George Lucas wusses out, cuts Jar Jar's lines

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by BothofUs, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joedi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Darth_Lacerous,
    Would've been a brilliant way to keep Jar Jar a clumsy fool, but have him be a little more respectable. I like it.

I suggest you submit that idea to Supershadow so he can foreward it to Lucas for being edited into the super-duper-expansion pack-edition of all 9 movies.
  2. DarthSakroc Jedi Master

star 4
    To inflict so much JarJar on us in TPM, then have him help get Palpatine emergency powers in AOTC, to now have him not do anything worthwhile in ROTS to redeem himself is unfortunate.
  3. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Knight

star 3
    Actully im quite upset jar jar doesent have a role at all in this film(at least not a speaking role) ive always liked him no matter what people say and part of not having him in aotc made me not like it as much, if you watch them back to back you really start missing jar jar(I know most people wont think that but I do) And I liked the lines he had in rots (i read the script) him greeting anakin and anakin greeting him back, it was nice you know it showed there friendship evan through all these war these two dudes have stayed friends. I quess lucas wussed out he maybe thought people would say something like "err it wasent a dark movie, it had stupid jar jar talking" or some crap like that. :( well at least we see him..
  4. starwarsagent Jedi Youngling

star 5
  5. Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling

star 5
    The question kind of contains the answer.
    Jar Jar, and his people, were a big part of TPM.
    He was still around in AOTC and ROTS, but he did not have any major part to play - just as Yoda had no part at all in ANH, Ben had very little screen time in TESB, while Jabba, who was mentioned by name in all three OT movies, (originally) appears in only one.

Have a little faith.
    If Jar Jar's ROTS role has been trimmed, it will be for the sake of finding the right cut of the movie - the one that works.
    That is to say, if he has been cut back, it is for narrative reasons, not some personal vendetta against Jar Jar.
    How can Lucas "hate" a fictional character he created? He can make Jar Jar do whatever he wants, he decides Jar Jar's actions, he has complete control over him. If he cuts them, it is because they are surplas to requirement.
    Some of you make it sound like Jar Jar is a real person who Lucas does not get on with or something...
  6. Stejo-Miwar Jedi Master

star 4
    His idiotic antics and ramblings have no place in this movie, as far as I'm concerned.

---

Yeah! but in AOTC he seemed a bit more mature from what we saw of him, so in ROTS he would also have improved.
  7. MajorNerd Jedi Master

star 4
    i'll preface this point with the fact that i absolutely detest jar jar BUT...GL did show his true colors by giving into public pressure and giving up on this character.

there isn't a "true vision"...well, maybe there is but it changes from day to day.
  8. BothofUs Jedi Master

star 4
    That is to say, if he has been cut back, it is for narrative reasons, not some personal vendetta against Jar Jar

No, it's because Lucas didn't write a good enough part for him in RotS. If it was good, it wouldn't have been needed to be cut. Face it, GL wussed out.
  9. Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling

star 5
    No, it's because Lucas didn't write a good enough part for him in RotS. If it was good, it wouldn't have been needed to be cut.

How so?
    Did he also not write a good enough part for Qui-Gon-Jinn?
    Was Yoda's arrival on Dagobah not "written well enough"?

Let's face it - the Gungans are not needed to save the day. We do not need to spend quality time with the village idiot so that we can learn how valuable even a village idiot can be when our backs are against the wall. We've done that gig in TPM.

There never was a quality role for Lucas to write for Jar Jar in ROTS.
    He has played his part, and now he has earned respect.
    His place is in the back seat.
    If that back seat gets smaller to make way for the real meat of the story, then you won't see me complaining...
  10. MANDALORIAN Jedi Master

star 4

The creation of Jar Jar was flawed from the start.

Lucas did not come up with a story/character and then think about how best to do it. Instead he wanted to have a fully digital character in a main role.
    This was the end of the old Lucas (the visionary, the storyteller, the mythmaker) and the beginning of the new Lucas (CGI above all else)

Star Wars stopped being about the story and became a testing ground and showcase for computer animation.

This is evident in the fact that Jar Jar has twice as much screentime as Obi Wan Kenobi. One film done and still no relationship between Anakin and Obi Wan or Anakin and Palpatine and no hint of Dark Side in Anakin.
    This has a ripple effect in the prequels, Lucas is now rushing the story. IMO, much of this can be traced back to the creation of Jar Jar. Not only is the character very irritating but I think many fans are irked that instead of seeing the backstory to the OT we got Lucas showing off his latest computer graphic.

If Jar Jar is cut from ROTS then perhaps we should be grateful that Lucas may have realised there are more important things.

11. LeeKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    jar jar was a good character in theory--but unlike Wicket the Ewok (who provides comic relief by accidentally popping himself with a sling), they spent any and all character development for him making him a goofball for the sake of the kiddies.

Which royally pisses me off.

My version of Jar Jar:

"Why were you banished, jar jar?"
    "Mesa grandfadder make friendly with da Naboo. My family line banished. I'm last one."

*at the podrace*
    instead of the "messy" line...
    "Mesa haven a bad feelin about this."
  12. MajorNerd Jedi Master

star 4
    well said, MANDALORIAN.
  13. Darth_Dweebie Jedi Master

star 1
    Poor George. There is no way for him to win with the fanboys.
  14. Sidious_T Jedi Master

star 4
    "The creation of Jar Jar was flawed from the start.

Lucas did not come up with a story/character and then think about how best to do it. Instead he wanted to have a fully digital character in a main role.
    This was the end of the old Lucas (the visionary, the storyteller, the mythmaker) and the beginning of the new Lucas (CGI above all else)

Star Wars stopped being about the story and became a testing ground and showcase for computer animation.

This is evident in the fact that Jar Jar has twice as much screentime as Obi Wan Kenobi. One film done and still no relationship between Anakin and Obi Wan or Anakin and Palpatine and no hint of Dark Side in Anakin.
    This has a ripple effect in the prequels, Lucas is now rushing the story. IMO, much of this can be traced back to the creation of Jar Jar. Not only is the character very irritating but I think many fans are irked that instead of seeing the backstory to the OT we got Lucas showing off his latest computer graphic.

If Jar Jar is cut from ROTS then perhaps we should be grateful that Lucas may have realised there are more important things."

I fully agree with you. So what does he do? gives us Grevious............ which is worse than Jar Jar......Given a choice give me Jar Jar.

15. BothofUs Jedi Master

star 4
    GiG, you seem to think most of us want JJ to have a large role.

We just need a couple sad lines. Closure. You assume everything that happens in Star Wars is needed to move the story along in a nice flow. I laugh at that. Haha.

If GL would have set up a situation where Padme could say goodbye to him before leaving for Mustafar, or a couple lines about how he is worried about the future of the Senate as he walks with Padme behind Bail and Anakin or something, I'd say that most of us would be happy.
  16. Stejo-Miwar Jedi Master

star 4
    Would it not have been great if it was Jar-Jar who accidentally wipes C3-P0's memory?
    That's just like the clumbsy things he would do...

Just trying to think of things to fit him in ROTS...

*shuffles away quietly*
  17. Bobo_Maul Jedi Knight

star 1
    Coming to his senses <> wussing out. Jar Jar was always a creative mistake. Seeing Lucas bow to public outrage like this should prove to some of you that he's only in this for the money. Yes, people with more money than you can still want to make even more money.

The only thing he's ever been good as was marketing. If it weren't for the marketing and merchandising there never would have been ESB.
  18. MajorNerd Jedi Master

star 4
    This is evident in the fact that Jar Jar has twice as much screentime as Obi Wan Kenobi.

just thinking about that really bothers me...how absurd was it that qui-gon goes off into the rough space port,leaves obi-wan and takes jar jar and some hand maiden??
  19. Darth_Smithius Jedi Padawan

Jar Jar served his purpose. I am not a huge fan, but I don't hate him either. What I would have done was give Jar Jar a very small role in ROTS and have him die in battle (giving his life for the cause or something corny like that). The reason I say this is because we don't see him at all in the OT. If someone was so instrumental in giving the Emperor his power don't you think we would have seen him if he were alive? Just my .02.
  20. Panakas_Dawg Force Ghost

star 5
    Actually, I liked the more 'serious' "naive dope getting thrown into a grown-up role too fast" thing in AOTC. I had big hopes that the TPM "silly" and "kiddy" (albeit fun and entertaining) Binks would have some noble deed or act that would punctuate the character nicely.

When people would talk about killing Jar Jar or whatever, I always thought if Binks died, I would love for it to be heroic and strong and full of innocent self-sacrifice. Something to really emphasize his "unconditional love" that he feels for all things. Something to make Jar Jar Haters rewatch TPM and cry - knowing what a giving and caring being he truly is and how tragic his story could be.

But, over time, I really felt Binks should have been Bail's "Chewie-esque" sidekick. Something to bring in some smart-aleck, frustrated banter between the two - as a precursor to Han and Chewie.

I wanted more Binks in ROTS. :(
  21. Darth_Dweebie Jedi Master

star 1
    LOL Stejo! I love that idea for the memory wipe.

Why are you even on these forums Bobo-Maul? You don't even sound like a Star Wars fan.
  22. rancor_ismydad Jedi Youngling

star 3
    "George Lucas wusses out, cuts Jar Jar's lines"

GOOD!
  23. JediLight Force Ghost

star 4
    I think that when Lucas originally created Jar Jar, he thought he would be a Star Wars icon like a 3P0, R2D2, Chewbacca, etc.

But when he realized that people hated Jar Jar, Lucas decided to scrap him from being in the main story.

I do think he did wussed out a little bit, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

The way it turned out, Jar Jar is practically a one episode character. We have plenty of those already, so his screentime is no different from Jango Fett or Grevious.
  24. Darth_Dweebie Jedi Master

star 1
    That's it ! Now that I know Jar Jar's lines are cut, I'm boycotting ROTS. Who's With me!?
  25. Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling

star 5
    GiG, you seem to think most of us want JJ to have a large role.

Well, you say that and then go on to explain a larger role for Jar Jar than the one we have...

You assume everything that happens in Star Wars is needed to move the story along in a nice flow. I laugh at that. Haha.

Glad your having fun.
    But you are misinterpreting me there.
    I was not for a second suggesting that everything has to be a catalyst for the plot.
    But the story still takes priority.

So, whereas in TPM Jar Jar's "village idiot" status was actually a plot point in itself, in ROTS if those lighthearted Jar Jar moments don't sit easily with the clearly more serious tone of the movie, they may have to go.
    It's as simple as that.

If GL would have set up a situation where Padme could say goodbye to him before leaving for Mustafar, or a couple lines about how he is worried about the future of the Senate as he walks with Padme behind Bail and Anakin or something, I'd say that most of us would be happy.

He is still in the film, just some of his dialogue has been cut - we have yet to see how much exactly...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.