main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas wusses out, cuts Jar Jar's lines

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by BothofUs, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Hey Duckman, survive what? The fan purge of 2005? ;)

The trick is to lay low.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Jar Jar still speaks. He accidently steps on Ora Free Taa's foot and apologizes for it. Anway, Jar Jar wasn't created for comic relief. His story was that he helps Padme to bridge the gap between the Gungans and the Naboo, which fits within the greater context of the Saga. That different lifeforms living together for mutual advantage, must do so, otherwise they'll face extinction. His presence in AOTC and ROTS is to showcase that the unity is still in place.

3. The_Chibi_Kiriyama

The_Chibi_Kiriyama Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    I have always found it intriguing that Boba Fett is seen in the OT for a grand total of 5-10 minutes and all of the sudden he had a fan following which practically flooded the EU with 'Boba is alive' scenarios, but when George makes Jar-Jar popular response is that:

A: he was high
    B: he should have killed Jar-Jar

Or, and this one tickles me pink...

C: he's racist

How about 'D: none of them'? He just wanted to make a fun character, a comedic relief like CP30. We all know how horribly it failed. Look up 'Lucas bashing' at Wikipedia.org and Jar-Jar's pic is the first to come up. The Phantom Edit dropped Jar-Jar's lines down to a minimum because of this. There was even a game over the Net where you could punch Binks in the face. Like a previous poster said, stop beating the dead horse. You're gonna affect Jar-Jar's role as much as Lucas affected the Fett sympathizers by having the Special Edition munching on him. That is, not at all. His word is law when it comes to the films, and even though I detest his palid attempt to create yet another slapstick marketing tool that sentiment still doesn't change his view. If you're looking for horribly lost displays to make a film look cool criticize the brilliantly named General Grievous or the one-dimensional battle droids. We all know fans thought Jar-Jar was incredibly annoying. Making yet another thread to counter this belief only fuels the hatred. I personally disliked Jar-Jar, but Lucas shouldn't have caved in completely. Just because people dislike a villian doesn't mean the filmmaker should edit him out in future versions. He just wanted to make a character. Biting his head off over it is only going to make him wary of continuing the series beyond what it is already.

And no, he didn't 'wuss out'. Jar-Jar wasn't killed off like the diehard fans TRULY wanted. This should be enough for sympathizers and haters alike. Now let's all go back to discussing in a calm and less-vitriolous fashion.

On a final note:

Give me a heaping tablespoon of rhinocerous urine to drink over licking george lucas's scrotum any day.

This comment was gross, unnecessary and surprisingly unmoderated. Let's not turn this into a body fluid joke thread, or for that matter any thread that would entertain a comment like this as a serious contribution.

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think it just boils down to Lucas thought Jar-Jar was a good idea, and not all the fans agreed.

It's certainly not unanimous, a lot of us love Binks as much as Lucas. I thougt Jar-Jar was a masterstroke.

At the end of the day you just can't please everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.