main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas: on 'Force Awakens': It's like a "break up" ; Disney "not keen" on George involvement

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ucdex, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    seems like so long ago,
    [​IMG]

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  2. Echo7even

Echo7even Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

You have to go back and look at what we were talking about earlier... I was stated that Anakin was a creep and there's no way Padme would fall for a guy like him in real life. I beg to differ.

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Anakin isn't written to be a creep. The creepiness is as a result of poor writing and a poor love story. Padme isn't presented as a naive woman falling for a bad boy. The relationship makes no sense based on the things established about the characters.

Drewton and Darth__Lobot like this.
  4. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    So glad the dude on the right made TFA.

5. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    they both basically made the same movie, one's called a new hope and one's called the force awakens

6. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

As I've said many times.... one of the major issues with the PT is that the story drives everything to the point that characters behave in bizarre, illogical and unbelievable (not to mention out of character ways) because they have to in order to advance the plot. It seems like almost every time there was a conflict between what a character would realistically do and what the plot needed them to do the plot won out

Satipo likes this.
  7. JediLight

May 31, 2001

There's a desert planet and a mass destruction weapon!!!!! You're so right.

Wait did you see TPM/AOTC (desert planets) and ROTJ (DS2), the other GL made movies?

8. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

TESB is the only SW movie without a desert planet it in

TFA and TESB are the only SW movies without Tatooine in them

Satipo and JediLight like this.
  9. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    My brother hardly watches starwars and when he saw TFA, The first thing he said was that he thought he saw a ANH again.
    let see what similar. after an opening battle which the villains overrun a hero carrying important information, that hero Poe/Leia places plans/map in a little droid BB8/R2D2 which makes it's way through the desert to Luke/REY, they meet an unlikely ally Han/Finn and escape this desert planet together aboard the Falcon. Han/ Finn rescues Poe/Leia form FIRST ORDER/EMPIRE. then they both help the Resistance / rebels blow up a superweapon starkiller/deathstar. Also there's also Hux/Tarkin ordering the destruction of Hosian prime/Alderaan. I could list more but I'm getting tired of typing.

10. JediLight

May 31, 2001

There are similarities we know. I think it's nitpicking TBH. Movies have repeated themes and TFA is no different. TFA delivers new characters and villains that I care about. Something the prequels couldn't do over 3 movies.

Regarding your brother, would he be able to tell the difference between ANH and ROTJ for that matter?

11. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    Yes he's seen every movie about 2 times, but is not a nut like me who's seen every movie 100x. Don't get me wrong I loved TFA, but there was just a little too much similarities to ANH for my taste.

12. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    On an infinite timescale, every thread becomes an argument about whether TFA is too similar to ANH.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The similarities are almost all superficial similarities. I think it's valid to say that there are too many of the superficial similarities, but I'm getting really bored with the amount of "aha! It is EXACTLY like episode IV" when it really, really isn't, when you get down to character motivations, story developments, reasons things happen. I mean, to turn the opening sequence into a "rehash" of episode IV really does involve reducing both sequences to the most simplistic, reductive terms possible.

And let's not forget that TPM's daring originality in comparison involved, er....Jedi having a cup of tea in the opening scene.

14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I missed the part where Han was defecting from the Empire and needed a pilot so he busted out Leia. But yeah, since Han and Luke rescued Leia once upon a time, no one else is ever allowed to help anyone without it being a huge ripoff.

15. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    there were too many similarities to ANH(that was just one example,not the best).it doesn't mean you can't still like the movie but you have to be stubborn to deny it.

16. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    Also, the one thing that gets me is people complaining about the Starkiller. What is the number 1 fear of any nation? That a nuclear weapon falls into the hands of an unsavory character that wants to inflict damage upon your nation. So the question is, why hasn't humanity created a different weapon in 80 years since the nuclear weapon was developed?

So, we have seen an in TFA an evolution of a death star, which, makes sense and not only that, it makes sense that any weapon is modeled after the Death Star, it is called the ultimate weapon for a reason. On a weapon standpoint, its result is a powerful option to have in your arsenal. And its silly that the resitance doesn't have something similiar to it to counter the first order threat.

17. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    the best starwars movie had no Ultimate weapon(TESB). I hope episode 8 doesn't have one.

18. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    humanity went from the A-bomb in WWII to the H-bomb after it during the cold war.

The main problem is that we dont know how big the FO is. The resources and technology for this make the idea of building something bigger than what the Empire could do a bit off.

19. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    So now you want it to ripoff TESB?

Bathos likes this.
  20. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    No, I just want a movie where there's no ultimate weapon to destroy at the end, I think i've seen enough of that in ANH,ROTJ, AND TFA. A squad of x-wings destroys a Planet destroying weapon at the end of the movie just as it's weapons is powered up to destroy the heroes base. which movie is that ANH OR TFA?

Darth__Lobot and JEDI-RISING like this.
  21. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    ANH, TFA had a star-system destroying weapon :p

22. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    Yeah, that's not me.

23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry but I meant the old veteran poster Binary Sunset. There seems to be a clone here.

Clone wars! :p

24. LaeAlSidre

LaeAlSidre Jedi Knight

Jul 7, 2007
    Finally someone who is reasonable. I am sick of all this George Lucas bashing and the hate against the prequels and the fans who like them. I may not like all aspects of his movies, but I am so happy for what we have and he put so much work into it and he gave us so much to make the universe grow even further. Can we not follow the Jedi"s example and just let go of our hatred. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.