main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW George Lucas is to Retire?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Corellian_Outrider, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Some of you might have been hearing the news that the great GL will be retiring from it all.

Reading the article from NY Times that was linked on TF.n news feed, the amount of hurdles he had to go through to get Red Tails in cinemas is astounding. Personally, I found it surprising the amount of flak that has been fired his way and a lot of it is uncalled for. What is everyone's thoughts on the matter?

I hope that George will continue to do what he does best.

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Thats a little nuts, I mean, he's worked with Speilberg and others of the same caliber. His name should open doors for him, not close them. His imagination is what got him where he is, dont people see that? Dont they see he has made more money and sucked in more fans than nearly any other producer/director on the planet! Over 30 years down the track they are still making SW Toys...... shakes head{/i] Personal opinions shouldnt come into when promoting stuff, I would have thought the $$$ signs in peoples eyes would have got him through all doors.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It's... unbelieveable. He has invested and put so much money into the industry and furthering technical advances... if not for him, we would not have reached this current level of filmmaking so soon. He is the most successful independant filmmaker of all time... maybe because he is outside of their 'system' that they treat him that way.

Jimmy Mac and Jason Swank talked about it further on the ForceCast, along with a very insightful discussion with The Clone Wars Director, Dave Filoni. That is a recommend listen.

George does change his mind sometimes, hopefully down the track he does return and I do hope he does finish the story for a fifth Indiana Jones. It's probably best to save it for next time but I'm starting to believe quite a lot of people that 'hated' Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull does not understand the film and the series as a whole. The complaints I heard barely makes up 5 min of footage in the overall 2 hours long adventure.

4. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    It certainly wasn't the best of the Indianna movies, but neither was Rocky 3 or Rocky Balboa, good lord they were bad, but everyone loves Rocky still! And Stallone still cant talk properly! I dont tend to judge movies on their 'merit' and 'ratings'. A movie is an escape for me, its an adventure, its fun, it's escapism and it's not real. And that I think is the mistake people make, that take is all too seriously. I love action/adventure/Sci fi for the above reasons, not because I like to pick the stories, the acting and the effects all apart and make it nothing more than a pile of nasty comments and notes. Escapism is what we all look for, so why not just take it all for what it is, and not analyse it all?

And I'm watching Stargate SG1 Behind the Mythology, only because Egyptian mythology facinates me as does SG1....what a combination for my imagination! (Not to mention Michael Shanks). :p

Back on topic, Uncle George is the creator or so much and instead of shunning him, they should be putting him on a pedastool and paying homage to him! Another case of snobbery gone too far...

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    You have hit the nail right on the head there! People are taking it too seriously when it is suppose to be an escapist adventure!

With the fourth, Spielberg tried to keep it true to the formula of how the previous films were made. The 50's was a different era from the 30's and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had a different flavour to reflect that style... b-grade sci-fi, the 'greasers', paranoia, the cold war, a state of fear... And people were complaining about gophers and things that were also present in the previous film; the fridge sequence is just like falling from an plane in a life-raft. The Last Crusade will always be my favourite of the lot though personally I place Kingdom higher than Temple of Doom on my list.

The snobbery has gone too far. His films are for people, not for the critics. I do find it great that he is actively involved with The Clone Wars and that we are getting Star Wars on a weekly basis, I just wish the networks here are more up to date with airing them.

On a side note, I love SG-1 too! I love how the creators cleverly weave the different mythologies and gives them a sci-fi twist. You can't beat O'Neill, Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver) is what got me hooked on the series. At the moment I have the urge to watch the Arthurian/Ori arc but I am currently mid-season 2 of Stargate Universe.

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Never got into SGU, was a bit dark for me. But loved SGA and SG1!! Classic line in one of the SGs when Sam asks Jack to build something from nothing. "Wait?! You want me to MacGyver something up?!" Too Funny. I'm watching season 5 currently, and am a huge Daniel Jackson fan..... (sigh) guts, intelligence and looks....... [face_love] I have always been a fan of Egyptology and Sci Fi, so the combination was irrisitable to me!

My son and I watch the Clone Wars together, he's been recording every ep, but like you were are frustrated by the Australian Networks inability to keep up with the rest of the world. He's been harassing us to buy them from the US or on line. Love the sarcasm, the one liners and the action!!