Saga George Lucas retiring from SW films (What does this mean for the future of SW?)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by fistofan1, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Okay.

Let's all take a long, deep breath.

Here is the article in which George Lucas announces his 'retirement':

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&bl

Here is the quote everyone is going nuts about:

In this particular instance, he's referring to not making more SW movies - something he's made clear anyway since 2005, fanboy reactions or not. It's a quick swipe against the extreme reactions, not the reason for this retirement.

For the most part, the rest of the article is about Red Tails, & it's the difficulties he experienced making it & getting it distributed that led to his decision to step away from the business of filmmaking. Before you start going on about how The Fanboy Menace drove GL away, read the article, people.
  2. mandragora Force Ghost

star 4
    I think we've all read the article by now. That's what it also says:

So, no. It's not just about not making more Star Wars movies, it's about moving away from the company, from "all this kind of stuff", as I have pointed out and others have pointed out before. I don't know that he ever said that before.

To argue that he wouldn't make more Star Wars movies because of hateboy menace, but he would be perfectly willing to make the Live Action series despite hateboy menace seems a bit far fetched to me. After all, they're not just yelling at him because of the movies.
  3. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    They're not making the Live Action TV Series, though. It's sitting in development limbo, & could sit there forever.

Even if they did, though, GL's involvement would most likely be along the same lines as TCW. Keep an eye on things at the start, make sure they're on the right track, then let them do their own thing. Same as most Executive Producers.

Anyway, the point was that GL announcing his retirement was a reaction to his having experienced the same rubbish today as he did from studios in the 1970s over THX-1138, American Graffiti & Star Wars - and this time, it was personal. Red Tails was one of those 'small, personal' films he nurtured for years in the hope that he would one day have the opportunity to make them without the same sort of studio meddling- the SW & Indy franchises were just means to that end, money-making machines to eventually support his real filmmaking dreams.
    His divorce from Marcia in 1983 crippled that for a very long time, but he clawed his way back, put LFL back on the map with the the SW revival, the SE's, the PT - then, with SW done, it was finally time to make one of these films, & with the clout you would expect GEORGE LUCAS to have, you'd think 'Red Tails' wouldn't run into the same obstacles from the ignorant suits he had to deal with in the 1970s, but it did.

Despite what many think of GL, it's quite clear that he's a very passionate person who takes things to heart - if he can be bothered caring. The fanboy backlash over SW he's been brushing aside for years, but Red Tails was something he did care about, & the studio rejection was a very old wound that was re-opened. It's as if your father told you throughout your childhood & teenage years that you'd never be good at anything, never get a job - then years later, you've made millions, run a dozen companies, then your old man has nothing to say about it, except that everything you do is rubbish anyway, regardless of how much money it makes, you still can't get anything right.
    That's not what GL's actual father said (I'm sure he was as proud as anyone could be over his son's success), but you get the point. Love that stuff that made a fortune, but we still don't trust you to do anything different. Do another SW movie, we'll get Brad Pitt to play an older Han Solo, then he can be the new Indiana Jones. Leave that stuff about the 'coloureds' for Spike Lee to ruin his career with.
  4. mandragora Force Ghost

star 4
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree, then. Of course the studio experiences are frustrating. I think it had more to do with the movie having an all-black cast than with GL personally.

As for the hateboy issue, yes, he's brushed it aside before. But for some people, as you grow older, you're less willing to put up with all sorts of crap. At some point, you're fed up and you simply walk away. Plus, there's this daughter thing.

I'm not saying the hateboy menace was the only reason, but in my opinion, it played a part in it. His statement about the "terrible person" stands. From where I stand, it's a shame that it went so far we even have to discuss that possibility. Name me one other fandom where you have to consider the possibility that the creator steps down because of the fans.
  5. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Ah, but that's just the specific problem the studio had with the film - and I can see GL being absolutely furious with such an attitude in the Foul Year Of our Lord 2011. I never said they had a problem with GL himself, just as they didn't in the 1970s. It's just that they still don't 'get' the films, or the audiences. As far as they're concerned, they're still the money guys, he's still the arty-farty type. The $3 billion changing hands over the last 30 years - largely due to the initial visions of one man -doesn't seem to have changed their attitude one bit. Star Wars worked, Indiana Jones worked, but coloured fighter pilots? Now, now, let's not get carried away...
    It's just flat-out ignorance, GL worked his butt off for decades so he wouldn't have to deal with it - then he did anyway. In the next century, no less.

I don't think it's ever happened, & while I may have downplayed the effect the SW backlash may have had on GL, I don't actually think he cares enough about SW from a personal point of view to let it get to him too much. That said, I imagine the personal attacks must rattle him a fair bit, hence the comment he made. It'd be enough for him not to make any further SW films, but I don't think he wanted to make any more anyway. Enough to turn him away from his lifelong passion, however? I don't think so.

If there was ever to be a franchise where the creator was driven away by fan reactions - positive, negative or downright insane - yes, it would be Star Wars. I don't think that's what happened here in the very specific way that people are suggesting, although anyone would have to admit that it must have played a part in wearing him down.

FWIW, I don't think we necessarily have to 'agree to disagree' anyway, it's just a question of what specifically prompted GL to throw his hands up and say "I've had enough of this crap!", and he's the only person who could really answer that. Personally, I'd have chucked it in at the time the phrase "raped my childhood" was coined. [face_peace]
  6. Nordom Jedi Master

star 4
    Sadly Lucas is far from the only person to suffer these kinds of attacks.

Peter Jackson has had quite a lot of bile get thrown at him. Some Tolkien purist felt that him making an adaptation of the LotR books was "The Crime of the Century" and he should be arrested for it. One even went so far as to say that what PJ did was in every way as bad as what Hitler did in the Holocaust. So making a movie based on a book is just as bad as murdering millions???? Others condemned him for not beign married to his partner and that his children will burn in Hell for it.

Stephen King has got lots of hateful comments thrown at him, he even mentioned this in the Foreword of a new Ed. of one of the Dark Tower books. Some of the comments seemed to be that some people wished that King had died in that car accident and this would have been a good thing.

It is sad but the best thing to do is to try and ignore it.

Regards
    Nordom
  7. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    That's definitely not his role in CW. He created the series, cast all of the creative crew, concocts most of the plotlines, sits in on story meetings, rewrites dialogue, and pretty much executive-edits every episode. He's into it up to his ears!

The live action series would be like producing 3 SW movies every year. I have a feeling he's going to take a pass even if the "technology" became available. He's pushing 70!

Red Tails was a huuuuuge step in the right direction. I love TCW, but he's really touched a nerve with the audience (the AA audience), he should keep going in that direction. Blockbusters be damned. I want some more of the real GL before he becomes one with the Force.
  8. Sistros Force Ghost

star 6

the exact quote was:

I just hope he isn't retiring because he's really sick and hasn't told anyone about it.

so please don't accuse people of "trying to start a story" without reading the context of the thread first.

[face_peace]
  9. drg4 Force Ghost

star 4
    True, but the difference is that Jackson and King are not vilified by the broader culture: the former is recognized for crafting the most popular epic of the past decade while the latter continues to be lauded by everyone outside of the literati.

A question: How many Lucas-centered articles have neglected to give a passing reference to the disappointment engendered by the PT and/or the various special editions?-or, more tellingly, a snide editorial comment?
  10. skywalker_san Jedi Knight

star 1
    I read that as "secretly mortally ill". It's the first thing that comes to someone's head... But of course it probabçy not the case. I hope.
  11. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    OMG, just like Steve Jobs! :eek:

There's, like, a rumour going around that George Lucas has been dead since 1994, and, like, you know, they've been trying to keep, like, all the Star Wars stuff going to make money and, like, Jar-Jar was really the organic version of C-3PO before he became a robot and they, like, used the same technology to turn Jar-Jar into C-3PO as they did to turn Anakin Skywalker into Darth Vader? You know? But they lost all that stuff after George Lucas went crazy and burnt up his office and blew his brains out? So they got stuck with Jar-Jar and didn't know what to, like, do with him?

It was on the Interwebz, so it must be true?
  12. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I agree, and I earlier pointed out this same quote to suggest that he is talking about more than not making any more SW movies (which we've known) or blockbuster movies. He does seem to be talking about SW in general, and LucasFilm. I see it as him saying he is retiring from those entities / franchises, and that they'll continue without him. To that end, I think TCW will be completed as planned, but I doubt the Live Action Series will ever come to fruition. And I hope the 3D movie releases will continue one per year as planned.

13. StormTrooper1776 Jedi Master

star 4
    The real reason why GL is retiring is because he has always thought he was a great director/writer.After he made Red Tails,and everyone hated it,it opened GL eyes and he now realizes that he is a horrible screen writer.I wish he would of made Red Tails before the prequels came out.
  14. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    I hope you're joking!

He didn't write or direct Red Tails, and he has always been candid about the fact that he's not a great writer or dramatist. The announcement came before Red Tails was releases. And Red Tails is turning into a "sleeper hit." I've seen the film and I think it's wonderful; many fine films have kinks, don't have mass appeal, and receive critical censure on their original release. His "retirement" (which still hasn't been confirmed by an official announcement) seems more like the inevitable end to a self-sustained production system that could never last forever. Eventually, he was going to have to change his business model and pursue more modest projects. He's an independent person, he's not going to go to studios begging for cash and work under their systems, nor is he going to form something like "Dreamworks." Having produced/directed 11 of the most successful films of all time (AG, SW 1-6, IJ) & produced one of the most successful tv series of our time (TCW), he can walk away a satisfied man.
  15. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
  16. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    LOL! There's no accounting for taste!

Although I will say that if he had done the Ewoks now, in CG, they could've looked just like Ralph McQurrie's beautiful concept paintings.
  17. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4
    The real reason why GL is retiring is because he has always thought he was a great director/writer.After he made Red Tails,and everyone hated it,it opened GL eyes and he now realizes that he is a horrible screen writer.I wish he would of made Red Tails before the prequels came out.

Lucas DID NOT write or direct "RED TAILS". He only produced it. And since I have not seen the movie yet (and a good number of others), I can't judge it for myself.
  18. shanerjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Fans of Lucas will just have to realize they're dealing with hardened idealogues. They will attack his writing if he didn't write it. They will attack his directing if he didn't direct it.
    It's no different than the political discourse in this country. Some people are kool-aid drinkers and no facts will dissuade them.
  19. Eternity85 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    You know that great artists are never appreciated in their own time; guess Lucas should be flattered :)
  20. Gallandro Chosen One

star 4
    Well ultimately I suspect this is the beginning of the end for the Star Wars Saga. However, I do suspect we will see Underworld some time down the road in 3-4 years, and I suspect we will continue to see Star Wars on TV in animated form. But new theatrical releases? No. And I suspect the 3-D releases of the films will be the last time the movies are shown on the big screen in any type of wide distribution.

Finally, after George passes, we will most certainly never see Star Wars in any type of media format, with the exception of maybe books.

As I've said before it has been a tremendous ride and I thank George for all of the wonderful memories he's given me over these last 35 years.

Yancy
  21. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    I wouldn't bet on that.
  22. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    Like Steve Jobs a few months ago, within hours of Lucas's death, all of this bogus hyper-criticism will disappear & everyone will be falling over themselves to eulogize him & say how they always "got it" etc. Sad.

Not that he's dying for recognition or admirers. He has a millions-strong fanbase & has received an unreal number of "lifetime achievement" awards. And he's stankin' rich.

But it's annoying to be following someone's career & every time you find an article about them, it is rancidly cynical & 90% cut/pasted from a million other identical articles...
  23. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Not me. The world's far worse off for Steve Jobs' twisted vision of a human race completely reliant upon technology for day-to-day interaction & the simplest tasks, while it's better off for the delivery of simple, innocent entertainment by George Lucas. Nothing GL has done has caused anything that you could call 'harm'. Cult-like reliance upon pointless gadgets, however...

When GL passes away, I will truly mourn him, he brought enjoyment to my life, perhaps more than any other artist, filmmaker or otherwise. I will celebrate his successes, I will regret his failures, but I'm damned if I'll elevate him to some sort of idiotic God-like status. The most hardcore SW fans aren't as bad as the Jonestown-style Apple disciples.

It's not like you get Star Wars fans queueing for hours & even days outside cinemas just for the latest release of-

Oh, wait...
  24. Krueger Chosen One

star 4
    I don?t know. I?m not trying to sound morbid, and I hope that George has many years ahead of him, but couldn?t he have something in his will that states that once he?s dead, affectively so is Star Wars? He comes across as someone who will take it to the grave with him.
  25. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    I really don't know what to say other then he should do what he feels is best for himself. I will always enjoy the movies. I still hope he does a few things behind the scenes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.