main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas wusses out, cuts Jar Jar's lines

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by BothofUs, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Whiners? Jar Jar is the most hated character in cinematic history. Hundreds of website devoted to ripping him and his eventual demise.

Let's just be real about it. What did Jar Jar bring to the table? Should a goofy comic relief character dominate the film? No. It was obviously a bad decision.

I want to know who liked jar Jar's antics during the land battle climax of TPM??? Where are you fans? Please describe what he did that was great in the climax of the film (which he was all over)??

2. blue_snaggletooth

blue_snaggletooth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2002
    Lucas doesn't care about the negative flack Jar-Jar received. He says that's just a bunch of 30 year olds on the Internet, and that Jar-Jar was extremely successful with it's target demographic: children, and women.

so that'll be why there's no jar jar action figure avaiable for ROTS? if jar jar was loved by children as claimed you can bet there'd be an action figure.

3. GrandMoffMoff

GrandMoffMoff Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2002
    There are good ways to include Jar Jar in RotS.

And all of them involved him dieing an unspeakable death, whether from heroism or idiocy is yours to decide.

4. Master_Goodwrench

Master_Goodwrench Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2004
    Lucas doesn't care about the negative flack Jar-Jar received. He says that's just a bunch of 30 year olds on the Internet, and that Jar-Jar was extremely successful with it's target demographic: children, and women.

Let's not forget that if it weren't for those 30 year olds on the internet are the reason Lucas was able to continue making the Star Wars movies.

THEY FUNDED THE LUCASFILM EMPIRE!!!

It's about time all the lunch money I spent on action figures back in the 80's payed off.

So your damn right Lucas is smart to make the "30 year olds on the internet" happy.

5. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Jar Jar is okay. I have no problem with him at all... but...yeah. But atleast we get to see Jar jar very briefly towards the end. :)

:* :* Kisses for you all... :* :* -is high on smarties-

6. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    When TPM came out, everyone was screaming for Jar Jar's head on a platter. This thread is amazing.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Try watching TPM by skipping all of Jar-Jar's scenes, and you will realize that he plays no .... repeat, NO part whatsoever in the plot.

If you remove Jar-Jar the Jedi still would have made it to Naboo to meet up with the Queen, the Naboo would still have teamed up with the Gungans against the droids, the Gungans still would have lost the land battle, Anakin would still win the Bunta Eve Race, .... and so on. The ENTIRE plot remains in tact without Jar-Jar.

This, my friend, is where you are wrong. Jar Jar's part, comic relief aside, is that he becomes friends with Padme Amidala. In the beginning of the film, both the Gungans and the Naboo dislike each other. They have preconcieved notions about thinking that one is better than the other. But the more time they spend together, the more alike the two different races appear to be. Both are fighting for a common cause, but neither side was willing to team-up. That is, until Padme makes that decision. Padme sees the good in Jar Jar, just as he sees the good in her. Jar Jar is hailed as a hero for brining peace to two difference races, uniting them against a common foe. This bond carries over into AOTC, as we see Jar Jar has joined Padme in the Senate, as a representive of the Gungan race. Though his part is very small, he's still there as a reminder of that bond.

So yes, Virgina, Jar Jar does play a role in the PT.

Here endeth the lesson.

8. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    When TPM came out, everyone was screaming for Jar Jar's head on a platter. This thread is amazing.

you're missing the point of the thread.

9. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Sin, old buddy, I never got the impression that the people of Naboo didn't like the Gungans. At what part of the movie was that shown or discussed in any way? (EDIT: Oh and from the people's point of view, not the gungan's)

10. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    ^^^The Gungans seemed like they didn't like the people of Naboo moreso...

And, no, I get the point of this thread, I was just pointing out that I would have never imagined that a thread like this would ever exist after TPM...

11. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Must keep in mind that most of the Senator scenes in ROTS are for actual Senators. Jar Jar Binks is a Naboo Representative. Amidala is the Senator. Jar Jar was only speaking at the important Senator scenes in AOTC to take Amidala's place while she was away.

So when Lucas wrote the Senator scenes (which are now all cut) it would have made no sense for Jar Jar to appear in the scenes. I mean you don't see Bail Organa or Mon Mothma taking their planet Reps with them to every meeting. Jar Jar isn't an aide either. So he wouldn't be serving the drinks like 3PO.

George wrote a plot that worked, he just couldn't give Jar Jar anything important to do because there wasn't room.

Now is that justification for Jar Jar being one of the top characters in TPM? Maybe not. Maybe George overdid his role in that film. That's the beauty of hindsight.

12. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I will not miss Jar Jar.

13. LazyDivey

LazyDivey Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2003
    Look at it backwards, where is Lando in ANH? not there, yet Lucas felt he was important enough to blow up the freakin death star. Just because Jar Jar was important (and he was) in the TPM dosen't mean he has to even be in ROTS. It is not bad writing, it is not wussing out, it was the story. Deal with it.

EDIT: of course my 100th post would be an angry rant

14. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    It still doesn't justify him having no lines at all.

15. LazyDivey

LazyDivey Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2003
    EDIT: who cares anymore

16. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    darth-sinister, you beat me to it. Like him or hate him, Jar Jar was essential to the TPM plot.

I'm old enough to have been an adult when ANH came out and I remember people ripping Chewbacca like they rip Jar Jar today - just a lame old guy-in-a-gorilla-suit schtick, etc.

17. Kevin_Kenobi

Kevin_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 7, 2003
    Jar-Jar was important enough to cgi-in gungans into the ROTJ celebration

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    There's a reason that the Gungans felt as they did. It seems that there were never any relations between the Naboo and the Gungans, prior to TPM. If there were, they didn't bold very well. Cause up to the point where Padme proves that they aren't superior, it looks like they've never taken a serious meeting before.

Also forgot to mention this earlier, but since Boss Nass is in ROTS, we see that he still respects Padme as the great leader that she was. A nice bit on the part of Lucas.

19. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    ^^^Agreed Sin.
    We could use some of your trademark GL quotes over in the "Sidious indeed has a point" thread if you get a chance :)

20. ShadowofJedis

ShadowofJedis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2005
    Jar-jar, and the gungans, represented the innocence of not only Anakin, but the Republic. The republic did not have a major threat for "a millenia" and have grown into a utopian society in theyre minds. Everythings vivid, lively, nothing could go wrong. Thats where the whole gungan idealogy comes in, and its even represented with Jar Jar. Everythings perfect in gungan land, but if a trouble arises, they just cast it out.

Also, believe it or not, Lucas didn't say the PT was for kids, he did it for the love of star wars. The OT was the one "made for kids" or atleast "The kid inside all of us."

21. Master_Goodwrench

Master_Goodwrench Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2004
    Yoshifet is right ..... there was NEVER a feeling in TPM that the Naboo didn't like the Gungans. That was the impression the Gungans had ...

And Sinister ... Please let me know where the Great friendship between Padme and Jar-Jar developed, becuase in the movie that I watched, Jar-Jar spoke to Padme for a couple of minute in the Royal Naboo cruiser ... where she asked him if he was a Gungan ... and then, later, Jar-Jar let Padme know that the gungans had an army.

If I ask you were your from, does that make us best friends? or what if I tell you that the U.S has a big army? Are we buds?

Your on rocky ground when you claim that Padme and Jar-Jar became friends in TPM because there was no indication of that.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The theme/motiff of different lifeforms coming together, is an important theme in Star Wars. Each film shows how they can come together or be split apart. I know that some people hate the quotes, but I don't give a ****.

"I would like to see our society mature, and become more rational and more knowledge-based, less emotion-based. I'd like to see education play a larger role in our daily lives, have people come to a larger understanding?a ?bigger picture? understanding?of how we fit into the world, and how we fit into the universe. Not necessarily thinking of ourselves, but thinking of others.

Whether we're going to accomplish this, I'm not sure. Obviously, people have a lot of different dreams of where America should be, and where it should fit into things. Obviously, very few of them are compatible, and very few of them are very compatible with the laws of nature. Human nature means battling constantly between being completely self-absorbed and trying to be a communal creature. Nature makes you a communal creature. The ultimate single-minded, self-centered creature is a cancer cell. And mostly, we're not made up of cancer cells.

If you put that notion on a larger scale, you have to understand that it's a very cooperative world, not only with the environment, with but our fellow human beings. If you do not cooperate, if you do not work together to keep the entire organism going, the whole thing dies, and everybody dies with it. That's a law of nature, and it's existed forever. We're one of the very few creatures that has a choice, and can intellectualize the process.

Most organisms either adapt and become part of the system, or get wiped out. The only thing we have to adapt to the system with is our brain. If we don't use it, and we don't adapt fast enough, we won't survive."

? George Lucas, Academy of Achievement Interview, 1999

"One of the main themes in the film is having organisms realize that they must live together, and that they must live together for mutual advantage?not just humans but all living things?and everything in the galaxy is part of a greater whole."

? George Lucas, ?The Mythology of Star Wars,? Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth DVD, 2001

23. JediLaura01

JediLaura01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 20, 2001
    No Jar-Jar in ROTS offers no closure to his character. Aren't some people going to wonder what ever happened to him?

24. ShadowofJedis

ShadowofJedis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2005
    Padme became the Senator of Naboo, and Jar-Jar the Represenative. It's only to assume that they would have atleast a decent friendship together from those circumstances alone. More so, they both were together on a major event in theyre lives. They both had to fight against the invasion of Naboo, and both helped eachother. In drastic situations, strange and strong bonded relationships and friendships occur

25. Kevin_Kenobi

Kevin_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 7, 2003
    AND BESIDES....I'D BE HAPPY TO SEE JAR JAR IN ANY MOVIE AS LONG AS HE GETS KICKED IN THE NUTS BY A PIT DROID AGAIN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.