main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas Should NOT Direct Episode 3!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by dahveed72, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    In a perfect world, Kerschner and Kasdan would team up with Lucas for Ep. III.

Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world, do we?

2. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    In a perfect world, Kerschner and Kasdan would team up with Lucas for Ep. III.

In a perfect world, people would spell Kershner's name right. 8-}

3. JBFett-v_2

JBFett-v_2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    that would never happen for Episode 3 nor should it happen.

Episode 3 will be great, other directors would do little to help the movie because when it comes down to it, it's george's vision and he will make it the way he wants to. So if anyone directed it that wasnt him, he would still nitpick and change things according to how he wants it. just let him make his movie is what I say. Star Wars belongs to him, it's his property. Just as anyone else who created something wouldnt want someone messing around with it and alter their vision.

4. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    In a perfect world, Kershner's name would be Smith. :p

5. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `I think GL might have had something to do with the story and overseeing the script and film too. I dunno. Can anyone confirm that?'

No, but I've heard the same story too.

6. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Not to be a jerk or anything but quite frankly this topic is worthless because whether we like it or not LUCAS IS DIRECTING EP 3!

This story and trilogy are HIS and he is going to do whatever he wants. We are just along for the ride my friends.

7. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Some people here act like they're stockholders in GL's company. They want to have a say in what GL does. Well, GL's companies aren't public and no one but GL and those who work for him will have any say regarding Ep3.

8. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Screw all ya stupid Playa Hatas. GL is Teh PIMP.

9. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Lucas not directing Episode III wouldn't make it any less "his" film. He would still have the ultimate creative control over the movie, the same way he did on ESB and ROTJ. Are they not Star Wars films the same way ANH, TPM and AOTC are?

Bringing in a different director would just allow Lucas to free himself of some of the day to day responsiblities that he admits aren't his strong points and concentrate on the aspects of filmmaking that he excels at.

10. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Sometimes I wish he had directed ESB and ROTJ, people wouldn't then complain about this all the time.

11. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Lucas not directing Episode III wouldn't make it any less "his" film. He would still have the ultimate creative control over the movie, the same way he did on ESB and ROTJ. Are they not Star Wars films the same way ANH, TPM and AOTC are?

Bringing in a different director would just allow Lucas to free himself of some of the day to day responsiblities that he admits aren't his strong points and concentrate on the aspects of filmmaking that he excels at.

I agree that it would still be "his" film but I would go back to saying that I think he can direct just fine. I think writing the script with all the details that it requires is something where a strong scriptwriter would be the best asset rather than another director, as GL himself has admitted that writing is not his strongest point.

12. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Whether he should or not doesn't matter.
    He'll direct it and I'm sure those bashers that are trying to convince themselves that EP3 will save the prequels are going to be gravely disappointed.

Still some fans seem to think they should be listened to [face_plain]
    Good thing Lucas knows what he is doing.

13. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    No matter how much some fans may argue GL shouldn't, GL will direct Episode III no matter what.

So I guess they'll be crying at the movies in 2005, while I'm watching in joy :D

14. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    `Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, JCer's are from Hell'

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE love that sig! :)

15. Qui-Gon_Jon

Qui-Gon_Jon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2001
    Where did Lawrence Kasden get all this undeserved respect?

It's been widely acknowleged that Leigh Brackett's first rewrite of ESB gave it much of its sublter, romantic touch. (Kasdan did another draft after she died.) Kasdan just applied his laff-a-minute sensibility to give us gems like "laser-brain". This has a lot to do with why Kasdan's script for Jedi is so heavy on bad humor and so light on character.

Personally, Lucas's "tin ear" for dialogue is a lot easier to take than Kasdan's suppositions that he is a clever writer.

Obviously, I'm not much of a "Big Chill" fan.

16. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    http://us.imdb.com/Name?Brackett,%20Leigh

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Kasdan,%20Lawrence

Might be worth a look. :)

17. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    George Lucas is Star Wars - END OF DISCUSSION.

18. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Lucas should direct EPIII!!!

19. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    "George Lucas is Star Wars - END OF DISCUSSION."

Hardly. He still can't direct or write a movie worth a damn and if the last two movies are any evidence of that, EP3 figures to be a directorial disappointment.

In my opinion.

George Lucas should not direct Episode III. CONTINUE DISCUSSION.

20. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Come on Phillip..... You can do better than that.

21. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    Anyone that wants a another big name director for episode 3 rather GL isn't a true Stat Wars fan imo. I know the argument that others directed them before, but come on. They were no name directors, and you know ultimately GL was calling the shots. He couldn't do that if Steven Speilberg called the shots. This is the last film. It is only fitting that Mr Lucas does it his way.

22. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    It's been widely acknowleged that Leigh Brackett's first rewrite of ESB gave it much of its sublter, romantic touch. (Kasdan did another draft after she died.) Kasdan just applied his laff-a-minute sensibility to give us gems like "laser-brain". This has a lot to do with why Kasdan's script for Jedi is so heavy on bad humor and so light on character.

It's been widely acknowledged that the draft by Brackett was essentially scrapped but credit was still kept out of respect in light of her death. I'm not sure that she even did a rewrite at all.

Kasdan also did Raiders of the Lost Ark. I don't think any respect for him as a writer is really "undeserved". GL obviously respected him enough to seek him out for TPM.

23. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I agree with what hawk said. Just because GL is producing (just pretending that he was for EP3), doesn't make him any less responsible or involved. I think it would even allow GL to spend more time and energy in other areas like story and spectacle (his strengths) and allow another director to focus solely on the actors and direction. (not quite Lucas' greatest strength.)

24. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    "Anyone that wants a another big name director for episode 3 rather GL isn't a true Stat Wars fan imo. I know the argument that others directed them before, but come on. They were no name directors, and you know ultimately GL was calling the shots."

And here it is again: you're not a real SW fan if you don't like GL. What rubbish.

I don't know what happened in EP6 but for ESB, Lucas wasn't even on location - he was in Marin working on the special effects, which, as what JohnWilliams00 said above me, is his strength. And when he got the draft back from Kasdan, he hated it. When he saw the dailies from Kersh, he remarked in dismay at the dark tone of the movie. Read Empire Builder - that talks about the making of ESB and Lucas and Kershner's discussions on the tone of the movie. And Kershner wasn't a no name director.

Is that better Hots?

25. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    "He still can't direct or write a movie worth a damn and if the last two movies are any evidence of that, EP3 figures to be a directorial disappointment".

If you don't like the prequel trilogy then don't watch them. Nobody is forcing you to go to see Episode III (how can anybody enjoy that film going in with this kind of negative attitute). I love the prequel trilogy and in my opinion they are far superior than the originals (a concept I didn't think possible in 1999).

"He still can't direct"

Does that mean you thought his direction for ANH was so awful. These films are greatest of its kind but if you don't like Star Wars anymore (or possible you never did) then go home, watch Spider-Man and allow us true fans to enjoy the films.

George Lucas should not direct Episode III. CONTINUE DISCUSSION.

George Lucas WILL direct Episode III ((Thank God) SO WHAT IS THERE TO DISCUSS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.