main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas wusses out, cuts Jar Jar's lines

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by BothofUs, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    People still complained, and others didn't. Jar Jar had a medium in AOTC, but his role in bringing about the Empire annoyed some people.

Lucas made the choice to cut out Jar Jar and I will not call him a coward for doing so.

2. Joedi

Joedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2005
    Mandalorian
    GL has stated (I'll hunt down the quote if you like) that he intentionally wants Anakins turn to be very sudden and be based on one choice because he sees that as more tragic. I too would kind of liked to see a slow seduction, but we have the fear Yoda sensed, and the Tuskan Raider slaughtering, so there's a touch of foreshadowing. If you don'y like the sudden turn GL is going for, I can accept (and to a certain extent agree with) that, but Lucas isn't off his vision here.

3. SithMaster83

SithMaster83 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 13, 2005
    Jar Jar: "Yousa thinkin Jedi gunna DIE Ani?"

Vader: "Yes Jar Jar this is where the fun begins"

Jar Jar: "MEEESA SOOO HAPPY ANI, MEESA YOUR LOYAL SERVANT, HOWSA MEESA HELPING U?!?!?!?"

Vader: "See that window over in the Chancellor's office?....Go jump out of it"

Jar Jar: "Whatever yousa say ANI!!!"

Vader: "All too easy"

4. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Lucas was assailed for being a sellout with TPM because Jar Jar, whom "everyone hated," played a big role, but was also assailed for "not caring what fans want," for the same reason.

Lucas was assailed for being a sellout with AOTC because Jar Jar, whom "everyone hated," played a small role, but was also assailed for "not caring what fans want," for the same reason.

5. YARN

YARN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Yes,

It is a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation for GL. Best Advice to GL - Get rid of the dammed character altogether.

6. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    >tripped onto the Chancellor<

For tripping onto the evil Sith Lord, the Pu-nishment is Death by Dark Side Lightning!!! [face_devil]

7. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    The only remark I can (care to) give is that most people grew up on Chewbacca first, and other generations will grow up on Jar-Jar. Both characters are different and offer the silly side for kids, Jar-Jar, and the tough guy for kids, Chewbacca. Neither one is the same, but both are for kids, and I'm sure future generations of children will enjoy both and not complain incessently as Shelley pointed out.

Just stick to your Jedi, and everyone will be coo'.

Ciou-See the Sig

8. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    The Worst thing about Jar Jar is his voice, it's like nail on a chalk board.

His retarded facial expressions are rather Funny!!!

I really don't mind to see a scene Jar Jar trips on to Palpatine, and Palpatine gives him a very evil look!

9. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    "Lucas even makes the Clonetroopers CGI ! Rather than pay an Extra $50 a day to run around in a costume he would rather spend thousands on computer animation. The result? Technically impressive but still 'off'. Look at the Jedi strolling through the temple with a CG gait. Look at the pointlessness of Anakin riding the Space Flea thing. And what is the point in CGI fruit?
    Listen to DVD commentaries. All about effects.
    Lucas claims he waited years for technology to allow him to make these films but there was never anything in the backstory that required such effects. None of the CGI is important to the story - it is simply digital masturbation.
    And for all the CGI craziness, the OT is still much more popular. Must drive Lucas mad."

You're acting like visuals aren't the most important aspect of Star Wars.

10. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    ROTS tech: Hey, I have an idea. Why don't we hire a bunch of extras dressed as troopers and keep them in groups of 5, then shoot them each from different angles and it will look like hundreds of them all at the same time? It worked back in 1977!

George: You're fired.

11. Mentos

Mentos Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    George Lucas...cuts Jar Jar's lines

Thank the Maker!

12. Darth_Dimitrius

Darth_Dimitrius Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Lucas is wise.

Lucas can realise a mistake because he is wise.

Lucas can correct a mistake.

Because he realised he can make more interesting things out of his butt he reduced Jar Jar's movie time.

13. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    MANDALORIAN,

No. In interviews before the script was even written both Lucas and McCallum were boasting how TPM would be the first film to have a fully digital character in a major role. The suit was never good enough to stand up to filming - Best was always going to be replaced.

Lucas started writing the script in 1994-95, and filming started in 1997. Could you direct me to these interviews before the script was written where they boast about the fully digital character? In the documentary on the TPM DVD, they have Rob Coleman showing Lucas two versions of a shot with Jar Jar; one with the head replacement, and one of a fully animated characters. Coleman tells Lucas that it actually worked out less expensive to do the full character animation than to do the head replacement, and Lucas comments on having spent thousands of dollars on a suit that wouldn't be used. None of the other digital characters had an elaborate suit worn on-set.

Why build the expensive suit if it wasn't going to be used? And in fact, it was used in two close-up shots in TPM (Jar Jar's arm reaching for the tool he dropped, and his feet propped up on the table).

Once they did decide to go fully-digitally-animated with Jar Jar, I can see why they would boast about it. But would you honestly rather have a guy in a rubber suit tagging along? By far the worst-looking aliens in TPM were the Nemoidians, the Mos Espa market vendor, and Anakin's rodian friend (Wald?). And those were all actors dressed up in suits and masks.

The digitally-animated aliens -- Jar Jar, and particularly Sebulba and Watto -- were much more convincing, in my opinion. And I don't believe for a second that any of them were designed purely to show off CGI; making them CGI characters allows for more creative designs, not limited by having to build a costume/puppet that can be maniuplated in front of the camera. What is wrong with that?

Its getting pretty close. In the vast majority of scenes the actor is the only physical element. BTS pictures show seas of blue and green screen and very little else.

Except in the pick-up shots, there were usually at least partial sets built (to be digitally extended in post). And there were several large sets built for all three prequels. For the majority of the principal photography shots, the actors were certainly not the only physical elements. BTS pictures for all three films show this pretty clearly.

In ROTS there was NO location filming because Lucas wanted it all done on computer.

Right, because it would have been better if Lucas had brought his film crew to the all-lava part of the world, or that crystalline hideaway in Europe. And I know this *great* sinkhole town just a few miles from where I live...

It couldn't be because most of these environments don't exist on Earth, could it? Nah...

Kashyyyk is the only would that really could have been filmed on-location, but it probably would have looked much like Endor in ROTJ. As in, that's almost as exotic as my backyard.

Oh, and by the way, how much location filming was done for The Empire Strikes Back? Hoth exterior shots. That's it. And there weren't a huge number of those, and even fewer that actually involved the principal actors. Why? Because that was the only environment in ESB that a real-world location could substitute for. Why should it be any different with the prequel films? Should Lucas be restricted to creating worlds that are all based on Earthly environments?

In TPM and AOTC the battles are as animated as anything Pixar does - it all looks too cartoony.

I disagree with you there. Well, I find the gungan vs. droid army battle to be a little on the cartoony side, but none of the battles in AOTC struck me that way.

As for animating human characters - Lucas has said that this is his ambition.

Where?

Almost all the sets are CGI. He makes up characters JUST so they can be CGI - D

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Lucas doesn't care about the negative flack Jar-Jar received. He says that's just a bunch of 30 year olds on the Internet, and that Jar-Jar was extremely successful with it's target demographic: children, and women.

The only reason we see less Jar-Jar as the prequels unfold is because the story is getting darker, and is focussing in on certain characters like Padme, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Mace, Anakin and Palpatine.

Obviously he wrote this Jar-Jar stuff for Episdoe II and III, so that shows you right there he wasn't cutting him out due to fan reaction.

It probably just had to do with running time, and some tough choices as to which parts were more important than others.

15. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    was jar jar originally supposed to be imprisoned on the invisible hand, perhaps both he and chancellor palps since their close friends from the same planet and all?

but it was changed because his type of comedy would be too cool for such a dark movie?

16. Master_Goodwrench

Master_Goodwrench Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2004
    :oops:
    I'LL BE HAPPY IF I NEVER HAVE TO SEE THAT "HOWARD THE DUCK" WANNABE IN ANOTHER STAR WARS MOVIE AGAIN.

Those who want to see Jar-jar in ROTS might as well be calling for Lucas to make a "Howard The Duck II"

And for those who think Lucas created Jar-Jar to be an integral character, you are gravely mistaken. Jar-Jar was a CGI experiment gone wrong.

Try watching TPM by skipping all of Jar-Jar's scenes, and you will realize that he plays no .... repeat, NO part whatsoever in the plot.

If you remove Jar-Jar the Jedi still would have made it to Naboo to meet up with the Queen, the Naboo would still have teamed up with the Gungans against the droids, the Gungans still would have lost the land battle, Anakin would still win the Bunta Eve Race, .... and so on. The ENTIRE plot remains in tact without Jar-Jar.

The only thing missing without Jar-Jar would be a few less fart jokes, and moronic dialogue.

It might have been different if the ONLY reason the gungans agreed to help the naboo was because of Jar-Jar, but this is not that case as the Gungans thought Jar-Jar was a moron too.

Lucas made a mistake with jar-jar ..... at least he had the sense to realize it and correct it.

17. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Thank you, Eternal_Jedi for keeping a cool head in all this. I agree with your post 100%.

18. General_Cartman_Lee

General_Cartman_Lee Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    Sometimes I'd like to see suited Vader high five Jar Jar just out of spite to the whingers.

19. sithlard

sithlard Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2004
    The original post in this thread said that Jar Jar's lines were cut from the film. Could that mean that he still makes an appearance in the film, but doesn't talk?

20. Mos_Eisley

Mos_Eisley Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    ROTS will be great but in some minor respects, it seems like GL has capitulated over to doing too much to appease fanboy armchair directors and Jar Jar is the prime example.

Kevin Smith who has seen ROTS even remarked that it felt like GL had taken in a lot of net feedback in making this final episode.

Jar Jar was a major character in TPM and then a catalyst in AOTC and nothing in ROTS except appearing in the background.

I felt that GL could have and should have wrapped up Jar Jar's storyarc in terms of where he ends up in the end regardless of what fans want or didn't want for Jar Jar in ROTS.

And it still bugs me that headlines are popping up saying that ROTS isn't for kids because Star Wars was always supposed to be aimed at kids, at least that's what I thought, whether it was released in 1977 or 2005 and whether it had Anakin transforming into Vader or Jar Jar doing a musical number with some Ewoks.

Now some kids out there are going to have to wait a few years before they can fill the final gap in the saga because GL is trying to prove that he can be as "cool" as Peter Jackson or the Wachowski brothers.

George, you always were cool and those guys were following your lead. You never had to follow theirs to prove anything.

Anyway, ROTS will be awesome even if some of the younger crowd will have to get their ROTS fix from the toys and merchandise until they get a bit older.

21. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Do people honestly think this is an important story point?
    This story has enough characters/plotlines already - and these are the important ones we're talking about here. Jar Jar is inconsequential.

22. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    Jar Jar is inconsequential.

Straight to the point.

23. Mos_Eisley

Mos_Eisley Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    You could wrap up Jar Jar's fate in 30 seconds or less in a final scene in the Senate or on the Tantive IV, no problem.

No subplot or extra storyline required.

24. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Thanks Darthette.
    I try to keep it short and sweet.

25. sithlard

sithlard Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2004
    I personally feel that Jar Jar fulfilled his purpose in TPM and AOTC. In TPM he helped with the diversion, and in AOTC he proposed that the Chancellor get emergency powers. He's done enough, IMHO.

Even so, I'd still like to see him make an appearance, even if he doesn't speak. Does anyone know if he actually DOES make an appearance? I know he did in the graphic novel, but Yoda on Degobah was also in the graphic novel and that was cut entirely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.