main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT George Lucas' opinion on Dueling on lava?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by OBI WAN37, Jun 26, 2014.

1. OBI WAN37

OBI WAN37 Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2014
    Hello, I love the prequels, but I'm wondering if George Lucas knew when he decided to have the Jedi duel over lava in episode III that such a thing was impossible in real life. According to T.V tropes ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConvectionSchmonvection ), it seems implied that Lucas did know this when he created episode III, but when it gives a link (labelled "to lucas") to give reference for this, it links to something called "word of god"
    ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WordOfGod ), which is a concept I understand, but there doesn't seem to be any information there about episode III.

Has Lucas given any word on whether he thought the plausibility of dueling over lava was less important than it being a simply awesome concept? Has he also given any information on how he viewed the duel as being possible?

andresfelix likes this.
  2. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    if u watch that whole mustafar sequence and look closely there are shields around everything. that huge arm that anakin and obiwan are on that falls in to the lava river had its shields shut down when anakin and obi were dueling inside the complex. also the droids and platforms floating on the river had shields as well.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas came up with the idea way back in 1977-odd, when Vader and Anakin were still two separate people.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    1. Shields like Ditolus mentioned
    2. The Force. "Nothing is impossible with the Force"

5. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    maxi big da force

Seagoat likes this.
  6. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Saying 'the Force did it' is basically the writing equivalent of that kid who would always insist that he wasn't it because he has magic shields or similar when you were playing chasey as a kid,.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It was a cool idea to him, and we've seen characters in other films hang around lava with no ill affect before, and they don't have shields and the Force as excuses.

8. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    It's space fantasy. Who cares about the real life effects of dueling on lava?

9. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
  10. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Star Wars isn't Star Wars if that volcano duel never happens. Science matters very little when in comes to storytelling.

Darth Raiden and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  11. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Saying 'the Force did it' is basically the writing equivalent of that kid who would always insist that he wasn't it because he has magic shields or similar when you were playing chasey as a kid,.
    --------------------------------

This x1,000,000

12. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Not really comparable since the Force does exist in Star Wars. That can lead to a bit of a laziness, but that's certainly not the case here because shields have clearly been added to address that point.

Apart from that, I think Lucas didn't care a second for real world "plausibility". Essentially, they fight over lava because Lucas decided that humans (Jedi) in a galaxy far, far away can do that, in the same way he once decided that Leia/Han could casually walk within a slug in space with ridiculous mask on their faces and sound can be heart in Star Wars etc.

I wait for the question why humans meet elves in LOTR when that obviously doesn't happen in the real world. They are fantasy films, because - surprsise, surprise - some aspects might indeed be fantastical!

Rabs, ezekiel22x, Jesse Booth and 3 others like this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    everything built on mustafar is made to withstand immense heat. there are ray shields on the bottom of all those things. when anakin himself is close to the lava he bursts into flames.

14. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    these ray shields must have a "cool the body temperature control" since the whole planet would be hotter than 5 Tattooines put together

those ray shields,,is there nothing they can't do?

[​IMG] ;)

Thuro and CT-867-5309 like this.
  15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it's star wars.

16. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    but as Sharkymcshark said, that doesn't always cut it :p

now granted as Samnz said, the same could be said for any fantasy piece (not too sure of the LOTR example) though, as that is set in stone from the beginning and isn't used as an excuse for "whim plot execution". But I get the point all the same. As I do (to an extent) about the ray shields, leaving aside my half joking post above.

But if "it's Star Wars" is the best defence anybody has got, it's not looking good really if you're honest about it.

17. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I think a cold front hit Mustafar just as they were dueling. [face_relieved]

18. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    My new, favorite cartoon babes!

19. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow people need to lighten up. Pop some popcorn, try to be a kid again and just enjoy things.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    If dueling over lava is impossible then how did Ewan and Hayden do it in ROTS?

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I agree that the Force usually shouldn't be invoked for stuff like this. But you don't even have to. There are ray shields underneath them. Also.....come on. There needed to be a lava duel.

FRAGWAGON and thejeditraitor like this.
  22. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    oh I agree,

lava surfing was a bit too much for me though :p

I liked this: when I first saw that in the teaser I thought :eek: awesome!!! [​IMG]

compared to:

[​IMG]

this... imo is overkill (but each to his own) :p

23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Can you explain the inner workings of a blaster, star fighter, or perhaps a droid? Of course not. It's Star Wars. A fantasy series didn't stop to become a realistic fiction during the Mustafar sequence. Star Wars is suspension of disbelief. If everything had to be verified for a real-life explanation, there'd be no fun in that.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    yeah but there is suspending disbelief and suspending disbelief :p

unless I'm looking at a Picasso painting or watching/reading something from a dream standpoint (Alice In Wonderland as an example) I like to have some logic to what I'm watching,
    your examples are a little off, blasters, droids, etc are part of Star Wars, future tech in a galaxy far far away. In Star Wars humans are still humans, they cry, they bleed they laugh, they scream when they get their hand cut off...unless you're telling me you'd be fine if Dooku got back up found his head plonked it back on and shouted "flesh wound" then fair enough, I think though you'd admit that is going a bit too far.

Thuro likes this.
  25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin and Obi-wan are sweating the whole time, so yes, the heat was intense. The ray shields protected the structure and the droids, which is why they are present. When the computer equipment was damaged, the shields shut off which is why the lava bursts start destroying the gantry. Drawing upon the Force, they were able to keep their strength just as they do when fighting in cooler climates. Anakin, filled with great anger and hatred, had plenty of endurance while Obi-wan would start to tire since he isn't on his level.

thejeditraitor likes this.