main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas retires from filmmaking

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 18, 2012.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Reviews don't really mean a lot. Star Wars was hated by critics but was hugely popular, and movies such as Twilight & Tranformers are constantly bashed by reviewers yet people still flock to see them.

2. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Keep writing that enough times & maybe people will believe it. Star Wars was a hit with critics & audiences alike. Sure there were a few that didn't like it but the majority loved it. Most critically reviled movies don't get nominated for best picture.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I honestly don't remember what kind of reviews Star Wars got, but here's my issue: why does it matter? People might use the reviews to decide if they want to see a movie or not, but beyond that, a review is merely one person's opinion. Why such a person's opinion is supposed to determine whether I might enjoy a movie or not, is beyond me. I'm more likely to take seriously the opinion of someone I know personally, someone who generally enjoys the same films that I do. I have gotten such a review of Red Tails from a friend on Facebook, and now I know I want to see it, no matter what any professional reviewer says.

Sixty professional reviewers might hate a film and I might still like it, if those 60 professional reviewers do not share my taste. Opinions on what constitutes "good storytelling", "good visuals" and "good directing" vary pretty widely, and all that matters is whether people will pay to see the movie--particularly whether they will pay to see it more than once, or buy the DVD or Blu-Ray.

FWIW, no, I'm not a big fan of the Oscars or Golden Globes, other than thinking that it's good for the actors and directors to get recognized. I don't base my opinion on what constitutes a "good movie" on whether it won awards.

Bad reviews does not necessarily mean the movie itself is bad or that the general public did not or would not enjoy it.

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well I'm sure that there are plenty of people who think TROLL 2 is the best movie ever.

IMO, it's not what whether the critics give it a good rating or bad, it's what they say bout the movie specifically. "This movie sucks, and here's why." It's the why that people need to pay attention too. Clearly this film has great air battles, and that's pretty much all Lucas cared about anyway. He read a history book, thought it'd would be cool to tell a history story about black pilots fighting in WW2. However Jorge doesn't want to tell the story of these man, he wants to tell the story of them fighting air battles. A 2 hour movie need to be about more than that. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that most of you, even the one's who are all "reviews don't matter, etc," will agree that the quieter moments of the movie will fall flat. Oh, sure, that hour and half of crappyness won't ruin your action packed moments, but you'll still take note the movie was boring when the planes were on the ground.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    This Bashers vs. Gushers war sure got daft in the last decade or so.

Gushers, lol.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but my point is that "boring" is a matter of taste, and I won't assume the moments on the ground are "boring" just because a reviewer says so.

I very well might find those moments boring, but what I don't understand is the notion that "X Professional Reviewer says these moments are boring, so they must be, and therefore I won't see the movie." The exception would be if the professional reviewer and I have consistently shared the same opinion on prior movies.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's not out here yet, but it does sound like it has better characerisation than the prequels did (although that is not very difficult). I don't personally have a problem with corny one-liners and other silly lines, films like Bond have them and it's funny. Plus Lucas is influenced heavily by old serials such as FLash Gordon and in the old days corny dialogue was widely used.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Titanic is the most epic film I have ever seen... I know this because, despite my inability to actually enjoy any of it, professionals told me that I had seen the most epic film ever.

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I hear you. To this day I cannot comprehend the love that movie gets or the accolades it got when compared to other movies that came out that year. To me, it's an overstylized period/romantic drama wrapped around a RL disaster and, well, maybe the girls love it but I don't see why I have to.

As for the thread's title: Hallellujah(?).

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Kate Winslet's boobs?

Or was it the not-yet-invented Roosevelt dime that she paid Leo with?

The only characters in that film that I found remotely likeable were Leo, the captain and the architect (the guy played by Victor Garber).

It did spawn a very nice SNL sketch in which Rose's granddaughter beat the crap out of her for hiding the million-dollar necklace for decades while she (the granddaughter) worked at Pizza Hut to support them.

Seriously, who the hell dumps a million-dollar necklace overboard?

But yeah, most epic film ever.

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I really like Titanic.

12. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    [image=http://gifsoup.com/view2/3350101/propeller-guy-o.gif]
    It was Propeller Guy!

Oh, and watch the scene again...it was a Barber dime. ;)

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, Kate Winslett stripping down to her b-day suit might be Titanic's only redeeming quality (yeah, I'm a pig and I don't care). Unfortunately at this point she's done that every other pic so it's no longer special.

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Who would we bash then? :(

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    This. Titanic is a very ordinary not very interesting love story set in a grand location, and the ship isn't even the main feature despite it being in the title. The best bit is the last hour when it sinks, that is well done and realistic. The rest is a snorefest.

But, I don't think it is still as highly rated today as it was upon release. I recall a stream of 5 star reviews when it came out and when it originally featured on TV. Over the years I have seen its ratings decline down as critics got over their initial hype and realised what an average movie it really is. Publications that once gave it 5 stars now give it 4, sometimes even 3.

Where Star Wars was disliked and is now revered, Titanic was hailed and is now largely overlooked.

A Night to Remember is and always will be a better movie about Titanic.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Star Wars fans will get their day in court with Titanic 3D vs. Phantom Menace 3D. I can't wait to see the box office results on that showdown.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Whoever wins, the people who get headaches from the technology lose.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They're out months apart, and although Titanic is largely dull it is vastly superior to TPM. Titanic will do well because the female audience will majorly outsellf the few kids that go to see the worst SW movie in what might not even be very good 3D.

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Gone With the Wind 3D. That's what people really want to see.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (in 3D) opens wide on Friday, February 10, 2012.

Titanic (3D) opens wide on Friday, April 6, 2012.

Which is the real timeless classic? Finally we'll have an answer expressed in premium 3D ticket sales/2012 dollars.

These movies have a lot in common. Both feature 90s era computer-generated dialogue that, although state of the art for its time, now sounds badly dated.

20. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    The horrible reviews of Red Tails makes this "retirement" a good thing.

And I think he needs to look up the definition of retirement with all of his plans for the future.

And while I am at it, for all the contempt he has of the star wars fans trashing his latest crap, he sure has no qualms about making another buck on them in 3D.

:p

21. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Nonsense. This is how he originally intended them to be seen! [face_shame_on_you]

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    There was talk of Lucasfilm pulling the plug on the 3D releases if TPM doesn't do well, but then what does he expect form the least popular movie? Only the OT movies will be a big success, so he should have started with those.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If the conversion turns out well I hope this is succesful as I hope to see the AOTC Corsucant airspeeder chase in 3D.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I kind of hope Attack of the Clones gets a 3D release so there's endless fodder for jokes about how the special effects have more depth than the characters.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Zam hater. [face_talk_hand]