main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas wusses out, cuts Jar Jar's lines

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by BothofUs, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    We've known for a couple weeks now that Jar Jar's lines have been cut. Originally, he had greeted the Jedi and/or Padme after the Space Battle and then tripped onto the Chancellor. I think at one point only the trip was cut.

But now the fact that this is cut is all but confirmed with the reviews we've gotten from users and Kevin Smith and Time and maybe others.

What was Lucas thinking? I've always thought of Lucas wanting to make his own story that he has in his head. I think he is lying to himself in respect to removing Jar Jar's lines. What a wuss!

What was the point of including Jar Jar so much in TPM if only to brush him off at the end as a character less important than Fang Zarr?

Does Lucas truly think that Revenge of the Sith has no place for Jar Jar Binks?

2. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    If there is one thing that bugs me about AOTC and ROTS, it's no Jar-Jar. I agree totally. He's a HUGE part of TPM, then Lucas gets a bad reaction and deletes him. Personally, he doesnt bother me and I wish he would have been in AOTC more in a Chewie-like sidekick role.

BRING BACK JAR-JAR!!!

Seagoat likes this.
  3. tavis12

tavis12 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2005
    Jar Jar is my favorite PT character. He symbolizes what the PT is really about, and I think he should have a large role in ROTS.

4. -Master_Yoda-

-Master_Yoda- Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2005
    A thread for Jar-Jar fans...

[face_dancing]

I agree - he should have had at least something similar to Episode I.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    It is a shame that poor Jar Jar doesn't feature at all in ROTS. :(

6. AdmiralNeeda

AdmiralNeeda Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2004
    I agree - I for one would have loved these dramatic lines and scenes:

VADER: Representative Binks - have you any last words?

JAR JAR: 'Tis a far better ting meesa do... a far better bombad restin' place to meesa going...

VADER: Anything else?

JAR JAR: Yes... my sorry Ani for resistin' da Emperor? Pleasa lettin' me live? *gurgle*

VADER: Apology accepted, Representative Binks.

7. Stejo-Miwar

Stejo-Miwar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    I'd really like Jar-Jar to have had a role in all the movies that would mean something in the OT.
    You know, when you watch the OT, you think "that was Jar-Jar's fault", or something like that.

8. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I'm not saying that I hate Jar Jar here, but I have to admit that I am REALLY suprised that the haters haven't flooded this thread and shut it down yet. :eek:

Jar Jar was definately not my favorite character but he wasn't the worst either. IMO he served his purpose in TPM and AOTC. I don't see much need for him now in ROTS. I suppose it would be fitting to see him have a look of shock when Palps declares himself Emperor or something, but I wouldn't cry if it's not in the movie either. Jar Jar just isn't necessary for ROTS to be a good movie, but he wouldn't have ruined the movie either.

I guess I'm pretty neutral on the subject.

9. poodookoo

poodookoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    The ONLY way I could have stomached a larger Jar Jar role in AOTC & ROTS, was if in the 10 years following TPM, he'd really changed himself from the clumsy, naive idiot, into a worldly, tough warrior, like Tarpals.

For instance, he could have led a battalion in the Clone Wrs, and died a heoic death trying to save a Jedi General when Order 66 was given.

Now THAT would've caught people off-guard, and justified his character.

Unfortunately, the way GL has done it completely smacks of "oh, actually people didn't love this character like I thought they would, so let me start phasing him out of the movies".

And that's wack.

10. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Isn't Jar Jar supposed to attend Padme's funeral? I've heard Boss Nass attends, so it would make sense for Jar Jar to be there as well.

11. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Jar Jar and gungans in general are like small children: they should be seen but not heard.

12. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I think GL pretty much "wowed" us enough by making Jar Jar the instigator of Palps becoming a dictator. That's good enough for me as far as giving Jar Jar an important role in the saga.

13. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Nothing important is needed. Just a few last lines. There isn't many things more sad than a goofy, happy guy looking as sad as can be. See TPM when Jar Jar tells Padme of his grand army on Naboo.

There are good ways to include Jar Jar in RotS. Lucas was either too lazy to create something good or he wussed out.

14. DARTHJADO

DARTHJADO Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    I'm certain by now, George feels as most of we fans do... Jar Jar Binks was just a bad idea that everyone wishes would go away!

Personally, I think Jar Jar could have been retooled for episodes 2 and 3. Perhaps he learned how to speak being in the capital, perhaps he could have had a slight accident and ended up looking as cool as Grevious! THAT would have been a great end to Jar Jar's character.

15. Invictus_Sol

Invictus_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2003
    Personally, I'm revelling in the fact that Jar Jar has been cut from the film. His idiotic antics and ramblings have no place in this movie, as far as I'm concerned.

16. Joedi

Joedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2005
    Jar Jar was never my favorite character, but I'm definately in the camp that says, "If you're gonna give him that big of role in EI, you're gonna let him come back for EII, he's gotta be in EIII somewhere." Even a minor role a la AotC would have been fine - but but no role at all - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Strangefor 6 years we hear of how Jar Jar was the worst idea ever, was a racist stereotype, was responsible for the raping of our childhoods, now we all want him back?

17. -Master_Yoda-

-Master_Yoda- Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2005
    I never understood what was wrong with Jar Jar anyway. The humour is just as corny as other Star Wars films anyway...

18. bjk

bjk Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    Too much Jar Jar, and we complain. Too little Jar Jar, and we complain.

I love being a Star Wars fan!! :D

19. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    i wouldn't mind him if he had a certain charm. that's what's missing imo. he's just annoying to me.

c3po can be annoying as hell too, but he's got what jar-jar lacks -charm!

20. Darth_Lacerus

Darth_Lacerus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2004
    Lucas actually could have salvaged the reputation of Jar Jar Binks by doing one simple thing.

When the Gungans are at war with the droids and are running away Jar Jar jumps on the back of a trailer full of large boomers. Instead of the door opening accidentally he could look at the boomers, look back at the droids and at that moment make the decision to pull open the door himself intentionally thus unleashing the boomers on the droids.

That would have made Jar Jar more of a hero and showed that he had at least one redeeming quality.

That would have quashed the outroar from the fans who opposed Jar Jar and opened the door to use him more in AOTC.

Either way, I still hate the character

21. R2D1000

R2D1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Yoda should have taken him to Kashyyyk

General Binks would have proved his worth.

22. Darth_Board

Darth_Board Jedi Master star 1

Jun 29, 2000
    I gotta agree with the general tone of the thread. Jar-Jar is not the best character ever but he's a genuine original in Star Wars and he's got his own style. And, even if he is annoying sometimes, he's one of the really good guys. You get the feeling that he'd be a good, strong friend, even if he did get in the way and bungle things occasionally. He doesn't need to be in the film much but just seeing him standing around silently once or twice is not enough.

I really hoped Jar-Jar would get his big heroic moment in ROTS, maybe a heroic death, possibly being killed by Anakin. You could just show the heartbreak in the big guy's eyes and make it a real teary moment. Cutting him out completely really does smack of bowing to bad press.

It's really the only thing I'm disappointed in with ROTS. Jar-Jar may not have been the best idea ever (even McCallum admitted that) but the character deserves one shining moment before the end.

23. DarthNomis

DarthNomis Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 2, 2001
    Always been indifferent about him. I didn't hate him nor love him. He was alwyas an "extra" to me.

There was too much of his antics in TPM and the movie has a kiddie feel for it. But I thought the amount they used him in AOTC was jst right.

Stll I wish he would've been used in this movie in some heroic way of saving some of th eyounglings or as someone for Anakin to kill to show he's totally gone to the dark side.

24. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    I love Jar Jar, and it would have been cool for him to have had a small part in ROTS, but we have known for a long time that his role in this movie was next to nothing anyway. I don't think that George has wussed out, nor bowed to the critics, I just think that he is using all the time possible to tell this story's final chapter in the best way. Unfortunately, Jar Jar's tiny moment is just one of many that have hit the cutting room floor to make way for larger story elements.

-JR :)

25. luckywallace

luckywallace Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    I'm a big PT fan, but I have to admit I really hate Jar Jar in Episode I.

I thought his role in AOTC was fine, and it does seem a bit odd for him to just disappear in ROTS after being such a big character in TPM.

He needed at least 1 scene... ideally a grusome death scene at the hands of Vader, but oh well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.