main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT George Lucas Select Images: A Look Back

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by HL&S , Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I thought it might be fun to take a look back at the old George Lucas Select Images that ran from the summer of 2000 to the summer of 2001. They were Episode II images picked by George to be posted weekly on starwars.com. There were 57 in all. Eleven years ago it was a big event in the 2SA forum when these images would be uploaded and we'd gather around to speculate on what they might mean.

I'll start us off with the first image and after a day I'll post the second image and so on.

Select #1

[image=http://www.scenebyscene.net/ii/eiiselect01.jpg]

It was our first look at Anakin's new costume. I remember we noted that it was darker than the other Jedi costumes. Of course he's running down the streets of Coruscant but at the time we didn't know that. It could have been anywhere.

2. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    This is a great Idea. I remember that picture... God, I was so hungry for information.

The Picture I really remember, and it may be one of the next couple of picture, was the close up of Shaak-Ti's eye.... She looked so scary and disturbing I was sure she was some sort of evil incarnate.
    Of course in context, that is not how Shaak-ti is at all... but at the time we just speculated away.

Again, good idea for a topic.

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Pretty sure I've got most of these saved somewhere, but I'll let the OP post them one at a time.

It was a really clever thing to do, & the pictures were so ambiguous that it invited all sorts of speculation (or, in the case of the Jango Fett one, gave a very teasing confirmation of a long-known spoiler). That picture of Anakin looked like something from a Kurosawa film, but that was a bit misleading.

4. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Select Image #2

[image=http://www.scenebyscene.net/ii/eiiselect02.jpg]

Our first look at Padme. Less blurry than the last image which was nice. I don't seem to remember too much speculation on where she was in that we knew from the casting that Owen and Beru were returning. So the color of the floors and walls gave a hint to the location.

5. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Wow, this brings me back! And to think, we get to line up for all six all over again!

That pic of Padme is so serene, she seems so calm, which is a contrast to the actual events in the movie.

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    There was an image comparison on TFN when that picture was posted - it confirmed that she was sitting in an exact replica of part of the garage set where Luke cleans up Threepio & Artoo.

7. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Fantastic idea for a thread topic! Cheers! =D=

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Great thread topic.

I remember #1 very well, kept wondering why Anakin was running. Was he running from something or to something?

I vaguely remember #2, but I don't remember making a connection with the Lars garage at the time. I heard later that the Lars homestead and Owen and Beru would make it into the film. I also remember an image, not a select one, showing Beru and Padme in the Lars kitchen. I know now which scene it was from the novelization but it got cut from the film.

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    If ever an image projected: "The calm before A(nakin's) storm." :p

10. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Another reason why I didn't think there was much speculation on the location. ;)

Select Image #3

[image=http://www.scenebyscene.net/ii/eiiselect03.jpg]

This was one of my favorites. Matt Rowan had a casting announcement saying he would be playing an "overindulgent politician." Speculation soon turned to him playing Senator Orn Free Taa who had been seen briefly in TPM. Then of course we got this image. Though we didn't get an office scene with lighting as dark as this, it still gave an ominous sign of things to come for the Republic.

It's a shame though that Orn Free Taa was essentially cut from the film with the exception of appearing in one scene as a background extra. At least he got to say something in ROTS.

11. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I always liked this one because it was obvious that this was an extra just resting between takes on the set. It reminds me of another later picture we will get.... spy reports from on the set were describing two portly men who smelled none to pleasent.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Heh, I remember how nuts everyone went at the first image of Jango in these. Great thread idea :)

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Ha. What a great thread. Brings back some memories. Some of these pics I first saw in the Star Wars magagzine cause I didn't have internet access until the start of 2001.

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Man-remember when the Geonosis storyboards leaked? I never got to actually see them, but jeez was there a ruckus around TFN that day.

15. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

Well he wasn't an extra when we saw the image. The guy had a casting announcement. :p In fact, we didn't find out that his lines and main scene had been cut until a month or two before the film was released. Kinda took people by surprise I think because the scenes that were cut from AOTC were a bit more substantial than those cut from TPM.

Then when they put the opening Senate scene on the dvd that was to feature his lines of dialogue, it was an edited down version of it. :(

Select Image #4

[image=http://www.scenebyscene.net/ii/eiiselect04.jpg]

A buffet. We knew an actor named Ian Watkin was cast as a food server according to starwars.com so it pretty much fit with that. I suppose had we looked closer we would have noticed the beds lining the back walls. Then again they were rather small and strange.

16. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I didn't expect much chatter about the set of the refuge ship. Eleven years ago it got plenty of speculation since there was no hyperspace, set diaries, web cam, and the Star Wars Insider magazine hadn't released any pictures of filming yet. Plus the script hadn't leaked yet nor did we have the domain names.

We were pretty sure this had something to do with Ian Watkin being a food server. In fact he seemed to be hired based on his gruff resemblance to Wuher. Little did we know that during principal photography they had decided to axe the food server and replace him with a droid. We found out about 2 years later because that's how kept in the dark starwars.com was at the time. [face_laugh]

Select Image #5

[image=http://www.scenebyscene.net/ii/eiiselect05.jpg]

A new character. During the year 2000 it had been widely rumored that Aura Sing would be appearing in Episode II and thus the reason why she was added at the last minute to TPM. This essentially drove her into cult status before she had done anything really. As it turned out, starwars.com announced that Leeanna Walsman would be playing a bounty hunter. So naturally people figured it would be Aura Sing. We were wrong. However then came this photo of a new character. Was it Leeanna as the new bounty hunter character? This creature certainly looked evil enough with the face paint and black eyes.

Of course not long after we learned it wasn't and then eventually figured out it was a new Jedi named Shaak Ti.

17. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    THIS is one of the pictures that stood with me during the speculation period. I thought this was such a creepy photo, now with context, it does not seem to have the same effect on me, but at the time I thought there was some bizarre Sith-ary afoot...

18. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

Indeed. At the time we saw this it was exciting. Got the ideas running wild. It was almost a let down knowing that this was just some Jedi extra. Not even sure she kept her black eyes.

Select Image #6

[image=http://www.scenebyscene.net/ii/eiiselect06.jpg]

American Graffiti. Or is it? One of these things does not belong. One of these things doesn't look like the other. We had a report before this stating that Anakin would have a Hot Rod vehicle and there it was. We didn't know how he'd be using it though. Figured it would be his personal transport, not something he just takes from the parking lot. Of course at this time we weren't totally sure on what a Jedi could or couldn't do/own.

19. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010

I swore it was a sith witch! [face_laugh]

Great topic for reminiscing.

20. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Hehehe I think every female character with white face paint became the poster child for a Sith Witch. Sly Moore never had it so good. :p Of course figuring out that Sly Moore was Uv Gizen took a bit of time since the scripts Sith Interceptor and Perfect Dark had were not to up to date with her new name.

Select Image #7

[image=http://www.scenebyscene.net/ii/eiiselect07.jpg]

Our first look at Obi-Wan Kenobi and he seems to be in trouble...and a bit wet. There had been a spy report stating that Obi-Wan and Jango might have some sort of fight in the rain. This was the confirmation we needed. Well for some of us anyways. Some still couldn't believe we were going to see Boba Fetts father and his name was "Jango." Jambo? Jenga?

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Those were great news.

22. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Love this thread. Really great. I didn't truly become involved in Star Wars until about a year and a half ago so I missed all this, but it's great to see. Like a window to the past. Makes me a little sad that I didn't get a chance to experience the anticipation of a new movie myself.

23. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Select Image #8

[image=http://www.scenebyscene.net/ii/eiiselect08.jpg]

Padme injured? First Obi-Wan isn't looking too good and now Padme seems to have slash marks across her back. Can't see any blood though. What is she sitting on? Seems to have a tool belt around her waist.

Exciting stuff for September of 2000. Around this time more spy reports were flooding in as principal photography was wrapping up. Plus the domain names were being discovered which included the name of the Nexu. Of course we didn't know what that was or that it was connected to this at the time.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember seeing the Padme image along with some rumors that she would be kidnapped. I actually thought Anakin would have to go in and rescue her. Instead she was "on top of things." :p

25. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I thought maybe Padme was captured and beaten up or something. That image looked grim at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.