main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC George Lucas is engaged

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, George Lucas (he's this filmmaker, maybe you've heard of him? I forget which movies...) is getting married!

George Lucas and his girlfriend of seven years, businesswoman Mellody Hobson, are engaged.

The famed director, 68, and his longtime partner and president of a big-time Chicago-based investment management firm, Ariel Investments LLC, 43, are no strangers to showcasing their relationship in the spotlight. The pair are often spotted hand-in-hand on the red carpet, everywhere from the Cannes Film Festival to Formula One Grand Prix races to the NAACP awards.

This will be the second marriage for the "Star Wars" writer-director -- he was previously married to Marcia Lucas (1969–1983) -- and the first marriage for Hobson, who helms the $3 billion investment firm and is a regular financial contributor to "Good Morning America."

Lucas recently made headlines after donating $4 billion to an education foundation -- the amount he received after selling Lucasfilm Ltd. (which Lucas solely owned) to Disney.

[​IMG]

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I suppose he had to sell his franchise to finance the wedding...

4. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    She would have seen Star Wars as a kid.

5. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I love his face in that picture. He's like "OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    In fact, she would have been just over NINE YEARS OLD

MrZAP, Ulicus , Rew and 7 others like this.
  7. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    his face is more like, "shucks! i got me a LADY!"

Ender_Sai likes this.
  8. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Actually, I think it's 8. But good try.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You'll notice I didn't conclude that thought -- had you let me finish, you'd have realized that I was talking about the film's rerelease in 1978.

10. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Insert obligatory b@#%$-and-moan about GL post here.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    He's still not as much of a cradle-robber as Padme.

Rew likes this.
  12. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    He's the creator of Star Wars and Indiana Jones.
    He's best friends with Steven Spielberg.
    He's got three kids.
    He's filthy rich yet donates billions to charity.
    He marries young.

A question for all the Bashers: How exactly is George Lucas a tragic figure?

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Is she responsible for him not dressing like a tradesman?

MrZAP likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    TPM, AOTC, ROTS.

All crap films.

Chewgumma, CT-867-5309, JackG and 2 others like this.
  15. Lanoree Brock

Lanoree Brock Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    She asked him. Lucas could not come up with good enough dialogue.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he's been very successful at making money and stuff, just not at making great art. for someone who at the start seemed so enamored with the art of film making and so against the big business model of the film industry this seems sort of tragic. maybe not to him though. priorities change and all that.

17. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    The Prequels and the Clone Wars series are quite popular with the younglings, so even this perceived "failure" has little credence.

In terms of success...

Lucas > God > The Rest of Us

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is a silly comment. He has more money than he could ever spend in his lifetime, even when using it liberally on family, friends, and more distant acquaintances. His giving has no effect on his quality of life or overall standard of living. It simply earns him public goodwill. Doing something with minimal marginal costs and huge personal benefits isn't really that laudable. It's just sort of what you would expect people to do.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I expect people to do the right thing, wocky, but that doesn't mean it's not laudable. Is doing good deeds only praiseworthy when it comes at a personal cost? Are we really praising the good deeds, then, or a person's ability to harm themselves?

20. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    yeah!

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The fact the prequels and Clone Wars have been a hit with a market segment too young to think critically is not a mark in Lucas' favour.

22. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Right...because most of the people on these boards saw the original trilogy in their twenties or thirties and their love of those films stems from critical analysis.

But anyway, congratulations to George Lucas and Mellody Hobson and may they have many more happy years together.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, my concern here is the attempt to use these actions as a window into the giver's personality. There is an almost indescribably huge gulf between the person who would only help so long as it does not inconvenience them, and one who would actually extend themselves to help others. What's being appreciated, then, is not masochism, but a genuineness in the alignment of one's personal values.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sorry, let me be clearer; the prequels are entertaining only if you can replicate the conditions of a stroke before watching.

Better?

25. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Sure it is.

Star Wars is and always was aimed primarily at children. If the current batch digs the Prequels (and they do), then Lucas has succeeded.