main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA George Lucas's mistake

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by BobaFettS1, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFettS1

BobaFettS1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2002
    The new movies and books have questioned things already laid down previosly. For instance, the death star was not designed by the Geonotians or Palpatine. It was designed at the maw installation. That and it was Tarkin's little project. Another thing is Boba Fett. He was supposed to be born and raised on Concord Down. That and he had the Slave 1 customized and then bought by him, not passed to him by Jango. There are other mistakes i cant remember but i think they should not have been changed.

2. fn_clone

fn_clone Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Wow, I must of missed a lot of dialogue because I don't remember hearing any of that in the Original Trilogy!

Some people are just fn unbelievable. ::shakes head:: :p
    (psst, don't hate me for bashing EU there.)

Oh yeah, if you are from the Sacramento area, welcome to our humble forum.

3. BobaFettS1

Jul 3, 2002
    Thats because its not in the movies. its in the info books and novels approved by Lucas. To my knowledge all books that are based on Star Wars are read and approved by George Lucas. And yes i am in the Sac city area. That and from my understanding those things i mentioned were his ideas.

4. fn_clone

May 2, 2002
    I see your point. I really enjoy some of the EU books and such. Though, when it comes to connecting EU with the movies, I don't think EU has any relevance in accordance with the movies, even though Lucas does give them his signature of approval. That's just my opinion though. There is not really a right or wrong, so there is no real use in further debates about it.

Any how, glad you found the Sac forum. Hopefully you can make it to our next event (whenever that is?) I'm really not a bastard (is that word acceptable?) if that was the impression you got from my first post. ;)

5. pacman

pacman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2002
    it's been said numerous times that everything in the book series is not canon. Meaning that don't believe everything you read, because if it doesn't have a Lucasfilm logo on it then George hasn't seen it. Before Episode 1 came out there was a book published that said Owen Lars was Obi-Wan's brother! So if it's not in the movies then its not entirely true and subject to change.

Surprisingly, almost all of the major plot points from all of the movies and even the one still to come , were written in the original draft for star wars. Lucas is pretty consistent when it comes to writing background stories for all of his characters. I don't know if you have noticed, but every person, place,and thing-a-ma-gig has a name and a story behind that name. In my opinion, that kind of attention to detail is a sure sign of a master storyteller. The Indy series is a good example of that, he had enough material to make a TV show about indy's past.

6. fn_clone

May 2, 2002
    Pacman, nice to see you up this late.

"he had enough material to make a TV show about indy's past."

Ahhh yes, the adventures of young Indy. I liked that show, but then maybe I was just young and naive. ;)

7. BobaFettS1

Jul 3, 2002
    Youre both right in some ways. My info comes from books labeled With Lucas Films logos. all im saying is that he should stick to his story. that and i think the new movies arent really living up to 4,5,and 6. But i think a true fan has read all the books thouroghly and understood what in the world is going on.

8. fn_clone

May 2, 2002
    [sarcasm]And all this time I thought I was a true fan. :_|[/sarcasm]

On the official note, I am a true fan of the movies.

9. sacul-1138

sacul-1138 Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 9, 2000
    As a fan of both Eu and Movies it's been a tough pill to swallow but the book, games, comics..etc are totally seperate universes.

Lucas lamented about it recently in some magazine I was reading.

However Lucas has made many mistakes othewise....but I wont go into it I'll just shut up and enjoy the movies.

10. G-Dub

G-Dub Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2001
    I agree with sacul. As someone who has enjoyed reading EU books and comics and playing the RPG, it's brutal to see what you had thought to be true torn asunder in an instant with a single scene. But it's GL's universe, and I suppose I have to let him make the rules. I don't have to like it though.

*grumbles to himself about midichlorians*

11. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    pacman don?t rule out Owen being Obi-Wans brother yet! There is still one movie left. ;)

12. CalQdeX

CalQdeX Jedi Master star 2

Mar 29, 2001
    "BobaFettS1: all im saying is that he should stick to his story"

He did stick to HIS story.

13. Darth_Hater

Darth_Hater Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    The only thing Lucas has to do with the EU is he approves whether or not the publishers can slap a picture of Han Solo on the cover.

It's not George's story, its some fans story, but they can't use the names you hear in the movies(i.e. Luke Skywalker, Lightsaber, Tatoooine) without Jorge's permission.

This is why i think George Lucas himself needs to write the comprehensive Star Wars Encyclopedia after Episode III is out.

14. PowerOfTheDarkside

PowerOfTheDarkside Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    "George Lucas' mistake?"

George doesn't make mistakes, he only makes magic.

15. BobaFettS1

Jul 3, 2002
    Man, i knew people would reply like that. I expected more harsh comments. a lot of you people need to find something to do than fantasize about being a jedi or something. i mean i like star wars but i dont get really into it like its real. you need to worry a little less about SW and more about your real life. you are becoming trekkies. and there absessed. they want it to be real so they dont have to face reality. dont let it happen to you. god, it makes me sad to see people waste away dreaming own things that wont happen.

16. Darth_Hater

Apr 22, 2002
    What does "absessed" mean?

If you believe in what you just stated, why do you read the Expanded Universe material?

Oh yes, and why are you here?

Why aren't you sitting in your tower?

p.s. Please capitalize "God". It's only proper

17. fn_clone

May 2, 2002
    "But i think a true fan has read all the books thouroghly and understood what in the world is going on."

Okay, let's see who exactly needs to spend less time with Star Wars. Not that devoting your life to the Star Wars cause is a bad thing. :D

"Man, i knew people would reply like that. I expected more harsh comments."

If you knew we would reply like that, why did you post this topic?

18. Jandor_Tarvin

Jandor_Tarvin Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    BobafettS1

Yeah, uh hi there.

Okay, a number of points you need to be made aware of.

1. George Lucas has stated quite clearly in an interview that all of the EU stuff 'occurs in an alternate universe'. As far as he is concerned the films are the truth as he sees it. (And since it is his creation, who can argue with him? Nobody.)

2. George Lucas is a busy man. He does not 'read and approve' all of the EU books that come out, but that is left to the LucasArts merchandising department. He does not personally 'give his ok' to any of them.

3. George Lucas created Star Wars. So he has the final right to chop and change whatever he sees fit. Sure, we are the fans and we might disagree with some things (I mean who among us would not want to have Jar Jar Binks changed in some way?), but at the end of the day, Star Wars is George Lucas' Baby. So it's entirely his call.

4. While your thread originally started out as an interesting point of view, it has degenerated with your latest post, into a flaming session. We do not all 'live in a fantasy', and some of us actually enjoy Star Trek.

When it looks like people diagree with your opinion, you resort to flaming.

I find that particularly sad, and highly rude. If you don't want people to post their opinions and disagree with yours... then don't start a thread.

Jandor Tarvin,
    Defender of Canon Material.

19. fn_clone

May 2, 2002
    ::applauds Jandor-Tarvin::

Well done, well done.

20. BobaFettS1

Jul 3, 2002
    you guys took that way to seriously, im just meesin with you all. my friend made a bet with me. and i won. the bet was to get a bunch of people on the forum pissed. sorry for what i previously said. me and my friends are really hardcore fans with nothing to do. i agree its GL little world and all that. it is kind of funny what we did but i apologize. i just wanted $50.
    My apologize most sincerely.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

21. Darth_Hater

Apr 22, 2002
    riiiiiight!

that was a good joke

For Me To POOP On!

22. fn_clone

May 2, 2002
    I think your friend should've won the bet. I don't think any of us were pissed, so just go along and hand your friend his money.

23. sacul-1138

sacul-1138 Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 9, 2000
    HA HA!!! you funny guy Boba...funny indeed.

nice way to earn 50 bucks I guess.

Can we talk about something more important now?
    Like Say
    [image=http://www.billandted.org/pics/bj/btbjdeathpose2.jpg]
    THE NEW WYLD STALLIONS CD!!

BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER
    [image=http://www.billandted.org/pics/ea/bteastagebwb.jpg]

24. fn_clone

May 2, 2002
    why of course dude!
    [image=http://keanuweb.com/_gfx/krmbta98.jpg]

25. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4