main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Georgia Chapter?

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Joanzia, May 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanzia

Joanzia Former FF Staff star 3 VIP

Oct 18, 2000
    Hi there everyone!! I wanted to stop in and say hi. I have talked with Hama (South's RSA) about whether there is a chapter in the works here. He has told me that ya'll are planning on meeting together soon.

I would very much like to see ya'll meet the requirements for becoming an official chapter before DragonCon. It would be so cool to see you there!! Sometimes Con's allow a local fan club such as a FanForce chapter to have a free booth.

Please, talk about getting a chapter started and get with Hama about the requirements and work with him to become official. It would be an honor for us to have an Atlanta, Georgia chapter representing the FanForce at DragonCon!!! :D

Let us know how we can help!!

-Joanzia
    FanForce Global Support

2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    "I assure you, this chapter will be operational as planned."

Hama: "The Emperor Joanzia does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation."

"But she asks the impossible. I need more members."

Hama: "Then perhaps you can tell her when she arrives."

"Joanzia is coming here?"

Hama: "That is correct. And she is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress."

"We shall double our efforts!"

Hama: "I hope so, for your sake. Joanzia is not as forgiving as I am."

NOTE: Joanzia is not displeased with Atlanta's progress, nor is she unforgiving. She's actually a nice person. The part about her coming here, however, is true. We'll both be at DragonCon this year.

3. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Well, we're trying to get our act together. Atlanta fandom is very apathetic to doing any club things. As you see, it is near impossible to get anyone to do anything. I am trying to help get it going. There is a small Trek convention in town in a few weeks. Hopefully we can get a group to meet then. The only other Star Wars fans I know of is the 501st Stormtrooper Legion in town. But they tend to be heavily into their own thing (costumes and charity events, which is cool).

4. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    It's so odd, but I think if we can get a small something going, we'd pick up steam quickly. I think there's an interest out there, but not an interest in being the ones to get it started.

But this is a completely different type of fandom here in Atlanta. Hard to understand.

5. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I'm with you RosieWook. I agree about fandom here. And you are right, if someone starts the ball rolling, people will start to get in on the ride. So, let's go for it. Let's get this thing moving. I'll put together a little agenda of discussion items for the meeting to get it going. If that's kewl with you? Should we make an announcement on the board here to see who wants to be there?

6. Joanzia

Oct 18, 2000
    Ya'll are both correct in your thinking. We have noticed that many people are more than willing to be apart of a SW fan club if it is already established. It justs take a couple of enthusiastic people to get it started and going and the others will come.

We had the same problem over in New York City. No one really wanted to start a chapter up or talk over the forums but once the NE RSA set up a meeting time and place, he has a good amount of people that have expressed an interest in going to it.

My suggestion would be to decided on a meeting time and place, announce it on these forums, and let Hama know about it beforehand. He will get it posted on the FanForce main news page which is also seen on the TFN main page. Many people will see "Atlanta, Georgia" on TFN and go and check it out. It may start off slow but with time you can have a good group with which to share your SW fandom. And we are getting more and more visitors coming to FF as Episode 2 draws closer to us.

Also, when you get a meeting set up, JediTalk, an online radio show, have been very generous to the FF, and will let you announce your meeting on their Sunday evening shows.

:)

Please, let us know how we can help and if you have any questions.

May The Force Be With You!!!

7. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Exactly. I was with the Indy chapter when it was first getting started. At first, there were only 3-4 of us getting together at a restaurant. Now it's grown considerably. All it takes is finally getting the first event together, and that will get the ball rolling.

8. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    I called the Marriott and the name of the lounge is the Park Place.

I say we throw up an announcement this week, if possible, so we can catch infrequent visitors.

I'm tired of the lackluster Star Wars activity in this town. We need more than DragonCon preparation.

9. Gen. Madine's Hairpiece

Gen. Madine's Hairpiece Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 1, 2000
    When is DragonCon this year?
    //clueless

10. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I'm with you on putting up the notice. With the Vulkon being next weekend, we need to get the notice out. I will get the people I know to post tomorrow for sure. The fans are here, we just gotta get the ball rolling.

11. Joanzia

Oct 18, 2000
    DragonCon is August 31st thru Sept. 3rd.

12. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    I'm not clear on this whole "numbers" thing. The only thing I saw in the FAQ is that we have to manage three meetings under our belt before we're considered an "official" chapter. It doesn't say anything about having to have a certain number of people in order to be able to post a notice.

Jace, do you want to be our official representative until we can have a meeting and get organized?

13. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I would be happy to serve as the rep. I will get them to post this evening. Whatever it takes to post an announcement, let's get this thing moving. Can we get this posted or not?

14. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Try to get at least three to attend you event (the more the better, obviously). As soon as you've got something officially planned, go ahead and email the announcement so that we can get it on the web ASAP.

GMH -- You can also visit the DragonCon official site for more info on the convention.

15. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Well, I have a friend coming with me, so that's at least three. And if Jace's two come along, that makes five. I think we officially have enough to get a notice posted.

Is it allowed to directly e-mail those who have posted on this board in the past to announce this? (This is assuming, of course, that they've supplied an e-mail address on their profile.)

I have every confidence that this will eventually snowball into something bigger, but having a good first meeting always helps.

16. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    If someone has posted their email address in their profile, you're more than welcome to use it. If someone does not want their email address to be public but still wants to be contacted for events, they can always send you the address via PM or something.

17. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Well, I would be most happy to go through and e-mail those who have public e-mail addresses and let Jace do the notice to TFN.

I suppose we should make a sign so it's easier for people to find us?

18. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    <chuckle> Yeah... make sure you have some way to recognize, or a very specific meeting place. The first FF event I attended was almost a disaster, since I had no idea what anyone looked like. Fortunately, two others saw that I was stumbling around lost and met me.

If you're meeting at a restaurant, I recommend choosing a name to give the hostess (i.e., "Lucas party of five").

19. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    That is... if the restaurant you choose has a hostess. (ours didn't, as we quickly discovered)

20. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I will contact the main Fan Force people to post the meeting date/time. I'll also make a sign and let the host/hostess know that people should ask for Skywalker party. Any objections to this? Okay, then look for a post on the main boards soon.

21. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Cool! This is going to be so much fun!

I will start e-mailing everyone who's posted on the boards (with a public e-mail) when I get home from work.

22. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    I combined the emails from RosieWook and Jace Darkrider into one message and posted it on the Fanforce main page. If you have any updates, let me know.

23. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Thanks for posting the announcement for us! It was pretty exciting. Although now we have all these other groups who posted, as well. Hopefully Atlantans will spot it.

I've only heard from one of the people I e-mailed. I'm sure it will grow, though.

I'll get there a little early on Saturday and will bring along a sign-up sheet so we can get everyone's pertinent info.

24. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I too will try to get there early. Great idea on the sign up sheet. Look forward to meeting you on Saturday.

25. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    Cool. Let me know how things go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.