main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas Costume

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Lord_Archivaria, Oct 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Archivaria

Lord_Archivaria Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2011
    First of all I have no idea where (if anywhere) this thread belongs so my apologies if this is not the right place. That said I have decided to dress up as the maker himself for a Halloween party on October 25th (no idea why ... it just came to me) and am seeking advice on finding the proper beard and wig. Being only 27 my hair color is not naturally grey and in any case is too short, hence the need for a wig. The problem is most of the grey wigs out there are Moses or Gandalf. I've found this one which seems to fit: http://www.voguewigs.com/pompadour-mens-two-tone-lacey-costume-wig.html . The beard and moustache are a bit tougher to find. It may come down to buying a character beard or one of those King of the Sea sets and trimming it. The issue is the George Lucas doesn't really have the sort of beard people make costumes for ... it's kind of ordinary and unremarkable in my opinion. Has anyone else done this and if so do you have any tips? Note that I live in a small town with a limited number of stores in which to buy a wig.

2. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I wish you luck on your costuming adventure; you may need to search online for a proper wig and beard.

This being the internet and all, I have no sense of your physical size. If you're a thin guy, it'll be easier to pull off young GL, in which case you need the thick rim glasses. Plaid shirt is obviously a must.

To really hit your costume home, practice your GL impression: from the back of the throat, with lost of metaphors, vagueness, and lots of variations on the phrase "and all that kind of stuff".

Good luck again - I myself am crafting a Tony Stark costume, which is similarly low-effort but requires a few extra special touches.

Hello_Fett and Pensivia like this.
  3. Lord_Archivaria

Jun 23, 2011
    Size wise I am closer to old George than Young George. That is a bit unfortunate because we actually have the same wavy type of hair. The thought of dying it had occurred to me, but that does not solve the beard issue. Glasses are another problem. I wear glasses, but not GL's style. Since there is not the time to get new ones (and I have no contacts) the costume can't be 100 % accurate. Thank you for the tips though. I suspect that it will be necessary to order a sense of humor with that wig and beard.

Darth Eddie likes this.
  4. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    get a flannel shirt

grow your hair (if it grows upwards instead of down) dye it, and the same with the beard :p

5. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I don't have any tips other than checking YouTube for "how to make fake beard" costume tutorials, but I think this is a great Halloween costume idea (though you'll probably have to deal with some snarky "jokes" from GL-haters on your big night).

Good luck! It would be cool if you come back to post a pic of the final result!

6. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    I think this is an awesome idea!!

Trying to help you find a beard that would work and found this. http://www.costumecraze.com/ACC2269.html It wouldn't work for George, but something I think every man should wear daily. :) lol

7. Lord_Archivaria

Jun 23, 2011
  8. Lord_Archivaria

Jun 23, 2011
    Clarification: The above beard would clearly have to be trimmed. I may also get one of those duck dynasty beards and cut it. That, at least, is a available in Walmart.

9. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    A bit of friendly advice. Make sure to use the edit feature to avoid double posting in the future. ;)

[​IMG]

10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'd suggest an Elvis wig, and applying a Superman twirl to the quiff and spraying it quite grey.

Gaffer tape should be all you need for the beard. Trim to size and shape.

You could use a whole chicken and transparent sticky tape for the neck.

Some old 3d glasses, a checked shirt stuffed with pillows, old jeans and big belt complete the ensemble.

HTH

11. Lord_Archivaria

Jun 23, 2011
    Orders placed! Everything should be here by the middle of next week just in time for the party on the 25th.

Bardan_Jusik
    I tried to edit, but could not make changes. Perhaps I was doing it wrong.

V-2
    The beard comes with a band which is good because gaffer tape is not cheap. As for the stuffing, I come by that naturally.

Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to sunglasses? I am not able (for reasons stated above) to wear a pair of George Lucas style round spectacles. Red Letter Media did a "George Lucas Cosplay" video where someone dressed up as GL and walked around with sunglasses. I should be able to get those in Walmart. Also I have a pair of aviators which are large enough to fit over my regular glasses. My first instinct would be to use those, but does Lucas really where such things? I'll have to see how everything looks and post pics.

12. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Kind of a unique idea. :D Will you post a photo once the costume and make up is ready? :)

13. Lord_Archivaria

Jun 23, 2011
    I never thought of it as unique, but yes pics will be posted. Hopefully they will live up to expectations.

Pensivia likes this.
  14. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Random story: I dressed up as George Lucas for Halloween in 8th grade. I wore a UCLA hoodie, plaid flannel, a baseball hat with a "Star Wars" logo," plastic glasses frames and a stick-on beard.

Everybody who saw me thought I was dressed up as a bum. :(

Pensivia likes this.
  15. Yondo Kuromu

Yondo Kuromu Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 18, 2013
    Did you try looking at some inspirations from "Half in the Bag"? They made a pretty good George Lucas costume.

16. Lord_Archivaria

Jun 23, 2011
    Yondo, half in the bag is my main model for this. RedletterMedia's video in fact inspired me to include sunglasses. My main concern is that the wig and beard will not be up to snuff. Living in a small town has severely limited my options and forced me to rely on online shopping.

17. Lord_Archivaria

Jun 23, 2011
    The costume came out alright. People at the party certainly seemed to like it. Being able to hit the dance floor dressed as Lucas must've looked hilarious.

A few observations. As you can see from the pictures the wig was not as grey as it I'd thought, but more salt and pepper. In the right light it would look grey, but would appear black if photographed. If I did this again I would try to dye it grey, Also the style isn't quite what Lucas wears, but my attempts to comb it made me look like Albert Einstein. The beard however was much better although I should have used tape since it kept moving up whenever I tried to talk. And I probably ate half of it and got beer all in the moustache. Still it was a good time. These pics aren't great, but I did promise them.

V-2 and Pensivia like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There's nothing scary about George Lucas unless you go around all night telling people that you're remaking the Special Editions again.

19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Cool costume.

You could have changed it several times during the night and tell people that each iteration is your "original vision".

V-2 likes this.
  20. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Great job, Lord_Archivaria...thanks for posting the pics! Glad you had fun:)

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You used too much cgi. Should have been more practical costume effects.

Pensivia likes this.
  22. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    I see what you did there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.