main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas Should Write Post-NJO Novels!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jed-eye, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jed-eye

jed-eye Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2000
    George Lucas once said that Star Wars was meant to have 12 twelve episodes. that's four trilogies. then he cut the number down to nine films because "the other three were tangential to the saga". then lucas said that after the completion of the prequel trilogy, he will take a 20-year break from making movies. thus the chances of him making the sequel trilogy are slim. plus, he has said that he has no plans to do them at all.

so, if episodes IV-VI were meant to be the middle of the saga, then the sequel trilogy SHOULD have been part of the story-arc from the beginning (from the time Lucas wrote A New Hope). he should still have the notes on what happens in those movies. thus, wouldn't it be cool if he wrote three novels after the NJO and sell them as episodes VII-IX?! that would be awesome! all he has to do is incorporate some of the EU characters like Mara Jade and the Solo twins and BANG! we finally get to know what happens in the sequel trilogy and George will have even more money.

your thoughts...

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

To my knowledge it was always nine, never twelve. Lucas has also said that after Episode III that he wants to do television beyond 2005. Also, George has never written a book, and after the Phantom Menace, I'm not even sure if he can write a screen play :D

Maybe if does televion we'll have a Star Wars series, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It'll probably be something like 'Young Willow Chronicles'.

3. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    The ANH novelization was actually written by Alan Dean Foster. Lucas isn't really a writer, and he's said that he had only planned to make nine movies because the media kept pressuring him to make sequels. I don't think that he really had anything in mind for the post-RotJ era.

4. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Nor do I.

5. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    At one time he planned on having three trilogies to tell the Star Wars story, but it only took two. I don't think he'll write any novels, it's not his bag. I think he just wants to sit back, direct some fun movies, maybe do a television show or two, and retire. I think he's done enough in his life.

6. lejmar_faldor_uk

lejmar_faldor_uk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 20, 2000
    Lucas never had it all planned from the start, on TPM DVD he says he had 15 pages of backstory for I-III

7. jed-eye

jed-eye Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2000
    interesting. i didn't know alan dean foster ghost wrote the novelization of episode IV.

a couple of quotes:

"Lucas has set up four corporations: Star Wars Corp. will make Star Wars II, and then ten, count 'em ten other planned sequels..." -TIME magazine March 6, 1978

"Q: At one point there were going to be 12 SW films.
    George Lucas: i cut that number down to nine, because the other three were tangenial to the saga... After the third film in this trilogy, we'll go back and make the first trilogy, which deals with the young Obi-Wan Kinobi and the young Darth Vader" -from BANTHA TRACKS (SW fanclub newsletter now known as STAR WARS INSIDER) spring 1980

even if GL hadn't planned the sequel trilogy from the beginning, he must have had some idea as to what the heck will happen in them if he was toying around with the notion of filming them.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I've also heard the 12-movies rumor..donno if there's truth to it.

Anyhow, I'd love George to actually sit down and write us a few canon books, but do you really think he has the time? The man is head of several very large groups that are constantly in demand: Skywalker Sound, LFL itself, ILM, etc..

9. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Another interview lucas said he basically meshed the sequel trilogy ideas into rotj.

Though I think it was the director of ESB in an interview said that a sequel trilogy would include luke training some jedi apprentices and fighting the emperor of the last time. Sort of like the DE trilogy.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I can't seem to find the file where I had the quote, but Gary Kurtz mentioned the original plan pre-ROTJ of where the SW saga would have gone had he and Lucas not parted ways. Basicly, Luke wouldn't have confronted the Emperor until Episode 9, I think Vader still dies in 6 though, Leia is not Luke's sister. So in episode 7 or 8 Luke goes looking and finds her. I'll have to dig around and see if i can find the exact quote.

11. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    It was in the second issue of The Official Star Wars Fan Club Newsletter, back in 1978, that it was announced that Star Wars was to be the first film in a 12-film series.

"...on February 23, it was announced that the Star Wars Corporation will begin production on the sequel to Star Wars this summer...based on the second of 12 stories in George Lucas' Adventures of Luke Skywalker series."

Phil

12. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

What would be nice is after the New Jedi Order and Episode III, if Lucas would take the time to sit down with authors and plan out the next series, trilogies, duologies, enlessies, etc. by providing snippets of information that writers can build off of. Since there is no limit to what stories can be told in the galaxy far, far away, getting Lucas to lend a hand in the novels would be a nice way to put additional creative input into them from the guy who started it.

Speaking of which, does anyone have an inkling of what is to come after the New Jedi Order?

13. Wes

Wes Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2000
    If/When Luke, Han, Leia, and to a lesser extent Lando die I would think it would be fitting for Lucas to write the novels. Kind of round up his part of the Star Wars Saga and let someone else do Star Wars without his main characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.