main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas Should Direct Episode 3

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Gay-LenKenobi, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    There is a lot of GL bashing going around, and I think that those of us who are happy with his performance in presenting his own story should have a place to gather.

Any other GL fans with me?

2. 5darth2maul1

5darth2maul1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    I couldn't agree more. :)

5D2M1

3. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    I've kind of come around on this issue. I don't have a problem with George directing III, but I wouldn't mind if he got someone else to direct it, either. The argument that they're his films, and he should do them the way he wants... Well even with a different director he would still ultimately be in charge. It would still be his movie. ESB and RotJ are just as much Star Wars films as the others.

It's a moot point, though, since he will direct it himself. I just hope he carries through on his vision and doesn't tone down the darkness.

4. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    Ofcourse he should direct it, Aotc was a masterpiece partly thanks to George's directing.

5. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    I frankly don't mind GL directing. But he has to focus more on being a writer and getting great performances from his actors.

6. JediBindu

JediBindu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2001
    Im glad Lucas is directing it, it suprises me how some people seem to hate him around here.

hew - nice signature, I love that movie.

7. hapless-sith

hapless-sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    Thank god someone out there isn't completely on the "I hate George Lucas / Lucas is the devil" bandwagon!

I agree wholeheartedly. George Lucas has done a great job so far and there is no reason to doubt him in Episode III!

Go George!

8. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    After his work on Attack of the Clones, I couldn't agree with you more, Gay-Len. Mind you, I do have a theory that Steven Spielberg really directed Episode II, and let George Lucas take credit for it. He's nice like that, you see :p.

9. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    " hew - nice signature, I love that movie."

I didn't think anyone would ever recognize it. :D The Coen Bros. rule.

For me, it's not a question of bashing Lucas, but just wishing he would recognize and do something about his limitations as a writer and director. I love TPM and AotC, but the frustrating thing is that even though they're good movies, they could have been great movies. There's no reason Lucas shouldn't have been able to surpass the OT with these films.

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I think Uncle George should go ahead and direct the movie, if that's what he wants to do. If he wants to bring in another director, that's his choice, since it is his movie. Either way, I'm sure the majority of us will be pleased with the final product.

11. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Please direct the last installment, GL, but bring someone on board to help with the writing chores.

~PAd

12. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    (1) Good thread idea Gay-LenKenobi.

(2) Yes! To ParanoidAni-Droid you listen.

Rick McCallum loves you!

13. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Huzzah, and I just finished posting on that Ang Lee thread...silly me, well anyway, I be in definite agreement! :)

TVB.

14. obi_juan

obi_juan Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    It's hard to fault a person for executing his own creation. It would be like someone that doesn't know me coming to my job and telling me how I'm doing everything wrong. But the nature of the entertainment industry, be it movies, music, tv or books, is to display your work to others in the hope that they will enjoy it enough to spend money. Saying that Lucas isn't the strongest writer or director is not meant to discredit his work or vision. The man has been involved in some of the greatest movies ever, and created a semi religion. But if you look at his body of work, you realize that his strengths are not necessarily in writing or directing, but in being a great visionary. In American Graffiti, he had much writing help from Francis Copolla. The Indiana Jones trilogy was directed by Speilberg. He did direct Howard the Duck. j/k And most people see ESB as the best in the OT which was directed by Irvin Kershner. I think the general flatness felt in both TPM and AOTC is an example of Lucas' 'weakness' as a writer. Think about how much you were moved at the end of ESB, did you really feel the same at the end of AOTC? Although I enjoyed the movie, I just didn't have that same emotional attachment to the characters. But heck, it's his movie and he can do whatever he wants. It's not like he's not going to get my $9.75 or whatever tickets will cost in three years.

MTFBWY

15. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Saying that George Lucas shouldn't direct HIS final movie of HIS series is on the exact same level as saying Osama should become immortal and be the President of the United States for the rest of eternity.

16. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Well, I personally don't think that GL is going to need to draw out great performances for the important scenes we can expect from III. I mean, some of the most powerful will feature
    Obi and Ani (and most agree that Ewan and Hayden were wonderful in AOTC)
    Palpy/Sidious and Ani (I think we can all agree that Ian McDiarmid is consistantly great)
    Padme and Ani (I'm not pleased with Portman, myself, but most are)
    and Dooku with any of the above (Its Christopher Lee. Enough said.)

The only possible concern I forsee is in the writing of the pivital scenes. And George is smart enough to know when he needs help. I think he will seek advice on the script, but I am very confident about III with GL at the helm.

17. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    GL direct his own movie if he chooses to? What a novel concept! ;) I mean with the guys from the Matrix, Crouching Tiger, LOTR, Spiderman, and every other "kewl" movie just out there (not to mention Speilburg!), ready to show GL how SW is really done, I'm amazed that someone would still prefer the SW creator for the last film of the saga.

Thanks for creating this thread. IMO, GL is a fine director, and can do as he feels fit on the last movie of his story, and with all the other threads (or petitions [face_plain]) that are out there sometimes, it's nice to see fans remember that. :)

18. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    So Lucas should do what he's going to do anyway. I think most of us already knew that would be your opinion. :p

19. MD-O

MD-O Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2000
    I always thought George Lucas was a much better director than people give him credit for, and perhaps he gives himself credit.

The fault with Lucas lies in the script/dialogue more than the directing.
    The only minor problem I have with him directing is a tendency to not get overly emotional when it is required.

When Anakin left Shmi in TPM I thought the scene was set up was very nice, but both parties IMHO were a bit too calm. I hoping and praying when we get to the scene when Padme has to give little Luke to Obi Wan that we really see a women in agony. I'm wanting an emotionally wrenching scene. I don't want to see a Padme "just doing her duty" for the republic. I want to see a mother as well.

Yes, George Lucas should direct Episode III.

20. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    MD-O

Yes, when Padme has to hand her children over, Lucas should channel his friend Spielberg, who has a talent for milking the emotional pain of a mother-child separation. Hopefully, Lucas can do the same. The love story in CLONES doesn't give me hope, but Shmi's death scene does. It was very moving.

21. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    For that scene, I would personally request a different actress, but that is just me.

And my great dislike for SS.

22. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    "And my great dislike for SS."

Well, I dislike the SS, too, Gay-Len, but quite what the stormtroopers of Nazi Germany have to do with Star Wars, I don't know, but I think if Steven Spielberg were to direct Episode III, he'd make it something very special indeed.

23. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Nah, Steven Speilberg would just drive it into the ground as an over emotional mess (much like another film I could name but won't so as to avoid a ban ;) ).

GL did wonderfully with AOTC (which he directed all by himself!)

24. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    Post proof or retract! And the only proof I shall take is either a picture of George pointing at something, or pointing at an actor, or pointing at a script whilst pointing at an actor, kneeling down looking up at an actor who's pointing somewhere, or doing a weird thing with his figures to work out a shot. Now that's directing!

25. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    I'm sure most of the behind the scenes videos on the OS would provide more than enough proof that GL was in complete control. He made Mace's saber purple, didn't he? 8-}

Steve just likes to give me a hard time since I stole Ewan away from him...... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.