Saga George Lucas retiring from SW films (What does this mean for the future of SW?)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by fistofan1, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    Enough people bought them to post tons of reviews online, text & video, and to post 1 star reviews on Amazon etc. That sends a real loud message, which is, "We're not really serious."

At any rate, this is never going to change.
    If this causes any distress in a person's life, I seriously recommend they take a year and get completely away from everything Star Wars; it's not worth the stress. Believe it or not, I promise these people they will find something else they love much more in life than SW, and the situation with the various re-cuts will probably cease to bother them.
  2. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Not all the people posting reviews on Amazon actually bought the set. In fact, some of those reviews were on there before the thing was even released.
  3. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank you for an exquisitely concise post, Darth_Nub. All that info is much appreciated. :)

Yeah, this thread has veered wildly off-course, and I must share in some of the blame for that.

In brief:

I think the tweets cited by Katie Lucas just show how frustrated and defiant she became in the wake of endless attacks on her father and his legacy. You can say she acted like a "child", but those comments also reveal the indomitable spirit of a young adult, fighting back against the untamed excesses of the world. I can hardly blame her for a small show of pugnacity. Also, if Katie Lucas, still a relatively young person (and youth culture, and the length of one's youth, are forever widening), can be regarded in such a negative manner, what does that say of the grown men and women (presumably, in most cases, at least her age, and in many cases, significantly older) who chose to notice or read about her tweets in the first place and get mad about them? There is a distinct lack of self-control and self-respect somewhere here -- and I don't think it starts or ends with Katie Lucas.
  4. Drewton Force Ghost

star 4
    So in other words...we should all get off this board.

I'm not even a diehard Star Wars fan - I'm just a casual fan these days who cares more about other films, like The Dark Knight and even ( :eek: ) Star Trek. So don't act like I have an unhealthy obsession.

What's your reasoning for saying that it's a teeny tiny market? I'd think that most fans who saw the originals in theaters would want to buy them, and also a lot of fans of simply cinema. And the restoration wouldn't even cost that much money.

Again, I don't know much about Harry Potter, so I can't comment on that. Yeah, he does have backlash to the extreme of being a child abuser, but not anywhere NEAR to the extent that Michael Jackson had it. Before his death, it was hard to find anyone who wouldn't make fun of him without thinking twice. But anyways, what's your point?

I think he and his films will be more respected when he dies. The hate will probably stop at least.

I highly, highly doubt that 90% of the people who gave it 1 star reviews had actually bought the set.

...did anyone watch the Lucas interview on Oprah?
  5. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Pugnacity?

What ever happened to telling the truth?

Or is that so last century?
  6. mandragora Force Ghost

star 4
    I highly, highly doubt that all those people would buy the DVDs (can't comment on the costs). I think that the vast majority are quite content with the DVDs that already exist.

My point is that the vilification he receives is completely out of proportion, and that there's nothing he's said or done to justify it.
  7. Drewton Force Ghost

star 4
    Let's agree to disagree on that one then.

I agree, to extent. He has done nothing to justify the hate from extremists that he's gotten - just don't lump those together with the more reasonable complainers.
  8. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, give it a rest.

I was talking about the other quotes cited not too far before my last post; not specifically the Han one.

Incidentally, the Han quotation... I can't actually find it. Assuming she said "Han NEVER shot first", which is the exact way several posters have typed it out in this thread, then, as I said and explained before, that isn't incorrect.

What's more, I think the eradication of Vader's old line in TESB in favour of a totally new one, the punchy "Bring my shuttle!", to the drippy "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival", is far more egregious than some moderate tinkering of a scene where the possibility of Greedo getting off an early shot against Han, and Han being quicker on the draw, always existed anyway; even if Lucas chooses to possibly fudge facts (or not). But you know the other thing about that TESB change? I still accept it. I don't like it, but I accept it.
  9. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    Get off the boards?
    Yes. I think some people need to seriously get away from SW, until it is more realistically integrated into their lives.
    Whether or not that applies to you is a personal matter.
    If something makes you angry, robs you of joy, put it away.
    There are too many people unhealthily obsessed with these movies.
    I think many "fans" need to get away from it.
    And I wasn't talking about other "franchises" I was talking about LIFE. Getting your head out of fantasy and into life.
    No movies should be this important to anyone.
    SW did not define a generation. It was a wildly popular movie, that is all. There is no "Ben Hur" generation or "Avatar" generation, and there's no "Star Wars" generation.
    Nothing should mean so much to you that it makes you unhappy.
    Even if you are doing incredibly important work for the benefit of humanity, you need balance in your life, and sometimes, you need to walk away from the things you care about, to become unattached. This really works and it puts the joy & passion back into things.
    So, yes, I believe that many fans should unplug, put SW in a box, and get into other things. Start a band, make your own movie, get involved in a worthy cause, whatever, but do it instead of SW. Every time you want to watch SW or do something SW-related, do something else instead. Do it until SW loses its importance, then it will regain its value.
    I say this to no one in particular, but generally.

After RotS, I took a 3 year break from SW. Since then, it's mostly been some of the comics and books & the CW series. I watch the movies once a year. It's really kept the whole thing fresh for me.
  10. mandragora Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm sorry that I can't put it away just like that. I've been a Star Wars fan for over 30 years. Not to the extent that I've been obsessing over Star Wars day and night. But I've been a fan, I appreciate GL as an artist, and as far as interviews and reports can tell, as a human being. The news that he's going to retire for good now is sad enough for me.

But that these haters apparently had a part in that decision, and their reactions (like celebrating that announcement)... it's just too much to simply put it away.
  11. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Good Lord. I didn't even work a full day today, and this thread exploded while I was gone.

I agree. And for the sake of full disclosure, I was upset enough over certain aspects of ROTS that I refused to pay full price for it in the theater, only saw it in the $1 theater at my husband's insistence, and then took a few years away from the fandom. The difference? I didn't e-mail Lucas and tell him that he sucked because he didn't make the movie my way. I didn't troll SW message boards where many posters liked the film, and tell those posters that they didn't have any taste.

This is not directed at anyone in this thread, but really, anyone who spends most of his or her SW fandom time talking about how much Lucas sucks or how the last good movie was the original ROTJ (or the original ESB), needs to find another hobby.

Amen. I read Katie Lucas' defense of her father and I applauded. She may be involved in Lucasfilm professionally but he is her father. It's one thing to accept constructive criticism of his work and respond as a professional, but she should not have to tolerate childish insults directed at him, much less death threats.

I can't speak for anyone else my age, but I wouldn't unless they were very cheap, and I would hope they'd include some new features or new interviews with Lucas. I still have my 1995 VHS tapes of the O-OT, but I can't think of the last time I watched them. I wouldn't mind having those converted to DVD format, not because I care about remastering them, but because I don't want to lose the Lucas/Bill Moyers interviews when I get rid of my last VCR. I still have a VCR/DVD combo in my bedroom.

I didn't even buy the 2006 box sets, and not just because that's when I was taking my fandom break. I have the 2004 DVDs and the Blu-Rays.

I don't think anyone in this thread has done that, although maybe the polite critics get lumped in with the "haters" elsewhere. I'll agree that the two should not be lumped together, but most of the criticism I've seen have been against those directing personal insults at Lucas and cheering his retirement.

This is the one area in which I much prefer the O-OT. Why that line was changed, I don't understand.

But again, not worth attacking Luca
  12. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    Yep, and the thread has become yet another one of ?those threads?. How did I guess that would happen?
  13. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Because the thread has the words "George" and "Lucas" in the title? [face_whistling]
  14. skywalker_san Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, since the redlettermedia reviews are mentioned in every still Star Wars thread... Is it just me that find the whole concept of a feature-length review fundamentally wrong (just as Stolkasa claims the prequels to be)? Doesn't that kill the purpose of a review? And doesn't it seem that all the redlettermedia apologists all make the same arguments "per verbatim"? There are two kinds of posts by these guys: either will post a link for the reviews and say that everything is there and it's funny to boot! Or that the reviews are so accurate that they even bring up things that everyone thought about, but never found the right words to say it.

I'm sorry that this seems out of topic but, when looked into things, these retirement is mobilizing those "fans" to take Star Wars off the Lucas' bloodline's hands (it is not an exaggeration, they actually believe it's in the BLOOD) and will try now more than ever to change the saga to fit their own vision (which is extremly ironic considering their views on Lucas' actions). And in the end, these were the fans that, ultimately, led to Lucas' retirement. It's not just them, but they are a big part... as it was mentioned before the tweets directed to her (and I've seen them, as I followed her) were that inflamatory as were the talkbacks in aintitcool (talk about her being Jabba and her sister being a lesbian, because she's a MMA fighter, and who disagrees felattios Lucas everyday) that a lot of moviemakers have access to and even post there... They somewhat see this as Lucas saying "I give up! Have it your way!" And they will comply.
  15. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Wow. These "fans" are homophobic too?

Not that I should be surprised.

I've seen some of the proposals for the way the prequels, and ROTJ for that matter, should have been done, and I can only hope that those who made the proposals, are never allowed near Lucas' Star Wars. Anakin/Vader never loving Padme, Luke and Leia being conceived through rape, Leia being a "damsel in distress," and Leia having an incestuous affair with Bail Organa were among some of the more horrifying ones.
  16. skywalker_san Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh yeah, the "Darkness" and "Grit" that they claim it was taken out off Star Wars. Star Wars, the movie that was a couple of charred corpses away from earning a "G" rating. That has always been rated PG (save for episode III's PG-13, ironically one of the prequels).
  17. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    I guess everyone just wants to pretend that the retirement comment means something hu?

Well i said it before and i will keep on repeating myself until it sticks. THIS DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING. Lucas IS NOT retiring! He has declared retirement 4 or 5 times before in the past and it DID NOT mean anything then just like it DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING now. He was ALREDY NEVER going to (somehow) make more star wars movies because the saga ended with episode 3 ROTS. The man has gotten blue in the face saying over and over again to EVERYONE that he will never make a "sequel trilogy". There is no such thing.

He is doing a new indiana jones movie, he is doing the clone wars tv show, he is bringing back the whole star wars saga in 3D one by one until 2017! He just did Red Tails which had a great opening weekend and is STILL doing great! All that and thats still not even counting his famous "experimental films" he has always been talking about doing. The man is NOT retiring in the slightest!

If anything he made that comment on purpose just to help stun the fan venom and help the buzz of TPM 3D. It seems to be working like a charm! I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that it was all Dave Filoni's idea down the line. Hes an actual fan so he would know just what to tell Lucas to do in order to at least stun the hateboys and help create some positive buzz.

1.)The fanboys have finally shut up (for a while at least) because his retirement is secretly all they ever really wanted anyway.
    2.)Whatever fanboys who deep down actually have some small amount of genuine star wars love will now also shut up and go see TPM out of nostalgia because they think lucas is retired.

Thats not me predicting the future...THATS WHATS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. Go look. I have been to some of the worst fanboys sites since this happened and to my disbelief a lot of people are actually pulling a 180 on their lucas hate! You see people saying things like "this makes me sad" and "gee i wish lucas would reconsider". I have even seen a pettition on reddit with the same fanboys who useto bash and boycott all year round now actually putting together a pettition to "get lucas to not retire" lol![face_laugh]

My point is that this news seems to be doing the impossible and turning hateboys into lucas fans again.

I would be willing to bet my life that Dave told George "look just tell them your retiring and make it out to be some sort of surrender because thats all they really want anyway" and just look at how its been working like a charm. Its brilliant if anything. Is there really no one else here who sees this?
  18. Drewton Force Ghost

star 4
    Yup. Nothing has changed whatsoever. He said on 60 Minutes in 2005 that after Indiana Jones he'd only be making art films which no one would care about (his words, IIRC).
  19. skywalker_san Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually that is also true... I'm also seeing a lot of compassion over Lucas over the most unlikely places, some of them even scolding the fanboys and haters (and they are rebutting in their usual trollish way). Even those who aren't big fans of the prequels and the SEs are scoling them (which I'm not surprised since not liking the prequels isn't equal to lacking common sense), and they are fierce. So there might be some hope for the Internet after all.
  20. obi-rob-kenobi4 Force Ghost

star 4
    THIS!

If we take the time and energy to challenge the haters now more than ever than DO IT! Logic will always win out over ignorance and blind hate which is BLATANTLY what the hateboys and trolls are. Let your opinions be firmly known! Dont ever let them make you feel outnumbered because there IS more people who generally love star wars than those who blindly partake in the trend of hating it for tired and made up reasons.

Now is probably are best chance at taking back the internet from these smug trolls and killing the hate fad once and for all! Realize it and help make a difference. Don't ever let anyone make you feel ashamed of being an ACTUAL star wars fan ever again! We humiliated them with the blu-ray sales before x-mas even came. We exposed how small they truly are with the blu-ray sales and now we have the SAGA returning to the big screen with great anticipation.
  21. mandragora Force Ghost

star 4
    Nah, that's actually you trying to read his mind. ;)

I know he's been talking about "retiring" before, but AFAIK this is the first he's talking about actually moving away from the company.

I hope you're right of course. But he's 67 now and I wouldn't be surprised at all if at this point he's had enough of all that hateboy crap.
  22. skywalker_san Jedi Knight

star 1
    Someone in the Star Wars Community board suggested the possibility that Lucas is secretly dying that's why is retiring. A bit dramatic, but... *shudder*.

But here are two cases of, even today, how bad Internet hate gets:

The worst one is the second link, because Cracked has pretty good articles, but they can't resist to bash Star Wars every chance they get! Even if the article is completly unrelated! One actually had a picture of Lucas and a caption saying "You'll never love a woman as much as this guy hates his fans." My previous post brings some hope, but when the next day you see this... it's disheartnening. Just think of how George Lucas feels...
  23. Drewton Force Ghost

star 4
    This is completely false, IMO. Someone's just trying to start a story.

Lucas has wanted to get away from blockbusters since 1977.
  24. BoromirsFan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I would hope he makes some more films to silence his critics.

I am personally satisfied with the prequels.

I liked Indy IV but on repeat viewings i found the film to be boring...which the Star Wars prequels are not.

But Cryo, your rich viewpoints will probably make me put the film in for another spin. I hope i can enjoy it as much as you! :D

Though i find the Fridge nuking scene to be funny in a silly way. I didn't take it seriously....Was it meant to be?
  25. drg4 Force Ghost

star 4
    That's rather human though, isn't it? Being so hopelessly tethered to your object of hatred that the mere possibility of dissolution elicits ambiguous, even benevolent stirrings?

It's happened to me on several occasions. Just a month ago, I choked back tears upon learning of the death of writer Christopher Hitchens, whom I detested for supporting the Iraq occupation. Despite harboring a very formidable hatred, all I was left with was a cocktail of sorrow and shame, the latter stemming from my own failures in properly confronting/engaging the world.

We're strange little creatures.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.