main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas retires from filmmaking

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

Brilliant.

They should go a step further and make it 4-D. Nothing says fun like feeling the spray of Grievious' cough or sand blowing on your face.

I just gave him another idea for his retirement period and another buck.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Shame there are not enough 4D capable places, certainly not outside the US anyway.

TPM really only has 3 sequences worth seeing in 3D - The Podrace, Naboo Ground/Space battle and the Darth Maul fight

The rest is talky and largely not important, I'm not bothered about seeing the sentate assembly in 3D.

What I was hoping for was Lucas somehow succeeding in an IMAX 3D conversion, because that 3D is actually worth watching. Sadly it seems this is not the case and we'll be stuck with basic uninspiring RealD

3. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Fans or so called 'fans' shredded the prequel trilogy for one simple reason;

"Nothing can be as good as it once was."

There was no way the prequels could have EVER lived up to the Original Trilogy. Too much hype to compete against no matter who directed them.

Imagine if John Lennon and George Harrison were still alive today and reunited to do a Beatles album with Paul and Ringo? How do you think it would go?

Fans would tear it to pieces.

GL had already said there would be no more films. I had high hopes for a TV series called "Star Wars: EMPIRE" that would have explored the 20 years between episode 3 and 4. If that never happens now, you selfish 'fanboys' have nobody but yourselves to blame. It could have been epic. On HBO, or Showtime, or Starz, or Cinemax. To be honest, only pay channels could a series like this thrive.

I am done with "The Clone Wars." Enough animation! Get some martial arts guys suited up with sabers and throw down! [face_plain]

4. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    I really hope he will give his SW rights to Dave Filoni.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I believe the Live Action Series was going to be titled Star Wars: Underworld.

Dave Filoni has done well with TCW, but I don't see why he should have total control of the whole SW franchise. I thought Katie Lucas wrote great episodes in series 3, if she can maintain that quality I'm not against the franchise still being in the hands of a Lucas.

The best way is to have different guys overseeing different aspects. I don't know if someone who does a kids TV cartoon should also head up a more adult aimed Live Action show.

6. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010
    I said owning the franchise not directing the TV series.

7. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Hope this is sarcasm. That thing was a destined failure from the start when Lucas decided to become involved. :p

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    There is a difference between "Not being as good as the originals" and "Not being good."
    The prequels count as "Not being good" in any respect except for some technical effects.
    It is not worth documenting the mistakes here--it's been done to death several times now.

The TV series? Well, if it Ever happens (c'mon, it's been in rumors for how many years now?), will be all the better for Lucas' absence.

Katie Lucas? Maybe it was that she was stuck with horrible stories to write, but I wasn't impressed. Clone Wars season 3 was unbelievably awful. I was shocked--especially considering how good seasons 1 and 2 were.

9. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    In any TV live action series GL would ONLY be an executive producer. I don't feel he would direct any of them.

Last that I heard it was more of 'financial hurdles' that needed to be overcome for a live action Star Wars series.

Here would be my points for a good show;
    1) Star Wars: EMPIRE is a far better title than UNDERWORLD, that just sucks.
    2) Start off each show just like the films with a 'crawl' and John Williams score. Change the font to another color than yellow. Title of the first episode is "Order 66." After the crawl in space pan left or right... NOT down. Been there done that.
    3) First episode UNLEASHES UNGODLY AMOUNTS OF SHEER HELL THE LIKES OF WHICH HAVE NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE ON TELEVISION!!!! You know, grab the audience by the throat right off the bat!
    4) Point 3 demonstrates why this needs to be on a pay channel.
    5) Early episodes focus on many characters and the entire change in the galaxy. Escaped Jedi, Smugglers, regular folks, etc.
    6) Major characters from the films will not ever be seen, only mentioned. Towards a season finale Vader or the Emperor could appear.
    7) If the seasons progress, start bringing characters together, bring in the Bounty Hunters! Kill off main characters in the series. Make it dangerous.
    8.) Tie it up at the end, just after the battle of Yavin. Characters go their own ways.
    9) Throughout the series, the true nature of the Empire should be shown in full brutality. Almost like Nazi Germany was, the anti-alien aspect and such.

At least that is what I would do with a series like this! :)

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    For a movie that people like to pass off as "not good" as if that were a factual statement instead of an opinion, it certainly did well at the box office.

And I look forward to seeing it again, maybe more than once, like I did in 1999. I saw both TPM and AOTC about 10 times in the theater. (And I'm proud to say that I only saw ROTS once, and that was at the $1 theater.)

I've enjoyed TCW series for the most part; I'm getting a little disillusioned on the not-so-brilliant idea of bringing back Darth Maul. As far as a live action series, it would depend on where its focus was as to whether I'd be interested.

I like Dave Filoni; my only complaint is that he Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu's his favorite characters. I've been assuming that Katie Lucas is going to inherit the Lucasfilm franchise but Filoni would still be heavily involved.

11. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    "Twilight" and "TruBlood" are also popular and successful, but you won't find me considering either to be Good.
    But, that is my Opinion.
    Also, in my opinion, there is a big difference in those three terms and what they mean. Or is that fact... Gosh, it is so easy to confuse the meanings of words...

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Popular" doesn't mean good, and people are entitled to think TPM isn't good. I'm mainly addressing the assumption that seems to be around in this thread that TPM 3D is going to flop at the box office. There is really no way to predict that at this point.

As far as Titanic, the ship's initial emergence on screen, and "propeller guy", might be worth seeing in 3D. Not much else. I'm not planning to go.

TPM, on the other hand, has several scenes that will be awesome in 3D. I still can't get over how stunning the Blu-Ray is.

13. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I think that pretty much proves the "3d as gimmick" point pretty resoundingly.

14. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I don't know why Lucas listens to negtive people. An artist is always going to get those crowds who don't like your work, or just love to hate you. He should make the films for himself, not because he thinks people are yelling at him. Hmm...the internet is completely, utterly damaging I'm convinced. I think Lucas is going on the net too much and reading what **** are typing on the net. He should stay off the net completely, if that is where he is getting his info from. Lucas is a genius and Star Wars is inspiring, what the hell???? And the prequels didn't suck, not if you are a true Star Wars fan.

Watch your language, please

15. Nagai

Nov 15, 2010

Tales from the Empire would be the best.

16. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    [image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/300/s/swunder1.jpg]

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I wold totally go see an animated 3D Dark Empire series.

18. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    If nothing else, I think Lucas, while trying to tell a story to the masses, has always written what he has for himself first and foremost. You also have to remember at the end of the day, these movies are really intended for children, just like the OT was for most of us. I was a year old when ROTJ came out, so I never saw the hype at the time over the movies, but I did grow up on them as a child, and that's why they remain close to my heart. You'll have to understand, Kids that were 5 or 6 when the new ones came out, have those same feelings for the PT, because to a lot of them, that IS their OT.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    More like Luca$, amirite?

20. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Just means they have worst taste than we did. There may be some childhood nostalgia going on, but the OT are really objectively better than the PT on a number of levels.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    He should make the films for himself, not because he thinks people are yelling at him.

Red Tails must sincerely be the result of his personal interest in the airmen history. It certainly doesn't have any merchandising potential, and it looks like it will barely earn back its listed production budget in U.S. box office. I'd guess it has zero foreign box office potential, but Lucas must have known that.

Even though the movie isn't much good, I do respect Lucas for consciously making a movie that isn't just a 2 hour advertisement to sell happy meal toys and Halloween costumes.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I've already heard several people here ask when Red Tails is released in this country, hardly zero overseas appeal.

I think it's ironic that Lucas had a lot more input in the first 2 series which were good and not in the following series which was not as good.

And Underworld is a good title for the LAS, given that, you know, it's about the criminal underworld. It's not about Jedi and as far as I can tell it's not a lot about the Empire.

The Prequels are bad Star Wars movies, they aren't bad movies on their own. Sure they aren't that good, but that's entirely different from being bad (Batman & Robin is bad, Pearl Harbour is bad, the Prequels are not in that league at all). They are solid 3 star movies, and there's nothing wrong with average.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Correct, because they are atrociously horrible movies on their own. At least Batman and Robin and Pearl Harbor have so bad they're good going for it.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Oh cmon man, they're watchable and have many decent moments.I'm willing to bet most people here who bash them do actually own them, but I haven't seen B&R since I watched it in the cinema and never would watch it again. I can and do watch the Prequels often, even if parts of them make me shout at the TV.

The Originals had poor dialogue and acting also, but much of it was overlooked because the movies were made better. Had Irven Kershner directed the PT it may have turned out very different, but it would still have retained most of the original story.

Critics and fans alike let their love of the OT blight their views of the PT as movies. It's like when critics bash something for being unlike the book it was meant to be based on intead of analysing it as a film in its own right.

Could the PT have been better, of course. Are they cinematic abominations? Hardly

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think people also throw in the idea that he prequels are not what they thought pre-SW was supposed to be. And it is true that GL threw in new things as he made them(There was no such thing as Qui Gon anywhere until a few drafts of TPM came around).

But to call them bad films is just silly IMO. I can sit and watch he entire Saga all day and it's still fun.