main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Get a Free Star Wars Comic Book on May 7th

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TankCop, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    :( I'm stuck at work and don't even know of a comic book shop in this area. Will it go in a TPB?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's likely to be in the Obsession TPB.

The LOE tie-in is that at the end of the issue, Anakin & Obi-wan recieve their orders to go after Nute Gunray on Cato Nemodia and they depart for it within the hour.

3. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Any chance of seeing one of those neat summaries, or does the 'no summary for (?) days after it's been released [face_shame_on_you]' rule also apply here?

4. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"It's likely to be in the Obsession TPB."<<

Didn't Randy say it wasn't going to be?

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I recall him shooting down the speculation that Republic 67 would be included. And including this as a bonus at the end of Obsession, given this issues timneline placement, makes the most sense.

As far as summaries go- people are free to make em ::)

6. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Why is Randy so embarrassed about his own writing? Acts of War is one of the best SW comic arcs to date. And his Marvel one-shot was the best issue of any of them.

7. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    Don't forget Crimson Empire!

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think he's embarassed- it's just a matter of, given the page count requirements and limitations of the TPB volumes, there was simply no place to fit 67 in.

9. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Don't forget Crimson Empire!

:oops: How could I? I love Crimson Empire.

[face_beatup] @ self.

And 2Q I heard he was shy about his writing. I forget where.

10. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I picked this up today but haven't read it yet. I looked inside the cover, though. Does this story not have a title at all? If not, perhaps it will when/if it is reprinted?

EDIT: Nevermind. It's Brothers in Arms. I knew I'd heard that before (beside Republic #50, that is. ;))

11. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    Summary for those who couldn't get it:

The Mission to Ruhe

Key Characters

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker

Setting the Stage

Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker traveled to Ruhe, acting on intelligence that Count Dooku and General Grievous were on their way to a Confederacy base there.

The Mission

Obi-Wan and Anakin went down to the planet in a Republic Gunship, accompanied by a group of Clone Troopers. Unfortunately, the ship crashed in the middle of the forest. All communications were down, and they engines were unresponsive. One of the troopers told them that it might take days to fix the ship.

Determined to get to the Confederacy base before Dooku and Grievous do, Anakin, Obi-Wan, and two clones set out on speeder bikes. They didn?t get very far before battle droids, including some mounted on STAPs, start firing at them. Skywalker and Kenobi were forced to jump off their speeder bikes and face the droids. The two jedi deflected the laserfire and cut down all of the battle droids. But by the time they had defeated all of the droids, the two clones who were accompanying them, and the four speeder bikes had been destroyed. Obi-wan and Anakin continued on foot, and after sending a night sleping in the woods, finally arrived at the Confederacy base.

As they came close they saw a ship that looked to be Dooku?s flying in. There were no guards outside the base so the two Jedi entered. Obi-Wan and Anakin walked into the base only to find themselves staring at hundreds of battle droids and super battle droids. They started fighting the droids, but quickly realized that there are too many of them. They headed for the stairs, slicing droids as they went. They found themselves on a balcony. Just across a bridge from them is the ship they assumed was Dooku?s. Obi-Wan and Anakin crossed the bridge, then destroyed it?s struts preventing the droids from following.

Now it was just Obi-Wan, Anakin, and the ship they thought was Dooku?s, alone on a high platform. But coming off the exit ramp of the ship was not Dooku, but three Droidekas. With their shields and their canon-like guns, it seemed that the destroyers were too powerful. Obi-Wan tried to deflect a blast from on the droidekas --- and fell off the edge of the platform!

Suddenly, the Republic Gunship flew up, just in time for Obi-Wan to fall into it. Guns blazing, the ship made short work of the destroyer droids. Apparently, repairs went faster than they originally thought. The gunship landed and Anakin climbed in. It was a good thing the gunship showed up when it did, or Anakin and Obi-Wan would have been killed.

Outcome

Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker survive the trap set for them on Ruhe.

Sources

Free Comic Book Day Special 2005
    (Summarized by Paul Myers)

This summary brought to you by The Unofficial Clone Wars Site: Mission to Ruhe

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Acts of War was good for a leisure read, but just that.

13. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    PEZman4 posted on 5/7/05 9:17pm
    EDIT: Nevermind. It's [u]Brothers in Arms[/u]. I knew I'd heard that before (beside Republic #50, that is. [face_wink] )
    [hr][/blockquote]

[image=http://home.hetnet.nl/~tijgertje51/Dire%20Straits%20-%20Brothers%20In%20Arms%20-%20Front.jpg]

;;)

[i]>>"Why is Randy so embarrassed about his own writing?"<<[/i]

He certainly shouldn't be, he's a very good writer. Check out his [link=http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7243&sid=3681405a4a50bafa9ed1e200ef6eab3c]fake review of Episode III[/link] for an example. Semi-Spoilers apply.

[blockquote]They made everybody sign an iron-clad non-disclosure agreement that said we promise not to reveal anything about the film until May 17 at the earliest, so don?t tell anybody about this review! [/blockquote]

14. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Personally, I wasn't too impressed with the story. It felt like it needed a better setup for one. I mean, I'm used to in medias res in SW, but that really felt like they should have had an opening scroll to quickly set things up. The artwork for Anakin didn't look too much like Anakin too me. Both Anakin and Obi-Wan just seemed too willing to walk blindly into trap after trap. It seemed like the whole thing should have been setting up another comic cause the story just seemed to short with everything that was going on. And Obi-Wan seemed to me to be so out of character. I'd expect him to be grateful to Anakin for having his back, but he seemed a little more bumbling to me and he was like "Oh god, Anakin, thank you so terribly much for saving me! I'm such a terrible untrained Jedi that I need someone as great as you around to keep me alive. Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

But there were somethings I liked. Jenks was a great addition, though I really wish we'd seen a lot more of him. And I loved those speeder bikes Obi-Wan, Anakin, and the clones were riding. Really wish we'd see more of those beauties cause they looked like such sweet rides.

15. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    This is the first SW comic from Dark Horse I've read, and I found that I really, really liked it. The writing was alright, a few too many lines cribbed from the movies, but almost every EU story does that.
    The art was grew on me, at its best it resembles some of Salvator Larroca's better stuff. Anakin and Obi-Wan's faces seemed to change from panel to panel, though.

If I wanted to continue reading comics in this vein, would I start with the Clone Wars TPBs that are available? I gotta say, I'm mostly interested in what main characters like Ani & Obi-Wan are up to... I'm not too interested in the Clone Wars adventures of a random Ithorian Jedi. Do the CW TPBs mostly focus on Anakin & Obi-Wan?
    And did the writer & artist of this one-shot work on more of the CW comics?

16. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    I'm not too interested in the Clone Wars adventures of a random Ithorian Jedi. Do the CW TPBs mostly focus on Anakin & Obi-Wan?
    And did the writer & artist of this one-shot work on more of the CW comics?

Almost half of the Clone Wars comics have to do with either Anakin or Obi-wan or both. The next big chunk tend to focus on Quinlan Vos, Tholme, and Aayla Secura. Every now and then we get a story that is about neither: Mace Windu, Bail Organa, etc.

Most likely 2ndQuest or clonewarseu or Trilobite can give a breakdown of which TPBs cover which characters best.

Anakin and Obi-wan are the focus of the "Obsession" series, which is outside the normal Republic series.

If you like Anakin skirting to the dark side, check out the story arcs with Quinlan Vos!

17. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Yeah, the Clone Wars TPB's are a great place to get more of the same stuff you got in the Free Comic Book Day comic. You'll get adventures of Obi-wan and Anakin, as well as the continuing adventures of Quinlan Vos, who is an excellent character invented by John Ostrander, the writer of most of the Republic comics.

18. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Woo, hoo, that was the first "Free comic Book Day I participated in. It was fun and I got some new stuff. I was afraid that all the free books would be gone when I got there, but they were not. I got extra to take to my comic book loving students today. Have not read the SW freebee yet. Did not like the drawing as mentioned, on a quick glance.

19. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    It was okay, I liked the art but the story was meh. But you know it was free, so I'm not too bothered. Keep in mind it was designed to hook in new readers to the comics.

20. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    I'd like to get a free comic book as well - here in Europe.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Obi-wan and Anakin appear in every Clone Wars TPB so far except for Volume 4 (which focuses on Dooku, Quinlan and Aayla). But they're all worth reading, you get a good mix of film and original characters to follow.

22. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >I mean, I'm used to in medias res in SW, but that really felt like they should have had an opening scroll to quickly set things up.<

Um, wasn't there an opening scroll on the inside cover? Or was that something else?

TC

23. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Um, wasn't there an opening scroll on the inside cover? Or was that something else?

Ok, now I'm going to have to go check and see. And see if it explains the opening enough to keep from say "What the @#$%#@#%&*#%!@# happened to cause the gunship to get shot down and why only one gunship to be found."

Edit: Doesn't do enough to set up the story personally. Just explains that Obi-Wan and Anakin are looking to catch Dooku and Grevious and bring an end to the war. Nothing about why they appear to have only brought one gunship or anything like that.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Leland: "I've stated elsewhere that Labyrinth of Evil starts off about a month before Episode III (published timelines placed it 3 months before Episode III) so the novel spans about a month. The Free Comic Book Day issue should probably be placed days or weeks just before Labyrinth of Evil."

25. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    How long is Obsesion before LoE? becase the Free Comic Day issue is set immediately after Obssesion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.