main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas is Retiring

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    George Lucas to retire

Some sad stuff in there. Even as an optimistic Star Wars fan, I feel ashamed to be a follower of Star Wars.

2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010

why ashamed?

: why is this same thread in the Saga forum when it should be in this one?

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Sistros, it's a big enough announcement that it doesn't matter where it is spoken about.

Ashamed because of the sadness in George's words. Far too many SW fans have griped endlessly and clearly put him down.

4. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    if you say so [face_peace]

the difference is, that many peopler forget or just completely ignore is that it's not the man they are putting down, but his actions.

If someone called Lucas a big smelly ape, then that is offensive, but to not be allowed to say we don't like his changes and so forth and call it bullying or whatever is clearly bonkers.

5. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, I agree, but I would suspect that the continual criticism of a your work since, say, 1990, would weigh down upon you. And there is very little that SW has created since the Prequels that hasn't generated some kind of ridiculously heavy criticism, be it the Prequels themselves, the New Jedi Order series, the fate of Jacen Solo or the Clone Wars themselves.

6. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    yeah, poor george lucas.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed. I find it both sad and embarrassing.

And maybe nobody has called him a "big smelly ape", but people have called him a hack, greedy, any number of versions of crazy, and have said that he does not deserve to have any more input into the franchise that he created. People have said that ESB is the best film because he had the least to do with it. To me that would hurt a lot worse than "big smelly ape". And accusing someone of having no talent, or having lost his talent, is as personal as criticizing someone's looks. It's not a criticism of actions, as talent is not an action, it's a trait.

That being said, there are plenty of us who have loved his post-1990 work and I wish he would have taken our praise to heart as much as he did the words of the critics, even if we aren't quite as loud. Any blockbuster work of art is going to have its critics, as is any great artist. I'm sure if we dig far enough, we can find some 19th century newspaper commentary labelling Charles Dickens a hack, or whatever hacks were called then. Doesn't make Dickens a hack.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Because the fact that he's 69 years old clearly had nothing to do with this at all. o_O He can blame it on Star Wars fans as much as he likes, but all it does is raise the question of why? Why if he cared what we think, at least enough to strop off into retirement, did he go on to produce two more OT special editions, or continue the prequel era longer than it needed to be with TCW? And what about his quote on The Daily Show? Paraphrasing here, but it went something like "Some people hate it, others don't. They are entitled to their opinions."

And it's not as if he's not producing any more work in the franchise either. TCW will still be going for the rest of it's run, however long that is for, and while it looks increasingly unlikely to be made the fact that Rick McCallum has recently been trying to drum up interest in the live action show would suggest that Lucas is still trying to make that happen too. The only thing that's not being done is new movies, and George wasn't doing those anyway!

9. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    When you have hundreds of thousands of fans who are passionate about your work, criticism is going to happen, and it should be viewed as a blessing that anyone even cares about your life's work.

When you are expanding on stuff that people have been faithfully dedicated fans of for somewhere around 25-30 years you should expect some road-bumps.

That being said...Lucas had his ups and downs, but I honestly think that much of the criticism he took could have been avoided. The constant revisions to the films were really unnecessary, it was change for the sake of change, and very little (or none) of what was changed actually improved the experience of watching the films. Episodes I, II & III weren't all that bad, most people seemed to enjoy them very much outside of a few small things (Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd and being an uninspiring Film Director)...but hey, in those films he did give us Liam Neeson as Jinn, Ewan McGregor as a young Obi-Wan, Darth Bane, Christopher Lee as Dooku as well as a few dozen other amazingly visual experiences.

It is hard to justify revising works that are in some cases considered classics, it is really just pointless to do so. Imagine if da Vinci decided to modify his painting of the Mona Lisa after 20 years because he didn't like the way her smile looked, even though it became the very thing that made it so popular.

What George Lucas created was huge, it is the base line for almost every scifi film made since. At some point it took on a life of it's own, and it became far bigger than Lucas could ever dream...and bigger than Lucas himself. To me it just seems that part of his issues, and part of the reason he keeps changing things, is in an effort to keep control or remind everyone who is in charge. Seems like a bit of ego is in a lot of what he does.

Regardless, I still like Star Wars. I buy and like the books, and I watch the films (even if I avoided purchasing the newly revised BRD). In the end I appreciate what GL created and shared with the world, and I wish him the best in his next endeavors.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree that it's kind of sad that his skin may not be as thick as many had assumed, when he says things like, ?Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?? and seems to mean it. I don't mean that he's pathetic, but that he's human and a lot of his so-called fans are very unappreciative of the fact that none of this would exist in the first place without him.

Having said that, though, I can see how some can see it as not as huge news as others are making it out to be... that he really just means he's not making any other blockbuster movies after Red Tails and his part of the next Indiana Jones movie. As far as SW movies go, as noted, we've known that since ROTS. But I see a bigger statement than that being made with this:

'?I?m retiring,? Lucas said. ?I?m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.?

He was careful to leave himself an out clause for a fifth ?Indiana Jones? film. But otherwise, ?Red Tails? will be the last blockbuster Lucas makes. ?Once this is finished, he?s done everything he?s ever wanted to do,? says Rick McCallum, who has been producing Lucas?s films for more than 20 years. ?He will have completed his task as a man and a filmmaker.?

Lucas has decided to devote the rest of his life to what cineastes in the 1970s used to call personal films.'

He doesn't just say "big movies", he says "the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.? That to me does indeed sound like LucasFilm and Star Wars is what he is really referring to, and the quotes from McCallum seem to support that.

So it should be interesting. I wish him luck, and I'm sure this isn't an easy thing for him to do. I think TCW will be completed as planned, and that Lucas will probably still drop by from time to time to give his opinions to Filoni. As others have said, I doubt the Live Action series has much real hope of coming to fruition. And I hope the 3D conversions and theatrical release plans for the remaining five films have enough behind them already to continue as planned.

11. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Does that mean he should be above critique? That is part of the business, he has known that since before Star Wars. In the interview at one point he says ?If the movie doesn?t work,? he vowed, ?it?s going to be my fault.? , yet when he gets negative feedback he puts his head in the sand and says ?I?m saying: ?Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.? ? .

As he continued to re-edit the films over and over again the criticism got louder and louder, Lucas made a conscious decision to ignore the feedback of the Star Wars fans...the ones that helped Lucas make billions...and they didn't just sit around with their mouths closed.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy Star Wars a lot and very rarely critique it negatively and many times tend to defend actions (such as in the deaths of Chewbacca and Mara). I still support SW financially through purchases of games, books, etc. But I don't feel bad for Lucas really, critics are a part of the business....and fans are the lifeblood of your business. Ignore them and you risk backlash, Lucas decided to do what he wanted to do...which is fine...but then you have no right to really come back and complain about some of the backlash when the fans have been very clear and upfront about not liking the changes from the very first time he did it.

Not saying that personal verbal attacks against GL are justified, they aren't, but if you are going to be releasing something for public consumption and then constantly changing it down the road you shouldn't be surprised when fans who invested time and money into that disagree with it and are verbal about it.

12. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    1. Greedy: hmmm debatable

2. hack? never heard anyone call him that whatever that is

3. Crazy: he;s definately not that

4. doesn't deserve to have anymore input in his films: these people are ridiculous

well TO ME being called a big smelly ape would hurt a lot more than someone not liking a film I've made, I've done a mini movie, some people absolutely hated it, some liked it, did it bother me? no, because people have the right to their opinion.

lets look at facts:

according to the article it said he makes movies for himself, they are his movies etc, "Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.? ?

yet when presented an award (AFI) he finishes his speeches with "if there wasn't anyone there to enjoy them, watch them (movies) there wouldn't be any point"

:confused:

so what is it then? he makes movies for himself..

or for people to enjoy them?

any piece of art is going to be critised, which is fair,

saying you dislike the work is ok to me, the person himself is not

13. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    It sounds like Lucas is still going to make movies, just not blockbuster stuff, so how is he "retiring"?

So lots of people criticize him, including many people here, and now (understandably) he seems angry and discouraged because of it. I'm sure his choices have made many fans (understandably) angry and discouraged about SW. But he's not quitting, just taking his vision elsewhere. And that's fine. Good luck to him.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sistros: Many if not most Star Wars sites aren't nearly as friendly as this one. And this one is friendlier towards Lucas than it was several years ago, when calling him "Luca$" was a regular occurrence. (I think that's against the TOS now but don't quote me on that.)

And even now, I give you this post from a similar thread to this one, in the Saga forum:

please lucas let someone else take over the star wars movies. you know somone who is actually good at directing. i'd kill to see a movie about darth maul or jango fett. heck i'd take anything i can get, as long as lucas has nothing to do with it.

Example of exactly what I was talking about, and hardly the first time such a thing has been posted. I regularly see posts about how Lucas should have hired someone else to write or direct the prequels, and posts about how he should have let Gary Kurtz direct ROTJ.

I can't pull up a post in which the word "hack" was directly used, although if I weren't too lazy to do a simple search, it would probably come up. :p

It's one thing for people to say that they didn't like particular aspects of the prequels or ROTJ, such as the midichlorians, Anakin being nine years old in TPM, the Jedi being dogmatic, Jar-Jar, the Ewoks, Han surviving the carbonite or Luke and Leia being siblings. I don't think Lucas is so sensitive that he couldn't tolerate that type of criticism, and he certainly shouldn't be.

It's quite different for people to say that you are such a lousy writer and director that you should no longer have anything to do with your own work. Even if the "fan" sugarcoats such a statement with how talented Lucas was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, it's still bound to sting. That's the difference between hating a particular film that someone makes and believing the person should never make films again.

15. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009

I would guess this poster is quite young, to even suggest such a thing as a darth maul or Jango Fett movie *cringe*

it winds me up too when people say let other people tell HIS story, which is one of the 3 gripes I have with the man

1. thats exactly what he has done, to me he has let people like Filoni ruin his universe

2. his interview seemed bitter to anyone who doesn't praise him, not everyone makes fan edits, and not everyone is redlttermedia.

3. I don't like his attitude of "if they don't like my films, **** them then", which it seemed to me he was doing. (Though an article that misread could have been) :p
    I MUST STRESS THOUGH I DON'T HATE LUCAS

16. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    It's not about criticizing his work, it's when they get personal and start insulting him (like calling him a serial rapist or something to that effect) that it goes too far. These people (not gonna mention anyone specific) need to grow up IMO.

I still see "Luca$" here.

17. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    The only thing that's new in this interview is Lucas admitting he's had it with the hateboys and their media enablers. I'd had it with them since the '90s, so Lucas has far more patience than I do. As the article mentions, Lucas went from having a bunch of studio suits telling him how to make movies to having a bunch of basement dwellers telling him how to make movies. With fans like the ones who berate Lucas for doing the Special Editions and then turn around with their own "edits" or the ones who treat the Red Letter Media mouthbreather like he's Jesus Christ, who needs enemies? Too many Star Wars fans are nerdier versions of Annie Wilkes from "Misery." I've been embarrassed and ashamed for years of how these people behave and it makes me furious how too often too many pander to them.

Like anakinfangirlsince1983, I wish he'd taken more of the praise and appreciation to heart, but let's face it...the media and the internet geek culture don't give a crap about those of us who have enjoyed the ride all along. I also wish he hadn't put it the way he did in this interview because it comes across as, "Okay, man, you win. I'm done." We've known for years he wasn't going to make any more Star Wars films anyway.

But I don't blame Lucas at all. I've read people call him fat, stupid, greedy, and retarded. I'm sure he gets hate mail and death threats on a regular basis. I even saw a pic online of some guy who had a tattoo done of someone cutting Lucas's head off. The media gleefully reports on Rage Du Jour, as though Lucas is a cruel man who abuses his loyal fans like a man beating his wife. Katie Lucas regularly gets hate Tweets from "fans" and once she recounted a time when some d*uches at a table near her in a restaurant started loudly trashing the prequels just because she was there.

Here's a sample of those wonderful fans just from yesterday on the official Star Wars Facebook page:

"They need to take him off of the Star Wars reins if they ever make more. SWESB was the best because he didn't write or direct. SWROTJ was bad because he took over the directing after the actual director wasn't doing it properly. or at least in George's eyes he wasn't."

"Its (Red Tails) going to be bad, its by George Lucas."

"Stop destroying the star wars movies you crazy old man!"

"He should hand over star wars to a new director. Someone young and not in the Hollywood system."

"George you suck now... Just accept it"

"Well, at least this means he'll probably stop raping star wars once the 3D releases are done."

"I'm glad he isn't working on 7, 8, 9... otherwise the entire SW saga would be like a sandwich with really crappy bread."

"I'm glad he's retiring. Now maybe someone with actual talent can finish the Star Wars franchise for him."

"You won't be missed Lucas."

"You ruined star wars. Rot in hell GL!"

Not every comment was like that but a lot were.

--MissPadme

18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I've never seen someone actually accuse Lucas of raping thier childhood in these parts, let alone of being an actual serial rapist. I'd love to know where on Earth you got that from.

Anyway here is the thing. Spielberg retracted his changes to ET, everybody was fine. It's a forgotten blip in the film's history. Ridley Scott still releases his changes to Blade Runner, but all versions were made available to purchase, no rage ensued. George Lucas on the other hand has ignored pleas to release the unaltered versions of the OT, as is his right to do. This caused a small number of raging fan boys to grow into something much, much bigger as time passed by. I'm not saying that calling Lucas petty names is right, it's not, but the fact that he dislikes the backlash when it's something that he should have expected after deciding he doesn't want to re-release the "classic" OT just strikes me as odd, especially given his well documented history of him saying that he doesn't care what other people think.

In my opinion this announcement of "reirement" (Which it isn't, it's semi-retirement. Which we knew he was going into since 2005. This is just the official statement.) is just a handy reason to turn around and go "Yeah? Well **** you!"

Not that I care what he has to say anyway.

19. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Oh, they're out there.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If quotes like those MissPadme posted were "backlash" over not getting the O-OT on Blu-Ray, the people in question need to grow the hell up. I've seen tired 2-year-olds who behave better than that when they don't get what they want.

That being said, I think there is much more to it than not getting the O-OT on Blu-Ray. I'm sure not getting the prequels done to their vision--and getting some parts of the prequels done contrary to their vision--played into it. Still, there's no excuse for the behavior described in her post.

I'm certainly not saying that such people represent everyone who is unhappy with the prequels and wants the O-OT on Blu-Ray; several of those I've encountered, are pretty mature and civil in their discussions. But, sadly, the most obnoxious ones get the attention.

I haven't seen a "George Lucas raped my childhood" post here in awhile, but Gamek is right, they're out there.

21. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    MissPADME: THIS IS MY POSITION ON STAR WARS AS A WHOLE:

- love 4 of the 6 films

- was angry that the SyfoDyas mystery wasn't answered, despite claims from Lucas it would be answered in EP 3, what we got instead was a boring battle in space, and an introduction to the worst character in the PT: GG

- hate TCW, to me Ahsoka Tano doesn't exist

- never called Lucas the man a horrible name

- never said anyone else should direct the movies

so to you, do you place me with the batch that hate Lucas? ie the bashers?

22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Sorry, I'm tired so I must not be getting my points across properly. [face_blush] I was trying to build off the back of this point by pointing out that back in 1997 the number of people with a reasonable dislike of the alterations to the saga was much larger. But when these people were not just being ignored by Lucas, but actively denied what they wanted by him, the inevitable happened. Understandably more people got angry, and the already vocally angry got even louder.

I'm not saying throwing around harsh insults is right. Don't get me wrong there. And Lucas does have the right to withhold any version of his films that he pleases. But the backlash that happened because of this was inevitable, and the fact that he has taken all of what this vocal minority has to say to heart just strikes me as odd.

Also just to quickly point out, the general consensus that I seem to be finding since this announcement (I use the term loosely because, again, we already knew this was coming since 2005) is that people don't have a problem with the prequels because they can ignore them. They tend to be angry at Lucas because he actively denies them the product they want, the unaltered OT.

23. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    What business do grown people have with personal attacks on a stranger because they didn't get what they want, i.e. a movie without a few minor changes they didn't like? Why would the hate campaign have lasted all of these years and get so vehement? Moreover, why are so many of these people not only determined to take Lucas down, they also want to make sure they destroy any kind of enjoyment other fans might get out of Star Wars? Sorry, I don't like hostage takers.

If Star Wars doesn't make you happy anymore, go find something else to do with your life. An educated, mature, sane human being wouldn't act like a jilted psycho girlfriend over a damn ronto or Han shooting second and make it the center of his life for the next 15 years.

--MissPadme

24. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    was that at anyone specific?

25. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I have never noticed an organized hate campaign, nor have I seen anyone admit to having an agenda to take Lucas down or try to ruin anybody's enjoyment of Star Wars.

Seems like the people who are frustrated just want to express their opinion, even if sometimes they do it in the wrong way and throw around unneeded insults.

If you have specific examples of hate campaigns and personal agenda's to bring down Lucas please tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.