main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas retires from filmmaking

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This argument is silly. Implausibility isn't a zero sum game - if the audience believes it, that's all that matters, and the nuked fridge failed in that regard for what I'm sure could be any number of reasons.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So? I'm sure he ate when he got to shore.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's not really all that silly. Just because other things aren't as flashy as a nuclear explosion or a well-established movie cliche doesn't make it any less stupid for the audience to believe them. The better way to put it is "suspending their disbelief," really, although I'm sure there are plenty of mouthbreathers who genuinely believe they can survive falling out of a plane as long as they have a raft.

4. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Thank you George for everything you have done with this entire franchise. You have helped inspire many people these past couple of decades, and I don't know where any of us would be without you do thank you.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Again the lack of realism isn't really the problem. If people didn't buy the fridge but found the raft believable I guess that's up to them. But I have to stress that it appears that George Lucas himself is defending the fridge stunt with "But it is realistic, scientists said so."

A highly amusing defence of a film franchise where the action is stylised in a manner similar to that from a comic book, no?

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He only (stupidly) brought it up because people were already whining about how it was unrealistic or whatever.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'd call it more unrealistic that he survived without a single broken bone given how said fridge was portrayed slamming into the ground.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    But wouldn't the better defence have been to point out that realism isn't the point of the franchise, as you have quite easily done, instead of going "But science says!"

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008

You can thank Steven Spielberg for it not sucking. Remember, George Lucas wanted to have the movie take place in a haunted castle in Scotland.

You know why there were aliens in Crystal Skull? George Lucas. Originally it was Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars, but Spielberg and Ford were able to minimize that as much as possible.

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Sure. I'm not about to defend Lucas and many of his choices.

11. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Just saw Warhorse this weekend, and it was a good movie.

12. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    And let us all remember that it was Spielberg who digitally changed the police guns to walkie talkies in E.T.....and then apologized and will them back for the Blu-Ray after fans scolded him for revisionism.

We never got an apology from Lucas. It seems that his response to criticism is to digitally alter the original trilogy even more out of spite.
    [image=http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Episode-4-R2-D2-Hiding-Behind-Rocks.jpg]
    "That will teach YOU to criticize ME!"

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That does seem to be his overriding reason, yes. The fans remind him of studio execs.

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    As much as I have to groan and complain about what Lucas has done with Star Wars lately with the prequels and the later TCW seasons, I still have to (somewhat grudgingly) say that gave us far more than he took away for having created Star Wars in the first place.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Lucas has input on TCW? Really?

16. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    He pretty much outline each episode for the first two seasons.

17. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Retirements are for people who work 30 years at a company and then quit. Or for athletes who can't compete at a high level anymore.

I think it's dumb to announce your retirement when you work project to project. What if he has a good idea next month??

Just go away.

18. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Thanks George for the bright vision of the future you gave us with the crew of the Enterprise

@};-

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Realism isn't a big problem for me if something is good. I've seen footage of Red Tails were the heroes are fighting in air combat against waht looks like an M-262 Nazi Jet Fighter. It's ridiculous to think a propeller plane even the Mustang could outfly and outgun a Jet aircraft which could travel at least 120mph faster. The Nazis never made the M-262 until too late in the war so only about 300 ever saw serious combat and they had bugs (fotunately for the allies).

Still, Red Tails at least looks like it has more character development than the Prequels.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yippee! I hope they do spinning. That's a good trick.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I thought he was already retired *shrugs*

22. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    What's he going to do now, adopt more kids? He'll get bored sooner or later.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Mayne he'll be the dude on the next season of The Bachelor!

24. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    The "You raped my childhood" edition?

Sounds like good watching. :p

25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I am comfortable seconding this.

Thank you, Mr Lucas.