main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas continues to show his hatred for the original trilogy! (Humor)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Yes, George Lucas is continuing to show just how much he hates the original trilogy by destroying a little more of it. I can just hear the OT fans whining as George Lucas destroys all of their illusions.

First, there were little things, like Greedo shooting first and including Expanded Universe artifacts into the Special Editions. Then, with the Phantom Menace, he got out the wrecking ball and hammered a little more. Yoda as the Jedi Master who taught Obi Wan Kenobi? Nope! It was Qui Gon Jinn. The Jedi being the guardians of truce and justice in the galaxy? Nope! Slavery, apartheid and corruption were all flourishing quite well, while the Jedi sat around and mediated.

And now, in his latest project, he?s dispensing with another OT ?fact.? Obi Wan Kenobi and Owen Lars brothers? Nope! No relation at all. The OT just got contradicted again.

And life is good.

2. Master_Halcyon

Master_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2001
    So do you hate the original trilogy or just people who consider it on par with god?

3. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Its a beautiful thing, is it not?! :D

4. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    I don't hate the original trilogy, or OT worshippers. I'm just poking fun at the bunch that think that contradictions between the prequels and the EU means that George Lucas hates the EU.

5. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Poke poke poke poke fun!

MWHAHAHA!

Destroy the illusions of the movie purists!

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "Then, with the Phantom Menace, he got out the wrecking ball and hammered a little more. Yoda as the Jedi Master who taught Obi Wan Kenobi? Nope! It was Qui Gon Jinn."

Uhm...you do know that that we see a Yoda teaching a bunch of Jedi in episode II ,right?Little kids with training lightsabres.

7. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    That, Matthew, is just an attempt by the OT writer to fit his films into the saga. The creator of the original trilogy can retcon all he wants, but the truth is that the prequels show that Lucas has no respect for the OT. ;)

Sometimes, I think it would be easiest to just start a "Nothing is canon" faction. Maybe that would unite the purists and completists against a common foe.

8. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Obi Wan refers to Yoda as ?the Jedi Master who taught me.? The context of the statement and the method of delivery clearly indicate that Yoda was Obi Wans primary teacher, whereas the Phantom Menace clearly shows Qui Gon Jinn to be Obi Wan?s primary teacher. Yoda is one of numerous teachers that Obi Wan had at one point or another, but Qui Gon was his Jedi Master. The difference is like that between ?the love of my life? and ?some woman I slept with.?

I think that it?s a fairly obvious contradiction.

9. Darth_Infamous

Darth_Infamous Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    "But Master Yoda told me to be mindful of the future?!"
    Obi-wan speaking to Qui-gon on trade fed. ship.

Now what I got from this scene, and taking in the other movies, is that Obi-wan is newly in the role of Qui-gons Padawan learner. EP I doesn't contradict obi-wans statement in OT. Remember, it's all, "from a certain point of view". Thus giving leeway (sp?) to any discrepancies.

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    And what I got out of that scene is that Master Yoda, being as high up in the order as he was, could tell any Jedi he wished to speak with anything he wanted them to know. Even before TPM was out, when the big TPM blitz hit the stores, it had already been shown that Obi-Wan had been training with Qui-Gon for a while.

11. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    some of Obi-Wan's lines include...

"There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who insructed me."

Yoda to Luke- You are reckless.
    Obi-Wan to Yoda- So was I, if you remember.

another quote of Ben to Yoda- "Was I any different, when you taught me?"

12. marmkid

marmkid Jedi Master star 4

Apr 29, 2001
    it seems that jedi padawans have multiple teachers during their training
    thats easier to say than:

"There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who insructed me, up until i was 11 then qui gon trained me, but then he died."

besides, obi knew that luke looked up to him a great deal and would want to be like him
    so saying it that way gives luke a chance to become like obi won
    that would motivate luke even more to become a jedi
    since this was important to the galaxy obi had to motivate luke to begin his training

13. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "some of Obi-Wan's lines include...

Yoda to Luke- You are reckless.
    Obi-Wan to Yoda- So was I, if you remember.

another quote of Ben to Yoda- "Was I any different, when you taught me?"

I'd love to see the young yoda/obiwan adventures and see how reckless obi-wan during yoda's training.

14. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    in the OT, does anyone specifically say that Owen is Obi-Wan's brother?

15. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    It's not in the movies, but I believe it is mentioned in the RotJ novelization. Now, how that fits in is probably a whole other ballgame.

16. marvelfett

marvelfett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    O.K. Listen. I was one of those people who saw many contradictions as well, BUT have faith, no matter what it will all make sense in the end. I mean this is Goerge Lucas. Star wars was hatched from his brain. All the stuff we love about it came from him and he knows what he's doing. By the time all is said and done all the true fans (an most everyone else) will just sit there and say "WOW" with looks of amaezement on our faces as everything falls into place.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Or as is equally likely a mob of pissed off fans will storm Skywalker Ranch with torches and pitchforks to execute Dr Frankenstein Lucas for making a mess of their favorite story.

:)

Jedi Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.