main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas retiring...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If he dies? Like if he hasn't learned any secrets to immortality from the Sith? :p

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    George Lucas has more power than the average director or artist in general. That's good for him, because I know that was his goal. But its not the best thing for the product. People get better as artists by receiving criticism. If I paint something and it looks fine to me, but those around me tell me that something doesn't look right, maybe they see something I don't. Lucas doesn't have that, and when it comes to something like his tinkering with the originals, a lot of people wanted it to stop, but he does it anyway with an attitude like "it's my movie, I'll do what I want." And in the end, I can't think of one person that has said that they prefer Greedo shooting first, or that they prefer Vader yelling "no" when he saves Luke. At best there is indifference, and at worst hate. And Lucas has to know this, and does know it. Yet he does it because it will make him happier, not because anyone around him critiqued Star Wars and suggested those as a way to improve.

People like to say that no other fanbase would be this way (which isn't true), but most other fanbases don't have to deal with such apathy from the artist towards them. He set himself up as creator, director, executive producer, and writer. Really that leaves everyone around him to be "yes men." Lucas isn't credited as a director nor as a writer for TCW, but he interferes in those roles. Stan Lee was creator of Marvel, but do you think he walks in on the shooting X-Men etc, and starts dictating things? Movies are a collaboration, and by taking on all the biggest roles, doing the hiring, etc he's removed anyone that can really dispute him. In ESB, the director - not being Lucas - could suggest improvements and look at things differently and could offer Lucas a critique.

Filoni's not going to do that/can't do that. If Lucas wanted that kind of control he should be made himself supervising director. Like when it comes to Maul, Lucas pretty much just tells him to make it happen and then goes off and does his own thing, dealing with his other projects. Nevermind the fact that Filoni might be completely opposed to bringing Maul back, but he can't really challenge Lucas on that, and in interviews he's never going to admit to it, but in interviews when he is asked a question about why something deviated in a way it does, you can just tell when Filoni is like "hey, don't look at me, it was Lucas"

Now I'm not saying the prequels and TCW suck. But with the way Lucas runs their production, he prevents them from being better than they could, because he doesn't allow for opposing ideas. A group of people can still come up with bad ideas, but it's less likely than when one person dictates everything.

In music, writing, and painting its no different. If you want to market it as a product, you have producers and editors that you have to collaborate with that will help develop the product. If you're at home playing on the piano or making home movies, nobody can tell you what you do. Lucas wanted to take that kind of freedom and make movies like that, and people say good for him, but the person writing private fan-fiction without any source of criticism is almost surely writing worse than the person who has a book deal and editor, etc. Lucas' methods don't have that kind of quality control, because he is the editor and writer.

If Star Wars existed as some personal stories that he wrote in a notebook that were never going to be published, then nobody would care. But they were produced as movies, and it built up a loyal fan base, but then he's out of touch with how to please them. And when it comes to something as simple as further re-editing of the OT, it was a simple matter of not doing it, and he pushed on well aware of the fact that he was probably going to irk more people than he pleased. And as fans, those that are legitimate complaints. Saying that such people are ungrateful is condescending. I also don't think seeing Wizard of Oz and Gulliver's Travels in Star Wars form was on the top of anybody's list on directions in which they wanted to see Star Wars taken.

If Lucas

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Well, Im about to watch Red Tails. I heared many critics did not enjoy it but we'll see for me.

4. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Another angle to consider on why George is finally fed up with the fans... his daughter Katie was an avid Twitter user and frequently interacted with the fans, I know this because i was following her. Well after the Blu-ray release, fans started heckling her personally and telling her that her dad "raped their childhood" and she decided to try to actually respond to them. Needless to say, using the term rape in that context with a woman has some seriously f-ed up connations considering the issues women have to deal with in relation to that subject given the way society is. She called out these guys for using this term and did her best to stay on twitter, ignore some of the hate, and defend her dad, but eventually she either just blocked everyone or started a new private account. With the avalanche of crap she got from "fans", i'm sure it got back to her Dad...

If you were her Dad, and these a-holes were going after your daughter like this... wouldn't it effect the way you respond to the fans? Its one thing to attack George, but going after his daughter may have been too much for him.

TetsuAero likes this.
  5. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Well to use "fan" plus the actions you described in the same sentence would suggest that they aren't fans at all. Maybe they were at one point. I will say that it was fairly unwise to try to respond to those people. Imagine if Mel Gibson was tweeting with fans of his. Plenty of people who aren't fans of his would still jump in just to heckle him, and no good would come out of him trying to respond. The only thing he really would be able to do in that hypothetical situation would be to ignore it (I don't use Twitter, so I don't know what kind of privacy options it has, etc.)

On a completely different note, I do consider myself a fan of Lucas' and of the movies and TCW. I just think the prequels and TCW would be better if he/had he restricted his role a bit more and let some of the other people shine with their own ideas/talents.

6. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Good point, Tarados, I was a bit surprised she actually tried to respond. Perhaps she had an innocent view of society and didn't realize the kind of hate that would spew out of the hellmouth of fandom ;)

I have to say that Mel Gibson is an extreme example considering all the weird stuff that has gone down in his personal and professional life. Does GL really merit that same kind of vitriol?

7. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    It's different in that Mel Gibson actually has done bad stuff, but there are just some celebrities that will have hecklers follow them no matter what. Someone that might not even like Star Wars might just heckle him to emulate South Park or Red Letter Media.

8. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    Yes [face_dancing]

9. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    It's getting butchered by critics. Apparently it's corny and not angsty enough.. I thought it was a decent popcorn movie with some good heroic lead african americans that aren't being sterotypically "gangsta" for once (Like in every other Hollywood movie). Memorable? No Corny? Yes Could it have been better? Yes But as a start for movies that can show the history of black people and offer good heroic role models it was fantasic.

10. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    I thought it was a very memorable film with a few false steps. But you know, "Apocalypse Now" got bad reviews! Red Tails isn't A.N. but it isn't trying to be. It's a very good film with wonderful performances from the leads and a well written, quirky script. Watch More American Graffiti -- Lucas isn't going to remake everyone else's war movie. He used many different WW2 era sources -- Hollywood movies, American comic books, documentary footage, testimony from the pilots etc. -- to tell the story *his* way. Definitely catch Red Tails!

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I note theres a general assumption to this news that Lucas is just talking about retiring from making "blockbusters" but that the whole Star Wars industry will continue, just with someone else at the helm. I wouldn't be at all sure of that.

When he says; ?I?m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff? I think its much more likely that over the next two or three years, the whole thing will be wound down. The TV series' (certainly the live action series is never going to happen, clearly) The books. The games. The toys. I wouldn't be surprised if in five years time we're back to the late 1980's with really nothing Star Wars out there at all.

I suspect its all coming to a final end and this time the full stop will be forever.

12. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    I found this story and his crybaby reaction absolutely hilarious.

It's beyond mocking really.

13. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I sure hope not. :(

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    But it's very important to remember that this wasn't a case of people invading the private life of George Lucas's daughter.

Katie Lucas is an adult woman who has chosen to become a part of the Star Wars machine by taking a job writing for her dad's show. She also made some rather ignorant comments ("Han NEVER shot first!"). Heated response to those has nothing to do with her being Lucas's daughter - Filoni or McCallum or one of the other writers would've gotten a quite similar response.

From what I recall, her being George's daughter only really came into play when she adopted a "my dad's the best and you should stop complaining cuz I said so" sort of attitude.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That may be true, but the heated responses themselves were the problem. It would not be OK for people to behave like ***holes to Filoni or McCallum either. The difference is that it might not have felt so personal to Lucas.

I've read one of her defenses of her father and I thought it was spot-on. It was posted here maybe a year ago, I just don't remember the thread. Should she not defend her Dad when people are trashing him in the most ***hole-ish way possible?

16. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    No, she should ignore it.

If I wrote "fan mail" to Tim Burton telling him that I hate his movies, asking him why he sucks so much, and all around bashing his work and telling him that his version of Planet of the Apes "raped my childhood" - assuming he actually were to read it - I would not expect a response, nor should he waste his time in writing one. It would only encourage me. And that's ignoring the fact that friends and family of his should not respond to me in his defense.

(Note, I have nothing against Tim Burton and just pulled an arbitrary name).

There are polite ways to ask questions and criticize. If someone asked her something like "Katie, I prefer the OT unaltered and everyone I know does too? We'd all prefer to see the original version released on Blu-ray, is George aware of this? Why does he keep making edits?"

Then she could probably address such a question (unless the answer is, "because he doesn't care what you think").

You can just tell based on the language used, etc. what kind of critical comments are safe to respond to, and what kinds are not.

17. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    This might be an old thread, but I think this might be relevant. A clip has been circulating about George Lucas in NYC 2-3 months ago, and it might be a little bit worrying regarding his current state. The man is now 78 years old and he still looked to be in a good shape less than 1-2 years ago. But it seems that age has finally now catched up with him : we can see in the video clip below that he needed help from his security guard to get down from the car and climb the stairs as he seem to be fragile and a bit lost, as if he might have suffered a stroke.

I know it might not be that important for some people and it's the normal way of life. But as a fan of Lucas' Star Wars saga, let me tell you that this man will be missed a lot by the whole community and fandom when he will pass away (if he has not be missed yet after he sold all the work of his life to Disney). Things never last forever unfortunately, and as Yoda once said: "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose". We have to prepare ourselves as the end might be near...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    It's not appropriate to speculate on such things. Especially on some video showing a person in a city where they don't live in the middle of the night after doing who knows what all day long.

19. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Well sorry about that, I didn't mean to be disrespectful.

But I have nothing but respect for this man and who he was and what he has achieved as well as what he has given us all. I got shivers when seeing that and got even a bit worried since I'm perfectly aware that time passes by. Mr. Lucas has been very quiet and secret ever since he has sold his company and his work 10 years ago, probably enjoying retirement with his family. But sometimes I even wonder if he might have some regrets... For many fans, the past 10 years might have been kind of bittersweet since he was gone. Or maybe we have learnt to appreciate more the work he has done before retiring.

20. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I am a bit confused here why is Lucas health being speculated in a thread about him retiring back in 2012 and why are his ''regrets'' even being brought up if this was just supposed to be a post about concern over his health? :confused:

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, this is just in bad taste.

22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    First of all, he really doesn't seem confused. He seems like any other famous person when overwhelmed by reporters and cameras.
    Second, that's how I look when I am trying to exit my car after playing soccer on Monday and Tuesday nights at the age of 41 :p
    He may have had a long flight and an exhausting day.

23. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    He seems more like just having weak legs. He does not seem confused at all. I mean he is 78 so maybe his hip or legs are worn off a little. Beside his shaky walk he seems in pretty good shape to me.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well clearly this thread hasn't been relevant for a decade, so it's earned its own retirement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.