main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas confirms (almost) Big Three return!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    They're 60-ish. Just how far do you expect them to go? They're never gonna look 25 again.

2. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Exactly. Nor should they. People do get older, including actors. Sometimes they age well and sometimes they don't.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Right? I have no problem seeing Mark Hamill, as he is right now, in a costume exactly the same as Alec Guinness's. Toss a beard on him, and he looks exactly like an experienced Jedi Master has in the movies we've all come to know and love.

Sarge, FRAGWAGON, Yanksfan and 3 others like this.
  4. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I'd prefer he NOT just wear Guinness' outfit... I want the sand-colored clothes & brown bathrobes to go away, a relic of the past. But, yes. Whatever his "Jedi outfit" is, something based on his ROTJ outfit (which WAS a Jedi "uniform" back in the day), or something new... not just same-ol PT Jedi Uniforms... throw him in it, put a beard on him (since beards are great!) and he'll be fine.

He & Carrie aren't the action heroes of the new movie, tho they may have SOME action scenes... as Hamill said recently, he thinks the next gen will be doing all the heavy lifting, and that's how it should be.

Immortiss likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would love to see him wear a white outfit similar to what Gandalf wears in TTT and ROTK. Vader's the black clad knight so his son can be the white clad knight. Very symbolic I think.

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Excellent! I really like that idea.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I get chills just thinking about seeing them on screen again.

jaqen, Carbon1985, Yanksfan and 3 others like this.
  8. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Honestly, even thought their return is pretty much 'unofficially confirmed' anyway, whenever it finally is announced that they're coming back I'm going to cry...seeing Jedi Master Skywalker has been a dream of mine since I was twelve years old and read the Young Jedi Knights books.

9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I too enjoyed Skull. I saw a week or two after opening at the famous Ziegfeld in NYC. Packed house, people of all demographics. There was tons of clapping, shouting, and a huge applause at the end. Indy 4 opened to strong critical reviews, and initially even stellar fan reviews. It, of course, went on to be a huge worldwide box office hit. I have absolutely no idea when, or why, this film started off with a strong perception and then at some point took a nose dive.

I agree on it being better than Temple (not a fan of that film at all), and not as good as Crusade. But on par with Raiders? That's a HELL NO moment, and this is from someone who really enjoyed Skull.

Even if KOTCS was "disastrous", which it was not, on what planet does Ford need to be made "somewhat relevant" again? The man is still an enormous megawatt star that viewers get excited about, and for pop AND nerd cred has high profile roles coming up in the new Anchorman and Ender's Game. This man, who is into his 8th decade on earth, is doing more than fine without a Han Solo revisit.

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm with you, though I think I was ten when I read those books :)
    Just dug them out of storage to give them a re-read before the EU is smashed into oblivion :p

11. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I always wanted the ST back in the 80's and remember being so depressed in 8th grade when I read that Lucas would never do the ST. Everything is finally coming full circle!

jaqen and TigerCraneFist like this.
  12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I think Mark and Carrie are coming along. But I also agree with Dolphin, they do still have a ways to go. I think fans tend to not look at this from the business perspective. I do because this is my business, and I can't help it. Even older actors are expected to be in decent shape, especially for high profile, big budget sci-fi or action fare such as this. Carrie is only in her 50's, and most working actresses at that age are still in pretty decent to phenomenal shape. Mark is extremely overweight still in a business where middle aged and older actors in action flicks look more like Harrison and Bruce Willis. Look at the casts of the Red and Expendables franchises, all of which are in the age bracket of our big 3; they're in great shape. I would be shocked if Disney were happy with where they are today or anywhere close. I imagine they'd love to see both actors get as close to their size/look in the originals as possible. Not all the way there, obviously, but likely closer than you imagine. From there a lot can be done with make up, lighting, dermatologists, and CGI touch ups if they want, but the weight is going to be all on Carrie and Mark to handle. I mean even using the OT as a touchstone Alec was in far better shape than Mark and Caroline Blakiston was in far better shape than Carrie is right now.

By the time this thing is shot I think a lot of people here are going to be pretty surprised by how slimmed down Carrie and Mark are going to be.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Mark is "extremely overweight"? :rolleyes:
    This is my business too, and no, they don't have to slim down much more. I've worked with actors at that age who have been far heavier than they are, and we didn't need to CGI anyone.

14. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Is it stylist hour on the JCF? My business too, a few wardrobe tricks can work wonders. I'm not worried.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Here, here! =D=

I never did understand the mentality that if Harrison is not doing either Indiana Jones or Han Solo, he is not doing anything notable. Hell, the guy is generating a lot of Oscar buzz with his portrayal of Branch Rickey in 42. If that's not relevant, I don't know what is! Another outing as Han Solo will be a walk in the park for him...just a little something extra!

16. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    ITA. Nor does he need the money. According to this, he's worth $210 million. That's a lot of airplanes.

If he's coming back as Han, it's because he wants to, IMO.

17. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I would think as a more of a professional favor to Lucas...

I think Ford enjoyed working in an ensemble in Star Wars. But I don't think he has any real love for the character of Han Solo....

jaqen likes this.
  18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, I'm not a stylist, I'm a director, but it's still working with actors and their appearances :)

19. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    That may be true. Although I would think it would have more to do with KK and Abrams at this point.

20. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Just an educated guess, but I bet Harrison is looking forward to playing Han again, if only as a bookend to his career. Star Wars was his catapult to fame and steady work and he's always acknowledged that even if he was sick of talking about the films themselves.

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Really? You seriously believe that Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill aren't going to be expected to slim down MUCH more than their current weights for one of the highest profile films Disney will ever release, and that not only is this a strong suggestion, but a stipulation of their employment?

I do find it odd that you truly, if working in this business, believe weight alone isn't a huge deal. Even Ryan Gosling was fired off of the Lovely Bones for gaining too much weight and hitting 210 lbs. This is a moot point because, as you'll see in a few months, Carrie and Mark will be significantly scaled down by the time shooting starts. While you debate about whether older actors should be allowed to get out of shape and look more "natural", they'll be busting their behinds knowing full well that they simply cannot afford to join theoretical debates and fairy tales about how things "should" be.

22. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Your Gosling example is irrelevant. Mark and Carrie are Luke and Leia, Gosling is not an icon to the movie he was cut from. They will lose some pounds, but if you think that they are going to be in top shape you are mistaken. Good costume design and makeup can do plenty to hide pounds. Hollywood has been doing it for decades.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    God I wish we could stop talking about who's losing what or who looks like what and start talking more about Han, Luke and Leia returning to the freakin' big screen! I think they look great but if they want to lose a few more pounds that's fine too. It doesn't matter one way or the other as long as they're up there on that big screen come
    2015. :D That's all I care about, personally.

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    And yes, Mark has become extremely overweight. He's gained an incredible amount of weight since 2007 alone. You don't think Disney expects Mark to look more like this:

25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    He looks like he is sick there TBH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.