main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas confirms (almost) Big Three return!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
  2. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, he certainly did himself and Lucasfilm a big favor, not to mention SW fans. By getting the Big 3 on board and having the story treatments and what sounds like Arndt already working on the screenplay before he approached Iger - IOW having the ST in the pipeline already - Lucas and Kennedy made sure that LF was an attractive property, not just for what they already had done, but what they were planning to do.

3. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    If they were signed to contracts before the sale, those contracts would still be binding. It's no different than renting out your house, and in the middle of the lease selling the house to someone else. The lease would still be valid, and the new owners would be bound by it.

Also, Disney is not making the ST. Lucasfilm is. It is still a separate company. Disney is not going to undermine Kennedy as she is a highly trusted producer.

Krueger likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    On a more serious note, all of this suggests that the production so far is much farther along the road than we were led to believe.
    Still in early stages, of course, but in...later...early stages?

5. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I had the idea that Arndt had already finished, or at least mostly finished, the screenplay/script before KK talked with JJ. I think it was the script that was a big part in turning JJ around. I mean, if they came out and announced a 2015 release from the get go, that had to mean that they were farther along than what they led on. This article proves that. I'm willing to bet that they either already have cast most of the other rolls, or are very near to doing so. I think they'll hold off on revealing that info for as long as they can, because I'm betting that just the casting info will reveal a lot of what will be in Ep.7. For instance, if they reveal Ian McDiramid is cast...well...you know what that'll mean. Or if they cast a really tall lanky actor...we'll know Chewie is back. I think even some of the younger cast will give some things away. My guess is that they'll be doing principal photography late fall of this year, so we should hear more about casting within the next few months.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  6. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    STARBOB, from where did you get that pic?

7. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
  8. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Ah, Thanks krtmd! That's a cool pic!

9. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Is anyone else getting really excited about the ST story outline? The more information that comes out about who did what, with whom and when, makes me think the story is solid gold.

Essentially the outline was written by GL a while ago and was good enough to tempt Harrison to sign up, Disney to shell out $4bn and Arndt to sign on. Then Arndt's story was enough to tempt JJ, despite him previously rejecting the proposition and probably having to cancel projects to do it.

So we've got:
    An excellent story treatment from Mr Star Wars
    A superbly run corporation heading the project, that has already done a magnificant job with another massive franchise.
    Lucasfilm producing, under the stewardship of someone highly respected and hand-picked by Lucas
    An Oscar winner and the man mostly responsible for ESB doing the screenplay, both of whom are well-known for excellent character development.
    A director who knows what he's doing with big franchises and special effects and has already produced several critically acclaimed Sci-fi films.
    Luke, Han and Leia.

This is all my Christmases in one

Bring it.

10. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    I feel like I'm watching that old Heinz ketchup commercial...Anticipation...Anticipation is making me wait! So much SW awesomeness coming! It makes you wish you were one of the "insiders" who know everything in the works but aren't allowed to tell anyone else.

Oh, and it was really awesome to read that Lucas used Pablo Hidalgo as the goto guy for letting the Disney execs understand all that is SW...beyond the movies. I'm interested to see where they go with that.

Darth Chiznuk and Padme501st like this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Doesnt anticipation make things so much better when they do occur? :)

eDisc and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  12. kaustin7

kaustin7 Jedi Knight

Jan 28, 2013
    All of this has me very excited. It feels like 98 or 99 before the premiere of EI, which I enjoyed but obviously there are some issues.
    I am actually feeling cautiously optimistic that we might I have an ESB level film on our hands or at the very least an incredible start for EVIII, which may be as epic as ESB.

13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I have always wondered why the f*&^ is Mr. Binks in the middle of this photo. Shouldnt George be there?

Pro Scoundrel and eDisc like this.
  14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I just think there needs to be more women.

15. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Great pic, but rather than re-post the photo, can anyone tell me if that group ACTUALLY assembled or is it a group photoshop?

Cuz if Mr. Neeson joined the group AFTER EPIII had been done, then can we assume his initial outrage at being killed off in EPI has faded?

And then, if that has faded, could we get him in a SW movie again (if needed)?
    (even the additional scene for EPIII)

16. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    It was a fold out in the 2005 Vanity Fair which was celebrating the saga and release of episode III, so the shot was set up for each section to be its own little scene. The part with George is its own image (Episode 3 main cast), then the next bit is from R2 to Jar Jar and Jimmy Smits (PT supporting cast), then Lee to Ian (more PT supporting cast) and finally Billy Dee to Chewie (OT cast).

[​IMG]

17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I actually picked up that magazine just for that picture, and the way it pulls out Georgie's on the front, when you open it up, the original cast is on the back, and when you pull it out, you get all the stuff in the middle. Sure, when you look at it as one cohesive whole, it looks like Jar-Jar's the star of the whole freakin' production, but from a magazine-selling standpoint, they probably wanted to make sure you didn't notice him before you already bought it.

Darth Claire, krtmd and Bazinga'd like this.
  18. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Definately feels like '98, but I'm convinced that EPVII will be better than EPI. The episode I storyline and screenplay had very little input apart from Lucas, that is not the case with VII.

19. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Things are shaping-up nicely. I agree with your comment about it being like 1998. I recall my excitement when Lucasfilm first announced the PT. The feeling now is very similar and when Episode VII opens it'll be great to take my seat in the cinema and have not much clue about what's going to happen during the next two hours, except that it is going to be Star Wars. That was the feeling I had when I went to see TPM for the first time, although the film did disappoint a little.

20. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Jennifer has also proven she can be the lead in a box-office smash. :)

21. sabrecmc

sabrecmc Jedi Master star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    This! I think George's skill is being the idea-man, so I am thrilled with the way this seems to be working out with George's ideas and story-sketch forming the basis for a good writer, with some great consultants, to create a script and a proven franchise director and fanboy to make it work on-screen. Plus the Big 3??? Awesome. Bring it, indeed.

22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Was there ever any doubt they would be back?

Will be interesting to see whether they are in supporting roles for this Trilogy or whether they have big parts.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    That's my main takeaway from the article, too. The Big 3 were signed and Arndt was working on the script long before the deal with Disney went through. Maybe they'll make that 2015 release date after all.

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think he is.

25. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I get a slightly different impression. As I've already said, I think they were approached by GL, and agreed in principle provided Disney offer them a good deal. I don't think they were officially, properly, "signed".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.