main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas to give $4 billion to charity! :)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Twi'lekPrince

Twi'lekPrince Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2013
    Recently, as I was looking around the internet for some new star wars facts, I found myself upon a forbes.com article on how GL is giving away his $4 billion to his charity for education! I then looked this up to see if it was correct, and... well it was! I am very happy to say, that all of Disney's money didn't bring our beloved SW creator to the dark side. Thank you George Lucas, you have helped a bunch of people :)

2. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yes, indeed. The facts about this donation were made slightly after the Lucasfilm sale, but sadly a lot of folks (including some here on the boards), aren't aware of this fact, and continue to chastise Lucas as a greedy money loving individual who didn't care about about Star Wars and his company, or others in general.

Pretty awesome move by Lucas.

3. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    It's a great move from him really shows that he trully is a kind person, why can't the haters realize that?
    If I was in his shoes tough I would donated the money to medical science though.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If he gave up his "no Episode VII" rule for the sake of charity, I commend him for his priorities.

5. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Its criminal that the same media that went completely nuts when he made wicket the ewok blink his eyes a few times in Episode 6 completely ignored him and didn't make a PEEP when he donated Billions (literally billions!) of his SW/LFL sale to charity.

Yet people like steve jobs gets worshiped by the media, a notoriously mean, temperamental guy who never donated to charity in his life and outsources virtually the whole company to country's that use workers as slaves to make stupid i phones.

Yet another shining example of how no matter what the man does it gets laughed off or disregarded or quickly forgotten by the media and the so called fans.

In my SW a visual chronical book it has pictures of lucas "force floating" next to yoda in adds for american made VCR's that are thx certified waaay back in the 80's. It said the reason why the picture are so rare is because the adds were only for China and japan.

So heres a guy who simply just...ALL HIS LIFE has done nothing but good things for this country. And yet no one online or in the media ever seems to care or give recognition unless its something they can 1.) make a joke out of or 2.) make fun of him for.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Good for him.

7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Why do I get this horribly depressing feeling that no matter what Lucas does, he'll draw more ill will than Woody Allen and Roman Polanski put together?

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Great to see that he's donating the money to education, which he's been passionate about since he first became successful.

And at the expense of abandoning his lifelong dream - tracking down every single copy of the SW Holiday Special and destroying them all with a hammer.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Lucas did educational charity before this; this is (obviously) his single largest contribution, though.

edutopia

10. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    I will need to study which charities he donated to exactly and contemplate if I trust them or not. You always have to ask yourself what do they do with the money. Will they use as much of the money as they can to farther education or will they waste the money on buying ice cream and things unrelated to developing the minds of others, you know? I am appreciate when Lucas or Bill Gates donate. I just still question it at times. If I had a bunch of money, I will not just throw my money at everybody. i would need years to contemplate and research the best decisions possible.

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    And some others who are aware of this claim it's a tax write off.

Who needs a $4 billion dollar tax write off when you're that old?

12. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Didn't Bill Gates actually start a new company which was in charge of dispersing all of his money to different charities? I thought I saw a doco a while ago where he said something similar to what you did, and decided to start a new entity that would determine which organisations and people were best positioned to take his money and use it for helping out less fortunate people. But I agree with you, it should be spent with valuable organisations, and I'm sure George Lucas has no intention of simply throwing $4b at some random charity.

I think most people who are complaining about Disney forget that this is the outcome. Considering what he's doing with the money, I'm only too happy to have Disney running Star Wars from now on. Helping people > not interfering with the Star Wars franchise.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Honestly, some things are more important in life. I'm glad that George Lucas has reminded us of this.

14. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Lucas is a class act.

Still, I hope he keeps just enough for himself so that he can fund the experimental films he's been talking of making. I've always wanted to see them, and he's always wanted to make them. That's been a dream of his that he's talked about for the last 30+ years. So, I hope what's left of his fortune allows him to explore his art in the ways he's always hoped to.

15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    So he's like Darth Vader. He started out a good guy, turned to the dark side, and did an act of great good much later in life after he did all the bad things.

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
  17. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    No, George Lucas is Luke. He emerged an iconoclast, and despite making a few errors along the way (i.e., The Special Edition nonsense), remained true to his heroic journey. Enchanting and educating generations of children.

Not at all like Vader.

18. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Katya Jade/Kate edit: I'm editing this post because it is completely off topic in this thread. There is no reason to launch into an OT/PT debate here.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wow, nice George, that was awesome

20. Joshua Price

Joshua Price Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2013
    hope it's the truth and not just media propaganda

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't if this the place to post this, but I've noticed originaltrilogy.com calls GL everything he's not and is more revisionist than he is. "Vader fell into a reactor, and then the lava further damaged his back." "GL will do anything for money." (The OOT would've gotten him plenty of that.)

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's not the place to discuss this.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What is the place to discuss it?

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    We're not starting threads to discuss other websites' opinions of somebody. :p