JCC George Lucas is engaged

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    So, George Lucas (he's this filmmaker, maybe you've heard of him? I forget which movies...) is getting married!

George Lucas and his girlfriend of seven years, businesswoman Mellody Hobson, are engaged.

The famed director, 68, and his longtime partner and president of a big-time Chicago-based investment management firm, Ariel Investments LLC, 43, are no strangers to showcasing their relationship in the spotlight. The pair are often spotted hand-in-hand on the red carpet, everywhere from the Cannes Film Festival to Formula One Grand Prix races to the NAACP awards.

This will be the second marriage for the "Star Wars" writer-director -- he was previously married to Marcia Lucas (1969–1983) -- and the first marriage for Hobson, who helms the $3 billion investment firm and is a regular financial contributor to "Good Morning America."

Lucas recently made headlines after donating $4 billion to an education foundation -- the amount he received after selling Lucasfilm Ltd. (which Lucas solely owned) to Disney.

[IMG]
    Last edited by Summer Dreamer, Jan 3, 2013
  2. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    I suppose he had to sell his franchise to finance the wedding...
  4. George Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  5. TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost

star 5
    I love his face in that picture. He's like "OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
  6. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    In fact, she would have been just over NINE YEARS OLD
    MrZAP, Ulicus, Rew and 7 others like this.
  7. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    his face is more like, "shucks! i got me a LADY!"
    Ender_Sai likes this.
  8. George Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Actually, I think it's 8. But good try.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    You'll notice I didn't conclude that thought -- had you let me finish, you'd have realized that I was talking about the film's rerelease in 1978.
  10. LordMortis315 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Insert obligatory b@#%$-and-moan about GL post here.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    He's still not as much of a cradle-robber as Padme.
    Rew likes this.
  12. drg4 Force Ghost

star 4
    He's the creator of Star Wars and Indiana Jones.
    He's best friends with Steven Spielberg.
    He's got three kids.
    He's filthy rich yet donates billions to charity.
    He marries young.

A question for all the Bashers: How exactly is George Lucas a tragic figure?
    Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  13. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Is she responsible for him not dressing like a tradesman?
    MrZAP likes this.
  14. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    TPM, AOTC, ROTS.

All crap films.
    Chewgumma, CT-867-5309, JackG and 2 others like this.
  15. Lanoree Brock Jedi Padawan

She asked him. Lucas could not come up with good enough dialogue.
  16. tom Chosen One

star 6
    he's been very successful at making money and stuff, just not at making great art. for someone who at the start seemed so enamored with the art of film making and so against the big business model of the film industry this seems sort of tragic. maybe not to him though. priorities change and all that.
  17. drg4 Force Ghost

star 4
    The Prequels and the Clone Wars series are quite popular with the younglings, so even this perceived "failure" has little credence.

In terms of success...

Lucas > God > The Rest of Us
  18. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    This is a silly comment. He has more money than he could ever spend in his lifetime, even when using it liberally on family, friends, and more distant acquaintances. His giving has no effect on his quality of life or overall standard of living. It simply earns him public goodwill. Doing something with minimal marginal costs and huge personal benefits isn't really that laudable. It's just sort of what you would expect people to do.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I expect people to do the right thing, wocky, but that doesn't mean it's not laudable. Is doing good deeds only praiseworthy when it comes at a personal cost? Are we really praising the good deeds, then, or a person's ability to harm themselves?
  20. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    yeah!
    Last edited by AAAAAH, Jan 3, 2013
  21. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    The fact the prequels and Clone Wars have been a hit with a market segment too young to think critically is not a mark in Lucas' favour.
  22. PiettsHat Force Ghost

star 4
    Right...because most of the people on these boards saw the original trilogy in their twenties or thirties and their love of those films stems from critical analysis.

But anyway, congratulations to George Lucas and Mellody Hobson and may they have many more happy years together.
  23. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Well, my concern here is the attempt to use these actions as a window into the giver's personality. There is an almost indescribably huge gulf between the person who would only help so long as it does not inconvenience them, and one who would actually extend themselves to help others. What's being appreciated, then, is not masochism, but a genuineness in the alignment of one's personal values.
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  24. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Sorry, let me be clearer; the prequels are entertaining only if you can replicate the conditions of a stroke before watching.

Better?
  25. drg4 Force Ghost

star 4
    Sure it is.

Star Wars is and always was aimed primarily at children. If the current batch digs the Prequels (and they do), then Lucas has succeeded.