main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gerrymandering in the US

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Humble extra, Oct 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    We just went through this in South Carolina. We were granted another seat after the national census. It pretty clear that lines are drawn in a certain party's favor. It happens all the time and just about everywhere in the US. Even though it's technically illegal, the Supreme Court has no means to enforce it's rulings. This will always be one of many tricks to gain votes during an election.

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd point out only racial gerrymandering is illegal, political gerrymandering is perfectly fine.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    That's a good point. Although, I will say that they're one in the same a lot of the time.

4. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Georgia has been thru this road too. In 1990, they took a lot of heat because they drew districts intentionally with the purpose that would get blacks elected, essentially on racial lines. The Supreme Court ruled that unconstitutional.

However, they upheld a case in 2000, where the districts were withdrawn for 'Political Purposes', which I guess is OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.