George Lucas retires from filmmaking

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 18, 2012.

1. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    It's easy to agree with, he's created so many methods and technologies that have enriched the film industry in general.

I was making light of the raping my childhood thing, if nothing else, he enriched it.

I do hope he decides to change his mind and do some more personal and smaller films, I think Star Wars, though it keeps him rich, and his various companies going strong, that Lucas would be happier doing what he loves while distancing himself from what made him famous.

Regardless of all the people that feel like he personally screwed them over with the pt, you have to remember he was making those movies for children more or less, but I'd say most of us will always have an inner child in there somewhere.

It's not like anyone here accidently tripped and fell into a SW message board, why most us have stayed is different, but still.... :p
  2. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    Ralph McQuarrie or some other comic illustrator needs to do a poster of his characters from his movies at a big retirement banquet for George Lucas. Perhaps a few souls like Phil Tippett and his other model makers as well.
    That would be so awesome to see maybe four or six feet width and four feet wide.

Maybe the fight with studio executives over redtails cost him all the credit he had left. But it gave him something he can hold onto. When he could have retired to running a sucessful company and gain notoriety he chose not to, he gave himself to that one last movie. Not just any movie. The movie that celebrates heroes, the heroes we know as Redtails. Black men who overcame all the odds and dared stand up to the Germans in war. And did they just fight and die, no they were sentinels of the same men who hated them. Yet they took there jobs seriously and performed it without malice. They measured their victories in the men that survived not the cities bombed or the enemies destroyed.

No director could do it, no executive would stand up and make it happen. The racist studio execs did not want to see it happen. Yet here we are, all about to see a movie where Black men are the heroes we know and can look up to. They are an example to all of us, about duty and honor. Sometimes the greatest heroes are those who do not seek personal glory but seek a common goal of survival of all.
  3. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Actually, it is supposedly well known fact among aviation enthusiasts the the Tuskegee Airmen were indeed the first unit to shoot down a jet in combat.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    The allies were mainly successful in destroying them as they were landing or taking off or stationery, as opposed to destroying them in air combat. They also had various technical issues such as engine failure which could aid allies in destroying them, but I'll wait to see how the film depicts such things before I judge it too harshly.

It seems odd that Fox would deny Lucas distribution of a movie given the success he gave them with Star Wars (which they were also reluctant to distribute). You'd think a man of his power & influence would no longer have issues getting it done, would Fox deny Spielberg?
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    You bigot! You just can't stand to credit a good, black man for shooting down your precious magic rocket plane...
  6. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    That's all nice and such, but it's looks like Jorge's last big event movie about black hero's is taking a pounding from critics.Ouch!!!

Can't wait to see what George's idea of a smaller more personal film is.

7. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Question is, now that The Maker is retiring, it it time we all stepped away from the Internet (well, the Star Wars part of it?) and did something more constructive with our time?[face_thinking]
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    What's the JCC got to do with Star Wars?
  9. Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  10. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Well we all have Star Wars icons. [face_laugh]
  11. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    I like your post, but FYI, Ralph McQuarrie was never a comic illustrator. He worked for Boeing as a technical illustrator and did some film posters and animation for the Apollo program before he went into movie production design.
  12. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    No.
  13. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Didn't Mythbusters or someone prove the rubber-raft slide actually WOULD work?

I don't mind GL retiring. He gave up 25 years ago. All he has done since then is #%*@-up his previous successes and make a bigger ass of himself than even Shatner ever could. Heck, than even I could.
    He had an idea, and it was good. But he had people to fix it so that it was good, and other people to just say "No" to him. When he got rid of those people, his work sucked.

A lot of Hollywood is like that--they need "No"-men to kill bad ideas and people to stick it to the accounting departments so that movies get the right amount of money to get the FX they need. But, Hollywood is a business, and they are all about maximizing profit rather than producing a quality product. Every once in a while, a genius sneaks in. Lucas was that genius in 1976. He was not, come 1985.

So take that for the half-a$$ed thank you that it is.
  14. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Red Tails has 34% on Rottentomatoes. I guess all Lucas's sanctimonious ** touting his own courage in making this movie did not inoculate it from the critics.

Still not allowed, sorry.
  15. Aytee-Aytee Force Ghost

star 5
  16. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume he had some direct envolvement. I mean it's a project he's wanted to make since 1988, so I highly doubt he just chose a director and script and said have at it.

If it's his story, then he needs to take blame for that.

Jorge deserves credit for creating a movie like this, and it is indeed a very bold move. I don't know how bold, and such an idea would probably had more impact if the movie was made in 88, but still bold. Still, if Jorge he deserves credit for all that, then he also deserves credit for the quality of his film as well.

17. tom Chosen One

star 6
    how is it bold? there was already a movie about the tuskegee airmen called "the tuskegee airmen" iirc.
  18. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I'll be seeing Red Tails tomorrow morning.
  19. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't know.Jorge and his pals say it's bold, so I said it was bold too.[face_flag]
  20. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    I know, I couldn't believe how smug he sounded on The Daily Show when he said this was the first movie about these unsung heroes and how bold and innovative this made him. "The Tuskegee Airmen" and Red Tails both have Cuba Gooding Jr, fgs. Granted The Tuskegee Airmen came out in the mid nineties and was a TV movie made for HBO back when their production value left something to be desired (all the dogfights are comprised of badly greenscreened closeups of the actors in cockpits and documentary footage from WWII), but the acting was excellent.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I think considering the trouble he has had in getting the movie distributed he thinks it is a subject Hollywood doesn't want to promote much, in which case he sees it as a bold move that he used his own money and studio to make it happen.

I think it is his film, just as Empire & Jedi are his films even though someone else directed them (Indiana Jones is his creation mostly, but Spielberg has strong input). It's one thing to be a producer and lend your name to something (as Spielberg did with Back to the Future & Super 8), it is another thing to fund the movie yourself and write it.
  22. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I overheard two African-American women last week talking excitedly about Red Tails. Based upon this scientific sampling, I predict that the film will be popular among black audiences.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    That's not uncommon.

Even rubbish movies like Unstoppable, Norbit & Imagine That got a mainly black audience from what I saw just because of who the lead actors were. Even for Tower Heist I got a lot of "we want the Eddie Murphy film" from people buying tickets even though he wasn't the main character. The people in the movie for many of any audience can be more important than the movie itself.

24. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I gave a larger review elsewhere. Red Tails is decent. The acting and human stories are a 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5, the air combat is a solid 5.
  25. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I just saw the preview for Red Tails along with a Cuba Gooding Jr interview, and I definitely want to see a movie. Depending on who is doing the reviewing, I sometimes consider bad reviews to be a positive for the film.