PT George Lucas, Post-ROTJ, states beautifully why the Prequels were necessary

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Oct 5, 2013.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    True- but if Anakin is established as "weak-willed and foolish" back then, other things come as less of a surprise.
  2. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    The Tusken slaughter was entirely rage-induced, whereas the Temple attack was a calculated move where Anakin was motivated by an articulated goal. That makes a big difference.
    However, the moment before he ignites his lightsaber in front of the younglings, pain is evident in his eyes. He is not a sociopath, but a man driven by fear who believes - or forces himself to believe - that this is the only way to be rid of that fear.

- I'm not afraid.
    - I don't believe you.

/LM
    Last edited by Lars_Muul, Dec 28, 2013
  3. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9

There's one thing you're overlooking and that is what Obi-wan and Palpatine said, which is that if any Jedi survive the Purge, they will be a threat to the Sith. The Jedi are only ones capable of stopping the Sith as they have done in times past. That's why Palpatine set up Order 66 and sent Anakin into the Jedi Temple with the 501st. It is why Palpatine tells Vader to eliminate Luke once he senses the disturbance in the Force, which is caused by Luke's landing on Dagobah and his eventual meeting with Yoda. Luke will destroy them and Palpatine cannot abide by that. A thousand years ago, the Jedi had nearly exterminated the Sith, but Darth Bane had survived. Both sides cannot coexist as they are destined to destroy the other.

Palpatine sends Anakin to do it as a test of loyalty and a final effort to get him to embrace the dark side. If he does, then Palpatine must kill him to save his own life. That is why he says to him to show no mercy and to not hesitate, as they would be a sign of weakness.

Indeed.

"The telling of this story of Anakin going into the Jedi temple and the other Jedi getting killed through the order 66 of the clones is just done as one of those kind of inevitable pay offs in terms of getting rid of everybody, the emperor is getting rid of all his enemies, but there’s a certain inevitability of it all and a sadness to it."

--George Lucas, ROTS DVD Commentary.

"The thing with the kids is necessary to establish how far down the road he’d come (Anakin) to do something that, this brutal and barbaric and it had to be in there but I definitely didn’t want to show it. It was really in the editorial process that the idea of inter-cutting her (Padme) with him when he’s at his very worst with her worrying about him. That juxtaposition works quite well cause it reflects as much on the slaughter of the children as it does on her concerns about him even though she doesn’t know the children have been slaughtered. There is a strong emotional connection when those sequences are pushed up against each other."

"There's always this good in you. And the good part is saying 'what am I doing?'. Then the bad part kicks in and says 'I'm doing this for Padme, I'm doing this for the galaxy and so we can have a better life'. But the good part is always saying 'WHAT AM I DOING?!"

--George Lucas to Hayden Christensen, Hyperspace webdoc.

"Anakin on the balcony contemplating what he’s done. This is the first time he actually has a chance to think about what it is that’s happened by himself and the tear here shows that he knows what he’s done but he’s not committed himself a path that he may not agree with but he is going to go along anyway.

It’s the one moment that says he’s self aware. He rationalizing all his behavior. He’s doing terrible things. But in the end he really knows the truth. He knows that he’s evil now and there’s nothing he can do about it and that’s the moment where the pathos of him being stuck in that suit is real because if he had to do it over he probably wouldn’t do it but he can't stop it now. "

"The problem is that Anakin more or less sells his soul to the devil, and in doing so is FED A BUNCH OF PROPAGANDA, which HE IS FORCED TO BELIEVE BECAUSE OF THE POSITION HE'S IN. But it's all actually A CON, so you can be very sympathetic if you allow yourself to be DECEIVED BY THE CON as well."

--Hayden Christensen, Star Wars Insider #82
Moderators: Bazinga'd