main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas wusses out, cuts Jar Jar's lines

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by BothofUs, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaders_Right_Hand

Vaders_Right_Hand Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2005
    VRH
    They should have made jar jar a powerful character.

2. Swoop-Rider

Swoop-Rider Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2005
    Yeah it would have been emotional, emotionally funny and ludicrous.

It would have been quite out of place in a scene:

1st what is he doing in the jedi temple? Was he secretly a jedi and did he secretly use force powers to make himself fluke his way to killing many droids in the battle of Naboo?

2nd many people watching would have probably cheered and laughed at Anakin, something George Lucas simply wouldn't want as it totally disrespects Jar Jar and it would serve to lighten the upcoming younglings murder, which is obviously a very dark and a very serious thing.

But despite my criticisms I can see where your coming from, and in TPM and AOTC it is quite clear that Jar Jar and "Annie" (UGggggh) are close friends and it would have been interesting to see jar jars take on it, that is in a DVD deleted scene not in the finished movie

3. Swoop-Rider

Swoop-Rider Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2005
    That is possibly the funniest post I have ever read, pure comedic genius!

4. Vaders_Right_Hand

Jan 19, 2005
    VRH
    What if Jar Jar really had a line that said" Ani, I will betsa you in lithzsaberz duuels.
    But Jar Jar if there is a lightsaber duels then one would come back from the dead.
    No mesa said one lighterssabers duel. Jar Jar your lack of English speech ends know. Pulls lightsaber out.

5. Darth_Fruit_Fly

Darth_Fruit_Fly Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2005
    I was dissapointed Jar-Jar didn't get wasted in ROTS. I was hoping Anakin would split Binks clean in half, from ******* to appetite. That would have been super swwweeeeeetttt. :)

6. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    It simply goes to relevance. He was not relevant to the story and that's why Lucas cut him.

Had he been relevant, his character arc would have been completed.

Although people have suggested his character was responsible for all the problems in the republic, I think if that were the case, we would have seen a conclusive finish to his character arc. We didn't, which makes me believe he wasn't so relevant in the grand scheme of things after all.

I'm not complaining!

7. Vaders_Right_Hand

Jan 19, 2005
    VRH
    Jar Jar must of been in there somewhere I bet they just didn't the time. You must remember that you can't make a movie 3 hours long. The people would just get bored.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Ahmed Best was only in Sydney for a couple of weeks, in 2003. He only filmed the scene where everyone greets the safe return of Palpatine. He filmed the funeral for Padme. The Senate scenes and a scene where Jar Jar passes Palpatine talking to Anakin, after Palpatine had returned from the Senate and started to talk to Anakin.

9. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    George Lucas had Jar Jar axed from the film from the beginning of filming. The last script didn't allow for much Jar Jar, it's not like he was cut.

10. Vaders_Right_Hand

Jan 19, 2005
    VHR
    I still would of made a good ending for Jar Jar than him just being cut.

11. DarthTornado

DarthTornado Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2004
    Holy bumpage Batman!

12. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    He should have been trained as a Jedi for the Clone Wars, then he could have gone with Mace to "arrest" Palpatine. He would have been about as effective as the other Jedi.

13. masterjedi747

masterjedi747 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Meh. I still say he should have ended up on Alderaan. I mean....just look at the scene with Bail and his wife.
    He should be right there on the balcony, standing to the right side of Bail (his left side), looking down at Leia.
    It would have been absolutely perfect....and would have made the destruction of Alderaan that much cooler. :D

14. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I always felt Jar Jar was weaned out of the story primarily because he has no point or influence in the OT. So building up his character into an integral part of Anakin's life would only serve as a prelude to tearing it down by Episode 4. Since there is a 10 year gap between Ep 1 and 2 I think it flows well enough to have minimal Jar Jar scenes after Ep 1. His part really ended with the death of Qui Gon and the life dept associated to him. At that point he bacame a background character since the whole thing is designed to be centered on Anakin. Afterall having him as an aid to Amidala to take over the task of senatorial duties was really a big stretch in the first place. It's far more likely that Jar Jar would have retired to an abundence of good cheer and good grub on Naboo. However perhaps some diplomatic compromise had been established after the Battle of Naboo that enables representatives from both the Naboo and the Gungans to serve as senatorial aids. Why Jar Jar was chosen is beyond me, perhaps the Gungans figured it was the best way to avoid his clumsiness.

But anyway he had his place. I kinda like that his ultimate role in the story evolves to an innocent bystander. His life is a lesson to choose your battles in life wisely because a simple action; even motivated to do good; can have devastating consequences and you may never even know the part you played in the mess that follows.

Now I personally don't buy into the idea the Lucas wrote him out simply because of popularity issues with the audience, esspecially since he was one of the most well recieved characters in TPM. I personally liked him well enough, I just thought he was overdone in a couple spots and that his elevation to the rank of General was unfounded and lacked logic at best.

When crafting a film, a single scene can ruin the pace and plot progression of whats central to the story. Now maybe Jar Jar's lines or line would have worked fine, but at this point I don't really see what purpose it serves the film or more importantly the series.

15. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    Then expplain to me how The Lord Of Rings Trilogy was a big Success =D=

16. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    LOTR a big success? Come on it only made over a billion dollar and won a bunch of oscar, big deal ;)

By the way, I was joking about making Jar Jar a Jedi. I thought that was clear. I was wrong.
    Anyway, if they were going to make him good buddies with Jar Jar, then there would have been some point to having Anakin/Vader kill him off, but he was barely in Episode II and III as it was.

17. darthvader4prez2008

darthvader4prez2008 Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2005
    i dont think he wussed out come on ppl jar jar almost killed tpm . that voice sounds like he got kicked in the gungans to many times . the best part about aotc and rots that there was less of him and dont give me this crap oh there should have been more of him in rots.jar jar isnt anakin the perquel trilogy is all bout anakin and his desent to the darkside.

18. jango_matt18

jango_matt18 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2005
    Here's my opinion on Jar Jar in the PT:

He was a big character in TPM. And I was okay with his character. He added some comedy that was needed in episode 1. But I wish Lucas would of made his character a bit little less stupid and more dramatic. As for AOTC, and ROTS - I don't think Jar Jar should of been in these two at all. Jar Jar a senator? Please!

I also have another annoying character (but a good annoying character) that I wan't to voice my opinion on, C3PO:
    I don't think C3PO should of been in the first 3 at all. It just doesn't seem credible. I mean come on what are the odds that Anakin built C3PO! R2D2 was credible in the prequel trilogy because Obi-Wan used to "own him". But If I was Lucas I would of introduced R2D2 in AOTC, not TPM. I think R2D2 and C3PO should have met in-between episodes 3 and 4.

19. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    in the ROTS novel, the significance of the droids is explained better.

3PO was given to Padme from Anakin as a gift of devotion. He gave her his droid because he didnt own anything other than 3PO. i thought that was kinda cool. also padme gave R2 to anakin. each droid served their master's purpose.

As for exactly why? Well machine/human relationships are a main theme of the saga.

Considering that Lucas told ANH through the eyes of those two droids, i think they are also worthy of a backstory.

20. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I think Jar Jar should have said something! at most 2 lines thought haha.

21. Master_Ti

Master_Ti Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    What could Jar-Jar have said. I think that all the time in the movie is perfectly accounted for and anything that Jar-Jar could say would see m pointless.

*~*Ti*~*

22. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Perhaps Padme could discuss with Jar Jar briefly how she feels the Senate will crumble under Palpatine. Jar Jar agree says he's worried about the evil in teh air or something. Only a minute or two, and would further explain Padme's dislike of Palpatine now. It would have just been nice to see his character acknowledged after he had such a big role in the start ot the PT.

23. DarthCryptus

DarthCryptus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2004
    It's funny how when jar-jar bashing was popular everyone did it and maybe 1 or 2 people in a thread would support him. Now people starting complaining that he wasn't in there enough? All ya'll he thought he should be in there are just followers.

24. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    I don't think George wussed out in regards to Jar Jar in ROTS. The movie was focusing mostly on Anakin and his relationship with Padme, Palpatine and Obi-Wan. There was no space for Jar Jar to be around. Hell even C-3PO had very little screen time, one might say he was almost redundant in this film. Also, seeing that this is a tragic story it would be silly to have comedy in between. Jar Jar is a comic character and served his purpose in TPM.

25. thebachelor

thebachelor Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2005
    I also think that was Jar-Jar saying "Excuse me" -- in fact, I immediately thought, "Wasn't that Jar-Jar? Wasn't he not supposed to have any lines?" I'm a big Jar-Jar fan, and I regret his sidelining in AotC and RotS -- especially the cutting of the moment in AotC where he recognizes the grown-up Anakin, which practically ripped my heart out when I read it in the novelization, knowing how Anakin would betray Jar-Jar and everyone else who had ever loved him...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.