main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas is Retiring

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    You seem to have done something similar on your end though, so it's not really right for you to criticize Sistros at all for making any sort of an observation, as you did the same thing with him.

But since we try to be a community of little tension(well, we try anyway. :p) I say we continue to discuss GL.

2. skywalker_san

skywalker_san Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 2, 2010
    As they know of me, since I share them (at different heights for each)... it wouldn't be fair to you and is nothing to be ashamed. I am truly sorry for my outburst, I was deciding against it but was impelled by the SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNETZZZ!!!! impulse (and I am a very impulsive person, who gets riled up more than he should by opinions different than his... part of the OCD as well I'm afraid). Also one of my obsessions is about ficitional works of art, as I overanalyze it every bit of them, afraid that even a single imperfaction will shatter its illusion. So again I apologize, it was rather rash of me, and I am compassionate for your condition as I know it all too well as well.

3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I apologise if my last post was a bit too loud, so I've modified it, so that not everyone on the internet knows of the conditions I have.

I'm also sorry you felt my post on Lucas was an attack on the man or the condition we both have, I can assure you it wasn't at all,

And don't worry, I'm impulsive too :p

4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Everyone has made up? Good. Have some kittens to make all the ill will completely vanish.

[image=http://gifs.gifbin.com/1236864225_kittens.gif]

:p

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  6. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Gumms, you are so delightful. :p

Any who, sans, feel free to come visit us in the CCC. :)

As for GL retiring, I don't know how much or how far he'll really stay away from film making, in particular with Star Wars. He may take a break, but it will call back to him. When you do something you love for a living you tend to have a hard time walking away from it, and that just might end up being th ecase with him. Of course he could always just ride off into the sunset and be content with that.

I just hope he isn't retiring because he's really sick and hasn't told anyone about it.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Crap. I didn't even think about that possibility. [face_worried] :(

8. skywalker_san

skywalker_san Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 2, 2010

That is a really dark thought... Let us hope it is not what's happening.

But, KITTENS!!

9. queeq

queeq Jedi Master star 4

Feb 10, 1999
    The good thing about it is that he wants to make small independent films. And I for one would like to see what he can do outside of his multi-billion dollar company, and outside the franchise... You know, it doesn't have to be grand or ground breaking, just to see a bit more of Lucas in them would be nice. I felt the PT was too cold and disconnected, it was a story he wanted to finish.... Well okay... a lot of us were not really THAT impressed. To me it looked like the great technology got the better of him.

And with a new small film he produces alone, he CAN do with it whatever he wants. Like he said with SW. I do think however when you start tinkering with movies people have loved for decades and say you think you can do with it whatever he wants, is kinda giving the fans the finger... THAT IS.... without giving them the originals as well. Especially because Lucas also once held a speech about preserving films in their most original state as part of American cultural heritage... while he's the one ALTERING his own quite substantial contribution to that same heritage. That is both contradictory as well as hypocrite. And that to me is like clearly stating that he doesn't care about the fans nor about the American cultural heritage when it comes to his own films. And there's that stuff about the O-OT not existing anymore... I don't buy that for a second, I don't buy the whole idea that he destroyed the original negatives (because that is what that would imply).... talking about destroying American cultural heritage... It's all this BS talk, this contradictory self justification that I don't buy or get from Lucas. Better say it out loud that you don't care about the fans and that you wanna do what you want... simply because you CAN! These strange contradictory explanations imply that Lucas think we're stupid or something... How does that spell as 'caring about your fans".
    It kinda hurts his credibility. And I do hope he DOES actually go and make these small films, like he said he'd do right after ROTS and he DIDN'T... If he does decide to produce something big again like Red Tails 2 or the SW live action series... he loses ALL credibility, especially if such projects would fail to succeed.

But then he could always release the O-OT on Blu Ray and make another million bucks... I'd buy it. Guess I AM stupid. ;)

10. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    yes. i'd buy it too and burn my other copies in effigy.

11. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    What I want to know is what will happen with Star Wars now? After the Clone Wars cartoon is over, is that it... no more SW? Will we still get more books/comics, games, TV shows (would still like to see live action), and movies? Or, are others going to take over so we fans can still have more adventures?

12. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    They haven't given up on the live action series. They have over 10 scripts written for that thing already. They're waiting for the cost of producing them to come down.
    Because at the moment each episode would cost them over a million dollars to make. I suspect we'll see the live action series in about 5-10 years time.

And I'm sure we'll continue to get comics and books, and most definatly games. After all, SW:TOR has just come out. I'm sure there's expansions for that in the works.

13. queeq

queeq Jedi Master star 4

Feb 10, 1999
    I think so too. A lot of the franchise is run without a daily supervision from Lucas.

14. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    like i said in my long-type post, lucas provides the 'mcguffin' for all of these things, sure. but we can't really believe that he has really much of anything to do with star wars outside of the actual movies. he isn't writing all of the comic books or tee vee shows or games or novels or any of that stuff. he planted the seeds. they have been good seeds. but the gardener can only do so much; some things have to grow on their own.

15. queeq

queeq Jedi Master star 4

Feb 10, 1999
    Or just hold on to what is good and not ruin it any further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.