main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas wusses out, cuts Jar Jar's lines

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by BothofUs, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invictus_Sol

Invictus_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2003
    I agree with Invictus_Sol...

*spits out Coke on screen* Finally! Sweet, sweet vindication!

Seriously, though, there really was nothing left for Jar Jar to do. I can't see the point in giving him a heroic death, say, just for the sake of giving him one. He did his job and it's over. Good riddance.

2. Tooqui_The_Jedi

Tooqui_The_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    come on you guys no one has even seen the movie yet cut george slack!!!

3. Kevin_Kenobi

Kevin_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 7, 2003
    Forgot to takl about the topic there heh....

Jar-Jar should at least have been given some kind of goodbye to Ani or Padme.

I'm not saying he should have been piloting the Tantive or anything...just a simple nod that he is still in the "Circle" of friends he was in with the previous movies

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Let's discontinue caling a character an idiot, attacks on dialogue, and personal attacks on the man who brings us these films. Thank you.

5. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    As opposed to taking Obi-Wan and leaving just a pilot,a clumsy gungan,handmaidens,and captain panaka to protect "The Queen"?

Ric: Those Jedi are going into that spaceport and left us here all alone and unprotected.

Panaka: You're working my nerves, Ric.

6. Tooqui_The_Jedi

Tooqui_The_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    i agree.
    no one knows if hes out of the circle either. hi sapient thanks for the info

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    How is recognizing a mistake and correcting it wussing out?

Who says Jar Jar was a mistake? I don't think he was. I like him.

8. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    He's an idiot.

Comes from upbringing....parents are probably idiots too.

Lorraine you ever have a kid who acts that way I'll disown ya.

:p

9. JediRandy

JediRandy Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 21, 2002
    If this topic doesn't prove that GL can't please everyone, what will....

He's gets crap for having Jar Jar in the movie, and now gets crap for not having him in the movie.....

10. DARTHJADO

DARTHJADO Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    Oh I thought for SURE by the end of episode 3, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and even Admiral Ackbar would be beating the **** out of poor Jar Jar Binks! It was HE who destroyed the galaxy by giving Palpatine emergency powers!

There's PLENTY more for the clumsy Gungan to do! Where was HE when the meetings with the early REBELLION was taking shape? It's like he just left politics. He went to the same place former Chancellor Vallorum went!

"KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!"

11. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    great quote from a great movie, r8hitman
    if more movies were had as much all around quality as that i wouldnt walk away from most of the movies i see lately with no personal attachment to the movies or any feeling whatsoever.

am i outgrowing the cinema or something? i dont think so, i cared a lot about donnie darko and american beauty but lately.....

12. darth_calvin

darth_calvin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2002
    Jar Jar has outlived his usefulness. Storywise he serves no purpose to the development of the rebellion nor to Ani's fall. Finding something for him to do would end up looking just so - like GL had to find something to do with him. He was beginning to be weeded out in AotC and now he's gone (although I can't believe he is not going to be in the Padme funeral scene - the only place he should be)

13. MajorNerd

MajorNerd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    usefulness? if he was popular do you think he couldn't have filled role similar to chewbacca or 3p0? those characters weren't necessarily needed...but noone hated them quite like jar jar.

14. Jedidude22

Jedidude22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    "because he doesn't appear in the original trilogy

...or rather, he didn't until last September."

gear... none of those guys is actually jar jar you can't make out any faces and their voices all sound the same, and besides even if it was him if he keep such a big role as he did in menace you would still wonder where he went in ANH and TESB

15. darth_calvin

darth_calvin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2002
    First, comparing him to C3po and Chewy is all together wrong. They are both part of a pair - sidekicks. Ani spoke once with him in AotC. That hardly puts him in a circle. As far as the movies show, Ani hadn't even seen him in 10 years. As far as Padme and the rebellion, would it really be wise for the founders of the rebellion to include an easily manipulated bumbling oaf in their plans. And the fall of the jedi has absolutely nothing to do with him. What could he do that adds anything to the story?

16. MajorNerd

Jun 28, 2004
    TPM didn't need him either but that didn't stop georgie boy.

17. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I don't know if Lucas "wussed out", but I do think he decided to reduce his role.

I thought he handled Jar Jar's transition in AOTC just fine. He is in 3 or 4 scenes, primarily being the one who wrecks the Galaxy by handing supreme power to Palpatine. He still has a notable role in AOTC, just much less screentime.

Lucas himself admittedly said that he had 20% of TPM and 20% of AOTC as part of "100% of the prequel trilogy" in his head, and I think Jar Jar is definitely not included in that. He's a throwaway character that could have gone on to become the "Chewie of the prequels" if everything worked out, but it didn't, so Lucas moved on. I do think that public perception had to do with it.

Lucas is a businessman, too. He didn't let Jar Jar get in the way of his story at all, even in TPM, but just figured it would be better without him if he was that much of a distraction for the audience.

18. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    From what I can tell of George Lucas and his vision, Jar Jar's character was used only as a storytelling point to reflect the feel of Prequel trilogy. He is strictly used to show how the PT started out being fun and kiddish(TPM), then mysterious(AotC) and then completely goes to hell(RotS).

Lucas's sole purpose for Jar Jar's in TPM was to show that life before the Sith came back was very easygoing childlike. Hence, Jar Jar is barely in AotC and not in RotS, because there is nothing fun and childlike about Revenge. I appreciate Jar Jar more in TPM now because I see that he represents a mirror of Anakin's life in the PT. Anakin was once a child and yet he was tricked into becoming a monster.

19. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    George Lucas wusses out, cuts Jar Jar's lines

Hey, him wussing out on this issue is fine by me. ;)

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

20. PlayAtari2600

PlayAtari2600 Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    I really won't miss Jar Jar..... not at all.
    I was hoping that when Anakin goes on his little killing-spree he would come across Jar Jar, who would rush up to him shouting "Little Annie!" and then get sliced in half. Now THAT is good filmmaking.

21. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Lucas's sole purpose for Jar Jar's in TPM was to show that life before the Sith came back was very easygoing childlike. Hence, Jar Jar is barely in AotC and not in RotS, because there is nothing fun and childlike about Revenge.

Makes sense to me, SAND-CRAWLER.

22. Joedi

Joedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2005
    I have to say that even more than Jar Jar I found R2 to be the annoyance of the PT. Jar Jar, while not my favorite character, I understood was for the kiddies, and his incompetence didn't really alter the stroy much. Anakin accidentally flying the ship to save the day was a much worse idea than Jar Jar, as jar Jars accidents were just side kiddie humor, and defeating the battle droids was a major piece of the movie. Anyways back to R2, in the PT it just seems like he is added any special ability in the world he needs to fit the situation (i.e. flying), making his role seem to have been written not jst for kids, but by kids. I mean as child if you're writing a fantasy story and encounter a problem, you just give the character some new ability. I'm not saying SW is realistic and everything has to be believable (obviously not), but having no limits on a character just seems kinda dumb. Bottom line: I never really considered Jar Jar a mistake in the first place, but even for those who insist he was, he certainly wasn't the biggest cause of some of the PT flaws.

Disclaimer: I'm not bashing the PT, I love it. I'm just saying it ain't perfect. You can disagree with me if you like - sue me. You can say, "well it's GL's movies not yours so he did them his way." Well duh. If he's offened that there were a couple of his ideas I didn't care for, then he can sue me too. Don't mean to sound rude with this, but just trying to avoid the inevitable backlash that comes whenever anyone offers any criticism of the PT at all.

23. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Maybe George Lucas decision to cut Jar-Jar's lines out of the movie had nothing to do with wussing out, or because what the critics say about the character. Maybe he does it because Jar-Jar is not that essential in this movie.

George Lucas is the man who brought us Star Wars. Give him more respect please.

24. MajorNerd

Jun 28, 2004
    I appreciate Jar Jar more in TPM now because I see that he represents a mirror of Anakin's life in the PT.

[face_laugh] jar jar is mirror for darth vader...i'm sorry but that's just too much.

25. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    George Lucas is the man who brought us Star Wars. Give him more respect please.

But... But he raped people's childhoods. :( :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.