main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    Does it seem to you like i care about whomsoever straw(s) you clutch?

2. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Or the Joel Schumacher's Batman movies

3. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    No need to be so pretentious.

4. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

What a subtle way of mocking prequel fans. Of course, prequel-bashers is all convinced how superior they are as viewers compared to people who are fine with the prequels or those that like them.

Doesn't the mods say we shouldn't have more prequel bashing in this thread?

Darth Schlotkin likes this.
  5. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    The more I listen to rumors, the more I wonder if maybe there's a critical point in VII where Abrams wanted it one way and Lucas wanted it the other way. Something so major that while VII isn't completely unrecognizable from what might have been, VIII is going to get some huge reworking and IX is going to be an entirely different movie. Perhaps certain characters die/live in this new VII that did not in the original script. Whatever it was it was so important to Lucas that he basically disowned the entire film and maybe entire trilogy because of it.

... then again, Lucas's last try at Star Wars gave him full control over the films, so it's difficult to judge just how large of a change it was. To throw out a really out there theory, perhaps it has something to do with either A: The Ever Elusive Act Three, B: Rey/Finn's True Heritage, C: Han/Luke Dies at the End, or D: New Character Appears/Removed from Final Draft.

6. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    You can do math, right?

Disney bought Lucasfilm in October 2012

Michael Arndt was let go from the movie in October 2013.

I have provided you with a link and quote from Entertainment Weekly -- a very reliable and respected publication -- which states categorically that George Lucas personally got Harrison Ford to commit to the new movie before the sale to Disney. That is one full year before Arndt was fired.

Moreover, Qui-Riv-Brid provided a link and quote from George Lucas himself where Lucas said: "We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison—or we were pretty much in final stages of negotiation" before the sale to Disney.

Entertainment Weekly isn't "definite" enough for you? George Lucas isn't "definite" enough for you?

If you want to tell yourself that Disney paid $4 billion for this franchise with only a verbal promise from Harrison that he would be in the film, or that Harrison's final negotiations dragged out for an entire year between October 2012 and October 2013, that is your concern. But I think that's grasping at straws. And for what? To make nasty accusations against an actor with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

7. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    You must be really sad about your inability to comprehend things smarter &/or bigger than you, that it makes you feel the need to constantly belittle everyone who actually does...

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
  9. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015

[​IMG]
    excerpt:
    And when talking about the Empire Strikes Back, Arndt became giddy, listing all of his favorite aspects:
    “I mean how much time passes between them leaving Hoth and getting to Cloud City? No one knows. It’s wonderfully vague! The lessons Yoda teaches Luke about not helping people are dubious and kind of not true! Not to mention Vader not recognizing Force powers in Leia? And don’t get me started about the baffling contradiction that the energy shield on Hoth is something people can walk underneath and that somehow the Rebels have an awesome ion cannon that can shoot through the energy shield? Why wouldn’t they just use that technology all the time?! The cacophony of illogic that is The Empire Strikes Back is just beautiful. Everyone says it’s such a perfect film, and they’re right, because perfect movies are always lacking that one element we have in real life: explanations for why things happen.”

I rest my case...

Darth PJ and Darth_Downunder like this.
  10. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Aren't rewrites really common in all brands of movies and happen frequently throughout Hollywood? Being genuine by the way, not being sarcastic...

-Jedi Joe- and Krueger like this.
  11. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Yeah you were trolling... Too bad i didn't hit the reply button fast enough to catch your original post...

Darth Schlotkin likes this.
  12. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    Ah, here comes the insult, how mature

13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Thought it was a genuine article for a second. That's an honest mistake, not trolling. Lighten up [face_clown]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Did you hear the one about the pot and kettle?

15. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

I say it because that article was already brought up about 5 pages back, and then it was pointed out it was satire

16. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

17. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    Dear god the irony

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Treatments get altered all the time. Rare are the treatments that stay 100% intact by the time the shooting script is finished.

I don't buy that JJ and company just tossed all of Lucas' story in the trash. I think they just, like most in this business, fleshed out the treatment to the point where much was altered.

But I still believe Lucas' imprint will be obvious on the final film.

Papa Lucas has mastered the art of understated hyperbole.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    So wouldn't it be obvious that I missed that?? A thousand apologies.

Absolutely, as Kinberg confirmed in his interview a few months back. Far from tossing it in the trash they used it from the moment Kinberg came on board (after Arndt had left).

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Could have been overlooked you know.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  21. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    Okay let's settle down guys, we are all on edge because we have a lack of material being given to us so we are resorting to having the same arguments every few threads/days...

Rookhelm, kip73 and Cyreides like this.
  22. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

He's lost my benefit of the doubt....

23. vinsanity

Jan 28, 2013
    No, but I know the story of the straw man, which you just did because I did not called the people stupid, I called the argument stupid (and it is, not only stupid but childish in my opinion) complete different things. I did not called anyone stupid or sad.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

When you call someone's argument stupid (or childish) you are calling the person making said argument stupid as well. My 7 year old tries to use that one....

25. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    Mystery of the treatment huh? I think it was Chewie, on Dagobah, with the candlestick...I solved the mystery! Just have to follow the CLUES...Ahh...see..see what I did there?........Seriously though, can't we all just get along? This is how trade blockades get started...

mikeximus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.