main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Georgia Teens fight for Racially-Integrated Proms, because it's 2013

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And then they got cruelly pranked by being led to believe an unoffical prom was being held in one location while everybody else was having a 'no gays' only prom clear across town.

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    What can thoes kids do really besides move out of the crap town as soon as they have the money and skills to do so and not come back.

If the locals are'nt embarassed about their ways now there is little that is going to change them now (besides brute force).

I feel sorry for thoes kids.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Thank you, Georgia. You've suddenly made North Carolina look enlightened.

4. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I came in here just to thank them for making Texas look downright progressive.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Nonsense. The school bares some responsibility for condoning and endorsing (silence is endorsement) this crap.

Of course we can. Permission granted to look into it before deciding that the school is blameless here. Watch the news story I linked to, for example.

Ahh...yes. You are certainly lazy and disinterested. That much is very clear. You seem ready to defend a public school that tacitly, if not overtly, endorses overt racism.

Just so I'm clear, overtly racist organized parties that have police support for blocking entrance to minorities are lower on the totem pole of concern than when considering yearbook entries than rude gestures. Got it.

Wow.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It probably says something that I considered this normal enough to momentarily wonder why you were nauseated that they were trying to end segregation.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi and Souderwan like this.
  7. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Nothing screams southern pride like a group of overweight kids speaking in broken English and pseudo Ebonics while being racially oppressed.

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Times have definitely changed. Twenty years ago, southern women didn't get that fat until they were well into their thirties.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And making Virginia seem liberal by comparison.

Props though to those kids trying to actually do something about it.

Souderwan likes this.
  10. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Ugh...just...ugh.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  11. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    wow. Racism is intense. this is just stupid.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal won't be endorsing one high school's effort to have its first integrated prom -- at least for the time being, his spokesman said.​

In an email to WMAZ-TV, Deal's representative Brian Robinson said the governor would not respond to a progressive nonprofit group's calls to support students' efforts to organize the first integrated prom at Wilcox County High School.​

"This is a leftist front group for the state Democratic Party and we're not going to lend a hand to their silly publicity stunt," Robinson wrote, according to WMAZ-TV.​

Yet three Republican state representatives have joined four Democrats in endorsing the integrated prom
    , according to Better Georgia, the group that called for Deal to also support the idea.​

Wilcox County High School, located in Rochelle, Ga., is planning to have its first integrated prom this year, thanks to the efforts of a small group of students who organized and fundraised for the event. The Georgia NAACP helped the students' effort by lobbying the Wilcox County School Board to end the practice of segregated proms.​

In the past, students have attended racially segregated proms. The dances were funded by the county's families, not by the school.​

Still, efforts to organize a prom where students of any race could attend were met with hostility.​

"I put up posters for the integrated prom and we've had people ripping them down at the school," Keela Bloodworth, one of the students who led the effort to host the integrated event, told WSAV.​

The school's principal, Chad Davis, said that school officials will consider having an official prom in 2014, according to a statement on the school's website.​

Link

Well, this Nathan Deal is officially my least-liked governor in the country now.

At least the school is "considering" having a real prom next year.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Blacks and Whites together in the same dance is a "progressive; leftist" idea.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    "A silly publicity stunt" Are you ********* kidding me with this guy?!

Is Georgia a one - term state or is this guy up for reelection or what?

16. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002

So, Governor, are you therefore admitting that the state Republican Party supports racial segregation?

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Stay classy, Georgia. And once again thanks for taking the national spotlight on how bass-ackwards North Carolina is. My high school proms were integrated in the late 80s.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Every so often, I start to forget why I hate people.

Thank you.