yet, only that they haven't used the original treatment... nor do we know how much Rian Johnson has used the original treatments...

Baron_Papanerd, ray243 and mikeximus like this.
  2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The more I read, the more I think they simply took his original treatments and built on top of them rather than throwing them out, and Lucas is just being melodramatic. But I guess we shall see.

3. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Exactly!

Lucas got Harrison to sign on with Mark and Carrie long before J.J.'s Script rewrite. I don't get why people want to accuse Harrison Ford of being a Diva, and demanding to be The Star of Episode VII, just because of the unproven rumor that Han Solo has a much bigger Role than Luke and Leia. Harrison didn't demand Star treatment over Mark and Carrie during the OT; so why would he act that way now. :rolleyes:

4. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I think its pretty clear now that those of us fans that actually like Lucas will have to accept that his influence is now largely negligible. TFA could still be great and in the "spirit" of the movies (primarily OT, as the PT is the black sheep it seems). All of these attempts at interpreting Lucas's comments in all of sorts of ways seems futile. He is out and JJ is in.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If he didn't want it, he should never have let it start. But of course $ wins.
    Doesn't it apply to the new comics, books, games, spin-off movies as well and not just about the EU? Applies to everything Lucas doesn't have full control imo.
    That SW is more than just Lucas. GL is still important but he isn't the only one who can play in the universe imo. It's just like with the superhero comics and other materials. Plenty of materials to experience. Experience it all or not. Those new authors are just as good if not better in some cases than Lucas was imo. You want to stick with the 6 old movies, so be it but if people want to expand outwards, they can.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  6. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Of course that is what they'll do. I think I remember shortly after the sale to Disney there was an attempt to reach out to fans to become part of focus groups.

7. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

Are they reaching for fans who enjoy all 6 films or are they reaching out to fans who disliked the prequels. Having too many prequel-haters would only serve to annoy and alienate other group of fans.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Nothing wrong with Liking Lucas' stories more. If so, so be it. The movies, TCW and everything else September 2014 onwards (Or so) is canon. No tiers now.

9. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Never even came close to saying people couldn't enjoy eu, or now the Lucas-less ST. I hated the EU, but, I don't think everyone else should hate it based on my opinion. Everything I state is purely and simply only how I am approaching the movie for myself. I am expressing my fears, my worries, and why I feel the way I do about these turn of events. That doesn't mean everyone else has to see it as I do.

If someone doesn't care that Lucas is not involved anymore and simply wants to enjoy another Star Wars movie, hey good for them! I would never think to call them "stupid" as some else just so eloquently stated about those of us that feel a Lucas-less Star Wars is not the story we want to hear.

ray243 likes this.
  10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    The whole concept that just because Lucas story is not used means EP7 might suck, baffles me.

Could it not suck if his story was used?

Are some of you really under the impression that only Lucas can come up with good Star Wars stories?

If so, shouldn't the Prequels have been masterpieces?

11. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Who are you talking too?

12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Correct. This is EpVII story consultant Simon Kinberg in July 2014:

Full of Sith: "How much of Lucas' blueprint do you rely on or is it even in play anymore?"

Kinberg: "It depends from movie-to-movie, is the answer. But it's definitely a part of the planning of all the different movies and it was something that I was exposed to from the beginning of the process."

Source: http://bigshinyrobot.com/58402/disney-still-using-lucass-star-wars-ideas/

Common sense tells us that EpVII would be the movie that GL's treatment would apply to as opposed to any spin offs. Also note that Kinberg came on board after the Arndt departure yet he was still immediately given & exposed to Lucas' treatment. Unless Kinberg is blatantly lying then the Lucas treatment was very much in play during the subsequent rewrites. We have to also note that Lucas himself has confirmed he was not involved from the time of the rewrite & has no idea what TFA is about. Kinberg's version is the better informed more up to date one.

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  14. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

I really enjoy watching that movie...except for the end battle...how that last battle played out just rubbed me the wrong way...

15. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    Quite the opposite is happening here...
    Lucas' story supposedly not being used has become just another sad excuse at PT-hating & Lucas-hating...

btw, the Prequels were masterpieces...avant-gard/experimental visual films disguised as mainstreem blockbusters!

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  16. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    [face_laugh] Nice one.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    When did I say that you said that? Just saying that Lucas basically gave permission for others to tell the story of SW. So JJ and company have a legitimate SW tale and I can like it or dislike it based on if I like it or not and not outside factors.
    You and others aren't stupid for not liking the movie just because Lucas isn't involved. I'm just worried that we are going to hear people hating on the ST because of Lucas not being in it. It's a legitimate stance but not a stance I can really agree with. I'm just worried on how much of a chance that people (that want Lucas involvement) will give the movie. See the movie and make your own opinion of it. You are pretty reasonable but what about everyone else?
    It's all up to interpretation of what is good or not.

18. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    Always a pleasure to please fans of the incest going on in the OT...

19. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    This is probably my biggest concern tbh. The anti-PT bias already runs so rampant throughout the outer media, it shouldn't have a place in official Star Wars dealings/content.

I gotta give it to the people who run the Star Wars social media. They do a great job at treating prequels as EQUALS to the OT. They constantly post content from them. Sure, even then you'll find the comments ridden with awful people. But they ignore it & still go ahead.
    Same with Rebels - the show has plenty of links to the PT era. I haven't read the new Marvel comic yet but I'm glad they're doing Kanan's series.

But the people making TFA? I'm not so sure I trust them as much to respect the ENTIRE universe George has worked hard to create and expand.
    I said it in the Coruscant thread - I will find it extremely disappointing & frustrating if what we see in the new films has to be limited. Like them not showing Corsucant because it was shown in the prequels for example or something else. Them being afraid to embrace the entire galaxy far far away and expand it even more. Because whether you like them or not - that's what the prequels did - make the universe bigger. And that's what I want the ST to do. And if it wants to callback on the past - why not the whole scope of the past? Not just elements from the OT. I know there's so many fans out there that would like to see all three trilogies "marry" into each other. Not just the OT and ST.

Things like Kylo Ren's lightsaber & BB-8 give me hope though that they are taking risks and we don't yet know the full extent of what we are in for.

20. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    It could suck either way but the fact that Lucas said they chucked his stories out rather than simply altered them has triggered an instinctive 'danger' response. Like I've said before, these are only films but every time someone brings up a negative concern about them, that they may not end up liking 'said' film, it triggers an equally reactionary response from others. I'm no Lucas purist but I am 'fiction' purist and I'd much prefer a film that tells a story rather than a series of set-pieces contrived to both appease and bate fans in turn.

I can see it now, not only will the new Sith lord be seen ogling Darth Vader's helmet but the original trilogy will be visible playing in the background. ;)o_O

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Clutching at straws my friend, clutching at straws.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    To some, they are.

23. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013

24. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    Believe it or not, to a lot of people (myself included), they are.

25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Not surprising. I once met someone who thought Battlefield Earth was a masterpiece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.