main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC George Lucas is engaged

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    This thread is hilarious. No wait, it's full of hilariously stupid posts.

Congrats to Mellody Hobson and GL for getting married after five years of dating.=D=

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Congrats to George.

That's what he did/does.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Because I agree so much.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's great he wants to get married, I hope they are happy for however long they are together (even with the age gap it could still be 20 years or so).

5. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I tried to read the entire Wocky argument but halfway through I said "No, nothing is worth this."

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's the quote from Harold and Maude that stands out in my mind:

Priest: I would be remiss in my duty, if I did not tell you, that the idea of... intercourse - your firm, young... body... comingling with... withered flesh... sagging breasts... flabby b-b-buttocks... makes me want... to vomit.

Bacon164 likes this.
  7. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    An answer for the question:

Oh and the interview with Steven Spielberg

8. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    No. All good acts are not equal. But all good acts are good. Besides, what you wrote wasn't that his giving was less praiseworthy than say someone who volunteers their time at a homeless shelter or some variation on that theme. What you wrote was that it is "a silly comment" to say "He's filthy rich yet donates billions to charity" and then cynically suggested that someone who has the wherewithal to help his fellow man and chooses to do so is not particularly worthy of note and appreciation.

Sorry, but that's just dumb.

Simply because it might be more praiseworthy for someone to take off his only cloak to give to a homeless person doesn't mean it's not fantastic that someone who happens to be filthy rich goes out and purchases 1000 cloaks and clothes 1000 homeless people. If you want to say that you value the first gift more, good for you. I can even see your perspective. But to suggest that it's silly to value the second at all? That's a stupid and shallow argument worthy of disdain.

9. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    No, it's not George Lucas that's tragic. You know what's really tragic? That for a man who has adopted three children, donated to charity, created a franchise that millions of people enjoy, and zealously promotes education, people think that a few minute changes to movies he created can in any way supersede or overshadow those achievements.

George Lucas is not tragic. His life is one worthy of emulation if his biggest "transgression" is making the special editions. I admire him a great deal and wish him all the best.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think it's a general consensus that he's a decent person. but here and elsewhere when he's being discussed it's usually his career as a filmmaker that's being talked about and not his character as a human being. it's really not that hard to separate the two or to admire one aspect while being critical of the other.

11. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    But if the question is whether he's a tragic figure, I think it's absurd to use the special editions as "evidence" of this. Especially since drg4's original post was taking into account a wide swath of Lucas' life and not just his career as a filmmaker. I, personally, think it's ludicrous to suggest that the small changes made to his films can in any way overshadow all the good George Lucas has done in his life.

If the SEs are seriously the "worst" thing Lucas has done in his life, then he's an admirable man, not a tragic one.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the prequels were much, much worse than the special editions. the special editions merely tainted good films. the prequels are plain awful.

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Wow, congratulations to the happy couple!

George Lucas is a tragic figure? Giving billions to charity is the cause for criticism? Good God people.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Good for him, clearly a long time coming.

As for the rest of you

Summer Dreamer and Juliet316 like this.
  15. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Word has it the prenup gives her control of howard the duck franchise and him Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

16. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The comedy stylings of beezel.

17. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I think you're a little fuzzy on the definition of the word "majority."

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    ARE YOU HERE ALL NIGHT?

CT-867-5309 and jp-30 like this.
  19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Fun fact: Skywalker Ranch, located in one of the most expensive counties in the U.S., was estimated by the Wall Street Journal to have cost LFL as much as $100 million. Lucas' actual residence is worth about $4 million. But hey, maybe that counts as relatively humble given what a small percentage of his net worth it is...

20. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    I disagree. I think the prequels are better time than the original trilogy. Regardless, I think it is rather galling to state that simply because a set of films disappointed you, that the person who created them was a tragic figure. I found the end of the Harry Potter series to be an immense let down but I still hold JK Rowling in high esteem. And not just for writing the first four Potter books, but also for her charitable work. I don't believe that how you feel about a given work of art gives anyone the right to declare someone's life tragic. The worst effect the prequels had was that they disappointed some people, but they also made some people very happy as well. Hardly a tragedy.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    no, the worst effect the prequels had was to forever mar his most beloved and iconic work. obviously this is an opinion and therefore subjective, but it's hardly an unpopular one.

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Good grief, people, must every thread INCLUDING A (?) CONGRATULATORY thread, be turned into a PT-bashing, GL- dissing thread? Really?

Congrats, GL. May you have much happiness.

kainee and Summer Dreamer like this.
  23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    $10 says he buys her a Leia Slave Bikini for the honeymoon.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yes.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    It's not really a congratulatory thread unless Lucas posts here. :p I'd consider his engagement more of a news item.