main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get In Line - A Social Countdown to Episode VII... v. 2.0

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthTunick , Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Doctor Who is so much fun Darth Chiznuk. I'm on series 4 and am loving it as well. Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant rock. Have to wait and see about Matt Smith though. Also want to do the Classic Doctor Who stuff.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I got my son into Nu Who, which I really like, and now he's watching the classic stuff.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Some of the classic stories sincerely exceed their limitations. Talons of Weng Chiang is utterly brilliant.

Chewgumma likes this.
  4. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Where's a good place to start with Doctor Who? I've heard about it all my life, and it's surely something I'd enjoy…just don't know where to begin. Any suggestions?

The Hellhammer likes this.
  5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

That's where I'm at as well. :D

The Hellhammer likes this.
  6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I think a lot of the original Dr Who episodes are lost forever. The BBC didn't look after it's old film too well. Every now and then some random finds a bunch in his attic. I always enjoyed the Tom Baker Dr.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    2005 Series 1 Episode Rose with the 9th Doctor Christopher Eccleston or the 1st Doctor from 1963.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Damn Nu Who fans and their "The series is 50 years old... start with the last 8 years because they're all I am familiar with". Start with An Unearthly Child. It's the first episode.

Chewgumma likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I am planning on jumping back to the older stuff soon. Was just easier to find the more recent stuff. But with some of the episodes missing wouldn't that throw the momentum off? Etc.

Where about in series 4? I'm at the Unicorn and the Wasp.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    There are only a handful of episodes missing during Troughton's tenure as the second Doctor (which is a tragedy, since he was brilliant) and the individual storylines (generally 4-6 episodes) were mostly self contained. As an example... you wouldn't need to see The Crimson Horror in order to understand or follow School Reunion. All of the "important" classic stories are intact. I started viewing the program 32 years ago during Tom Baker's tenure, but I made sure to go backward as well as forward to witness everything as it became accessible. Once you see the entire series, companions like Rose and Amy Pond seem like a millisecond compared to others who came before and had much larger impacts. It doesn't take away from any modern characters, but it certainly lends perspective to the scale of some of the Doctor's other relationships, which is kinda cool.

Chewgumma likes this.
  11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

You mean there are Doctors that aren't David Tennant and Matt Smith!?

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Force Smuggler I just finished with Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. Best Doctor of the past 8 years by far is...
    [​IMG]

:p

Chewgumma likes this.
  14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I plan on watching Classic Who once I'm caught up with NuWho.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Congrats! [face_party]

Mystery Roach likes this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    All oldbie joking aside... they don't necessarily have to be viewed in order as long as you are familiar with the companions from recent documentaries or books. If you really want to dive in to some classic Who but start with some seriously impressive stories from each Doctor, I will gladly give recommendations and point toward online clips so you can judge whether my recommendations seem copacetic.

DarthTunick and Chewgumma like this.
  17. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999

I see. I've got Netflix, and this is what they offer as far as Classic Doctor Who. Each titled selection contains 4-5 episodes, which aren't listed as 'seasons', so I don't know. Would you suggest just picking the earliest ones and going on chronologically from there? I understand that this probably isn't a comprehensive offering… ;)

http://instantwatcher.com/titles?q=doctor+who&search_episodes=

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    A Chorus of Disapproval Netflix has some Classic Who episodes via their streaming option, but hopefully that's a good start. Any other sources online (cause I'm financially strapped right now, so buying DVD's of the Classic series is not an option) would be greatly helpful too.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    To be honest... with a handful of very notable exceptions... the Netflix free library are mostly some of the least impressive episodes. :( There are many great First Doctor stories accessible, but Netflix offers one of the more sluggish and least "alien". Most of the Tom Baker episodes are the "filler" between the major budgeted showcase stories. If that is all you can have access to, it isn't bad... it just is pretty much not the best.

20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

City of Death and Caves of Androzani are absolute must watches for any Doctor Who fan as they're often regarded as some of the best stories the show has produced over its 50 year history. So if you want to watch some classic Who stories on Netflix those would be a great place to start in my opinion.

It's a pretty weak list, but there's a couple of gems in there. More than enough to act as a gateway drug before leading to DVD purchases. :p

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    My favorite Fourth Doctor stories are Terror of the Zygons, Robots of Death, Talons of Weng Chiang, Creature From the Pit, City of Death, Destiny of the Daleks, and State of Decay (which happens to be the very first story I viewed as a lad... Baker with Romana and K9 hunting vampires...? Yeah, count me in!).

Chewgumma likes this.
  22. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    Yes, this is why I've put off getting myself involved in yet another franchise. I know from experience I'll be throwing cash at it before very long. :D

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    My favorite Tardis crew:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My favorite monsters:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I happen to like too many of the Doctors.

24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I have yet to see a single Dr. Who episode.

HanSolo29 and Odolwa like this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    On that now.

DarthTunick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.