main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas wusses out, cuts Jar Jar's lines

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by BothofUs, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    I for one don't miss him in ROTS, he had no place in it.
    He served his purpose in AOTC as the funny [not really],
    weird side-kick. What would he do in ROTS besides maybe say
    one or two lines? Prob wasn't worth putting him in as he
    was not central to the ROTS storyline.

2. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    It's quite simple. More Jar Jar would've been horribly out of place in ROTS. IMO, he was also out of place in TPM, but the argument can be made that there was a much more lighthearted atmosphere back then. ;) :p

There's a world of difference between some light humor to ease the tension in a story that's as dark as ROTS, and inserting something so blatantly forced and hammy that it completely takes you out of the scene, if not the entire movie. Jar Jar hijinks would've definitely fit the latter category.

3. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Agent:

To say Binks had relevance in TPM is a stretch. To say he even mattered in II and III is pretty ridiculous.

Binks only leads the Naboo to the Gungans. he does nothing to unite them. He is an awful general.

In II, we get the most implausible of situations with Binks becoming a senator, who somehow foolishly gives away the keys to the Republic. Inexplicably I should say. This should have been done by Bail Organa. I chalk this up to Lucas trying to keep Binks relevant.

Finally we get to the apology. Lucas probably said, enough is enough, he really isn't relevant; would distract from the story; isn't essential to the story; and isn't even NECESSARY to the story - so out he went.

Let's face facts people. Jar jar was a cgi experiment who was their to provide comic relief in the absence of 3po in TPM. His relevance is minimal or tertiary at best since cinema will complete arcs to characters essential to the story.

4. anikaneo

anikaneo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2004
    I think Jar Jar shouldn't have had a MAJOR role in ROTS, that would have been out of place. However, giving him one or two lines that you can actually hear isn't out of place. He's been around for 13 years or so, so give him a little something.

5. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    I think it would have been very emotional if Anakin killed Jar Jar in ROTS instead of the younglings, Jar Jar would have been given much more respect:

VADER: Step aside Binks

JAR JAR: Pleasea don't killz da kidz, theysa haven't done anythings

VADER: Representative Binks, how about I kill you instead?

JAR JAR: 'Tis a far better ting meesa do... mesa don't want da die, Ani...

VADER: So yes?

JAR JAR: Yes... mesa sorry Ani for resistin' da Emperor? Pleasea let me live? *gurgle*

VADER: No Binks

Jar Jar in terror begins to weep

Vader extends his lightsaber

6. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    That's the corniest thing I ever read. lol
    No, that would not have been a good addition.
    People would have thrown popcorn at the screen!

7. bloodbrother23

bloodbrother23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    nyjet10, why would Jar Jar be defending the younglings (Or atleast I thin that's what you're trying to say), he has no business in the temple whatsoever.

I don't see why this is such a big deal about him not being in ROTS. Sure, they recycled an old line of his that I swear they extracted from TPM, but he served his purpose in AOTC when he stupidly gave the emergency powers to Palpatine. There, that's it, he's not useful to the plot anymore.

Sure, it would've been cool to see a Thermal Detonator go up his butt (so we could see how much damage it could do) and thanx to whoever said that earlier, you are a genius.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I don't know what film you've watched, but I know that Jar Jar was insturmental in uniting the Naboo and the Gungans. Remember, both races distrusted each other at the start. Neither side were living together for mutual advantage. The time Jar Jar spent with Padme showed that they weren't that far a part. That they could co-exist, despite their differences. This comes out in the scene where Jar Jar talks to Padme as the Queen, just before Palpatine and Panaka arrive. As a result of this, Padme puts herself on the line to humble herself before Boss Nass. Which will result in Nass listening to them and agreeing to helping the Naboo free their planet together. Lucas' theme of symbosis comes to life here. A theme that carries on throughout the rest of the Saga.

By the end of TPM, Naboo has been freed from the Trade Federation and peace has been achieved between two races. Ten years later, we see that unification is still strong as Jar Jar is an aide to Padme, in the Senate. And again in ROTS, when see him still there with Padme and later with Boss Nass during the funeral.

Jar Jar was given the authority to represent Padme in the Senate, since she herself cannot be there. It's better to come from Jar Jar, than from Bail Organa, since the latter goes on to oppose him in ROTS and creates the Alliance. Jar Jar has trust in Palpatine, because he is from Naboo and was proven to him to be a good man.

Of course, you'd like to believe that.

See above. Lucas doesn't apologize, nor does he care if we liked Jar Jar or not.

So I had to ask myself, what was I trying to say and didn't I say it? Did it just get missed or it is it not there? I had to look at it very hard. I had to ask myself, Is this how the audience is going to react? Fortunately, Steven confirmed that most of everything was working. So I may lose a certain demographic - maybe, maybe not. But I had to make a decision, and I decided that I'm not going to alter the film to make it more commercial or marketable. I have to be true to my vision, which is 30 years old, but I have to be true to it."

--George Lucas, The Making of ROTS, page 188.

"The thing about science-fiction fans and "Star Wars" fans is they're very independent-thinking people. They all think outside the box, but they all have very strong ideas about what should happen, and they think it should be their way, which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way."

--George Lucas

"Right or wrong this is my movie, this is my decision, and this is my creative vision, and if people don't like it, they don't have to see it."

--George Lucas

"The films are liked by half the people, they're hated by half the people. You know, it's the same thing with the critics. I mean, all the Star Wars films have been trashed and all the Star Wars films have been praised. So, it's very hard to say, 'Well I'm going to take this group and say, you know, they don't like it therefore I am going to change it.' I mean, I am making the movie that I

9. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    It was Jar Jars destiny to not have a huge roll in RotS.

10. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    ROTS was about Amakin turing to the dark side. We Don't have to care about Jar Jar at this point. We care about how the rest of the story will play out.
    And I don't think GL wusses out. I think he did some editing based on data. That is not wussing out imo. When I write I make modifications and if I haven't looked at something for a while and I come back to it I may make major modifications.

11. dorkstar

dorkstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2002
    I don't actively inform people of my dislike for Jar Jar. What's done, is done.

I'd like you all to put aside "racism" accusations and other unrelated things. Look at the character of Jar Jar in the context of the story AND in the context of character relationships within the story.

IMO, Jar Jar fulfilled his story arc in AOTC when he moved to give Palps supreme powers.

Some of you say, "Why does that have to be the end of Jar Jar? Why not put him in ROTS?"

To those questions, I ask in return:
    WHEN PADME HEARD ABOUT WHAT JAR JAR HAD DONE IN AOTC, HOW EXACTLY DO YOU SUPPOSE SHE REACTED?

I'm going to guess she FLIPPED OUT. She wanted more DEMOCRACY, not more power in the hands of one executive!

So naturally, in ROTS, Jar Jar would have VERY LITTLE, if ANY interaction with Padme and her consort. She effectively BANNED Jar Jar from her inner circle.

However, it's likely we see Jar Jar because PALPATINE knows he can manipulate the weak-minded Gungan. He did it in AOTC to his advantage.

As a member of the Republic, Naboo's citizens likely retained status within the Empire... I imagine Jar Jar unknowingly became a key to Palps control over that planet... and his bungling forced the Rebellion to set up shop on Alderaan instead.

12. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    JAR JAR ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he were Vader:

JAR JAR: Luke, mesa am yousa Fattha

LUKE: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JAR JAR: Join da dark side luke Da gungas dig da black capes muy muy alot

13. Darth_Fruit_Fly

Darth_Fruit_Fly Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2005
    Yes, and he was also equally effective at almost single handedly ruining the TPM, while simultaneously dividing Star Wars fans, both young and old. Jar-Jar was a divider, not a uniter.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Save for dividing the fans, the rest of your statement about ruining TPM is opinion. The fact that it divided the fanbase only, since we don't hear the world at large, is true. And before someone says something about all the Jar Jar jokes in the media made since 1999, need I remind you all of the jokes about Threepio and Artoo being homosexuals. Majority of which were made before TPM came out.

15. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    JJ being a Senator is very plausible. The gungans were "primatives" in TPM its unlikely that they had Senate representation at the time. Since JJ had actually been to Coruscant, its seems quite likely that Boss Nass would appoint JJ to be the Gungan rep in the Senate if they did get one. I dont know if they would just be under one Naboo rep, but it seems that since they are a different species, they might get their own. And who else to would be qualified. JJ has been around now.

All of you thinking you wish Anakin would have killed JJ. Thats not going to happen. JJ is an innocent. And probably the only person in the universe that Anakin knows he can trust. I would have liked to have seen a scene between the two. I bet JJ could have saved Ani.

16. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    man you have issues. jar jar is only good for annoying the heck out of people.
    That's why i like him.
    :D

17. kel_kenobi

kel_kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    [face_shame_on_you] [face_not_talking]

Agent, I know Lucy, I watch Lucy, Lucy is a favorite of mine.

Jar Jar, you are no Lucy.

18. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    "All of you thinking you wish Anakin would have killed JJ. Thats not going to happen. JJ is an innocent. And probably the only person in the universe that Anakin knows he can trust. I would have liked to have seen a scene between the two. I bet JJ could have saved Ani."

In what film does any of this occur? JJ is the character Anakin interacts with the least
    out of any > minor character in the entire PT. As far as JJ being innocent, he is the
    one manipulated into leading the vote for the Republic army (by proxy). And who was
    he proxy for? oh, only the strongest voice in the Senate against voting for the republic
    army. As britney spears would say, "he's not that innocent."
    :)

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Jar Jar was trying to do the right thing, based on the evidence presented to him. The Republic needed help, as did the Jedi. Jar Jar remembers what happened on Naboo. He knew that Padme might disagree with him, but at the same time, there was very little choice. I don't think Padme was too mad at Jar Jar, as evidence by his still having a place as an aide. It was the Clone Army that saved her, Anakin, Obi-wan and the Jedi rescue team.

20. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    "I don't think Padme was too mad at Jar Jar, as evidence by his still having a place as an aide. It was the Clone Army that saved her, Anakin, Obi-wan and the Jedi rescue team."

Yet, without the clone war, no need for Palpatine to stay in office.

Recall Yoda's line from ESB about Han and Leia (there is no mention of Chewie in that scene).
    Sacrifice them you will if you honor what they fight for.

One of GL's morals is to conquer the fear of letting go. When we try to interfere
    with the death's of loved ones, nothing good comes of it. Jar Jar should have let
    his friends perish rather than vote for the army. Anakin should have let go of his
    mother rather than rushing off to Tattooine. Anakin should have let go of Padme. Luke
    should have let go and Han and Leia rather than running off half-trained to face Vader.
    Yoda isn't just referring to Anakin in his advice to let go of the people we love.

21. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    I don't know what film you've watched, but I know that Jar Jar was insturmental in uniting the Naboo and the Gungans.

I think I watched TPM. And if I'm not mistaken, Padme uses the Gungans only to wrentch control out of the trade federation. Binks leads her to the Gungans, he does nothing to unite them. Padme does all of this.

Also, how does this symbiosis carry over to AOTC? Where is the gungan alliance with the Naboo relevant to AOTC?

So Jar Jar hands the keys to Palpatine in the most inexplicable sense. Yet there is no reason for him to be in that position let alone the authority to act independent of Padme. Whre is the symbiosis in this respect? Surely she would have instructed him to follow a similar path as she, right? Not to mention the fact that Jar Jar does NOTHING in combat or in the 10 intervening years to our knowledge that merits his promotion.

Can a director make mistakes? Sure. No one is perfect. To suggest that every move by Lucas in his storytelling is not without flaw is suspending disbelief to the extreme.

But I digress. If we are to believe that jar jar was canon to the prequels and an essential character, certainly his character arc would have been completed. It follows that we know what happens to Bail on Alderaan. Yet I believe his character is secondary to the central characters in this film. Giving jar jar the role of destroying democracy surely merited some conclusive element in ROTS. Instead we are given no indication whether he died, lived on, returned to Naboo or anything!

Let's call it the way it is - he was irrelevant. I liked all three films, but ROTS was soooo much more enjoyable without him. I don't expect an apology from Lucas because I don't think I deserve or one is needed. But we know the most important thing: he's learning.

22. SexyStarWarschic

SexyStarWarschic Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2002

THANKGOD he was the most annoyiest thing I have ever heard and or seen in my life and I'm so glad he hardly said anything. And I think good old Lucas did that for a reason. :p

~*I've got the power! [face_dancing]

23. namnlos

namnlos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    Binks rocks - hate da game, not da playa :p

24. SexyStarWarschic

SexyStarWarschic Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    are you just trying to piss me off or something?

25. bigcharliewind

bigcharliewind Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    That wasn't Jar Jar. That was a farting eopie. When are you people going to listen??? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.