main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get In Line - A Social Countdown to Episode VII... v. 2.0

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthTunick , Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    One interesting thing about REBELS, unlike TCW, is it's full of brand new characters, albeit highly recognizable ones. It relies solely on backdrop, with no hint of characters we know of anywhere. That's probably how it begins. Of course eventually we meet characters from the OT. I think it will be good fun. Something to tide us over until...you know...Downton Abbey Season VII.

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    By the way, speaking of those Sith Barbarians... :p We had a party for our friend who is going awaiy to Dubai for roughly a month. This is among the stuff I found in my photo gallery after the said event.

I honestly have no explanation.

I do not own a golden mask.

Nor does anyone I know.

[​IMG]

T-R-, Immortiss, StoneRiver and 5 others like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There have been a couple of times I've woken up and found pictures of myself that I have no memory of taking. I always take it as a sign that it was at least a fun night. :p

Good news on the home front. We got a second estimate on our foundation repairs that was significantly less than the first one. We'll still need to borrow from my parents but I can pay for most of it with my tax returns. Huge relief!

T-R-, JainaSoloYJK, Immortiss and 7 others like this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    "Mudhole?! Slimy?! My home this is!" :)

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Good news, Chiznuk. Sounds manageable enough that being in debt won't weigh nearly as heavily upon you.

T-R-, Immortiss and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I'm really loving this trailer…=D=

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I don't have much of an interest in seeing it.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Me neither. [face_dunno]

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ditto.

Then again, I've been pretty "meh" on all the Marvel/superhero films lately.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to say, interesting read! Thanks for the link!

I guess I do consider myself "burned out" on the genre, especially since all of them seem to be blurring together. It's the same things over and over and over again. It just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I know that's probably not the most popular opinion, but what are you going to do? [face_dunno]

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  14. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I've never been into "super hero" movies. I mean, I liked the original "Superman" when I was a kid, but the recent batches of the last 15 years or so….meh. I just don't care. And I've seen *alot* of them---my ex-bf was a fan. So I do know what I'm missing, I just….yeah.

I did like the first "Iron Man" a lot , though. But I think that had more to do with Robert Downey, Jr. I'm a fan of him. :)

EHT likes this.
  15. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I enjoy superhero movies here and there but they're really not my thing. The only Marvel film since the first Hulk that I've even bothered to see in the theater is The Avengers, and I waited a while before doing that. Since then I haven't seen any of them. I usually like them in a sort of forgettable way once I get around to seeing them, but I can take them or leave them. I like Donner's Superman, Burton and Nolan's Batman, Singer's X-Men, and Raimi's Spider-Man movies and that's it for the most part. My favorite comic book film will probably always be Howard the Duck, so I guess I'm just a weirdo.

EHT likes this.
  16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Although I've enjoyed almost every superhero film I've seen in the past decade+, I can understand why some folks are feeling burnt out.

A Chorus of Disapproval The red eyes make you avatar that much more creepier. :p

17. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I'm honestly curious as to when the superhero movies will go out of style. You've gotta think they'll run out of gas eventually. Same thing will probably happen to Star Wars if they are really doing the one movie a year thing consistently. Though it will more than likely take longer because it's less movies overall.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003

I have. And I retweet often.

19. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Agreed. Superhero movies will eventually go out of style, especially due to all the unnecessary reboots. Most trends run out of steam at some point. It's a circular cycle. I predict that superhero films go out of style sooner than expected.
    December 18, 2015... to be exact. :p

When it comes to Star Wars however, I don't believe the franchise will suffer the same fate. The duration of its trending cycle will differ vastly. Existing as a saga, Star Wars will always be a draw for the original generation of fans, regardless of the OT comparisons they tend to make. The only 'true' lull IMO, was when there was practically no SW media at all. The novels of the early 90s sparked interest again, and I feel like the popularity of the franchise hasn't wavered much since the announcement of Episode I. Sure, there was a theatrical lull after 2005, but SW media continued in a strong fashion.

Honestly, I think they can release one movie per year for the next decade, and it wouldn't hurt the franchise. Even the spinoffs are anticipated, so the trend will last that much longer. The legions of fans that already exist, coupled with the new generation of Star Wars enthusiasts, will make all the difference in extending the longevity of the franchise as a whole.

T-R-, Episode Swag and EHT like this.
  20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    The problem I have with superhero flicks is that they're all following the same pattern with just a different cast. If there was to be some experimenting, some new approaches, different styles... anything - then probably it would be a bit more interesting. I find them to be a decent distraction when I'm in the mood to just watch something explode and people smashing each other for 2 hours, but other than that, they're largely forgettable.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    YOUR Dredd sequel? It's mine too dammit! I'm entitled too!

22. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I never actually finished watching that movie. Absolutely no reason for it, I liked it but something must've popped up while I was watching, took a break, dealt with the situation... and simply forgot to finish it.

23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I said some of this in that other thread that I linked to above, but for some additional thoughts regarding superhero movies... I've enjoyed watching many of the ones I've watched, but I've also realized lately that I'm getting burned out on them. I skipped some recent ones, partially due to "picking and choosing", but also due to burnout.

So for some examples:
    I got back into the Raimi Spider-Man movies when my son (now 7) went through a Spider-Man (and superheroes in general) phase. We watched all three of those, and enjoyed them (mostly the first two). Then when The Amazing Spider-Man came out we saw that in the theater and enjoyed it... but for some reason BOTH of us are not even sure we want to bother seeing The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which of course comes out soon. He told me he doesn't really care about Spider-Man anymore, and also that he wasn't really that into superheroes as a whole now. Coming from a 7-year-old, that was an interesting perspective for an adult to hear.

For the Marvel CU movies... I watched Captain America and Thor and found them both to be really boring. But we both liked the Iron Man movies, so we watched The Avengers and enjoyed it. I liked Captain America and Thor as characters in The Avengers, but I guess not in their own movies. So we skipped Thor 2 and plan to skip Captain America 2, which also of course comes out soon. We do plan to see The Avengers 2, though. It will be too big not to at least see. No plans to see any of the other pending Marvel films, though, like Guardians of the Galaxy.

For others... we've never watched any of the X-Men movies. I liked the original Superman movies as a kid, and was looking forward to Man of Steel until I read reviews and heard feedback from friends and family that saw it; I still haven't seen it. I never liked the older Batman movies, but I liked the first two Nolan Batman movies. I think the Batman vs. Superman / MOS 2 movie sounds really uninteresting, as well as DC's plans to try to compete with Marvel via a Justice League movie and universe. And on and on.

With the exception of something just too big to not at least witness for yourself like The Avengers, or something with an interesting twist and great acting like The Dark Knight, the genre as a whole is really getting tired, repetitive, and formulaic. So as many have said in that other thread and above here too, burnout seems like a logical outcome for many viewers.

24. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Superhero movies... I've become burned out as well. The originality is lacking severely. Overall, I believe the frequency of reboots is what got me to this point. Enough of the Spider-Man, Batman and Superman remakes. At least give us a few years off. Let's see some new heroes, even if they're not well-known. Anything to quash the repetition.

The Amazing Spider-Man waited a full decade to retell the tale, yet it still feels unnecessary to me. Reboots should try to present the hero in a different light, or tell the story from a new perspective / angle. 'Amazing' felt like a rehash of the 2002 film, without much originality.

Putting the reboots aside, the whole superhero genre has become formulaic, as EHT stated above. Yes, even The Avengers is guilty of this. I know how much the movie is revered, and I'm not trashing it by any means. It's just a bit overrated IMO. The action sequences were too predictable. I wasn't blown away.

JainaSoloYJK and EHT like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's either that or more crappy YA adaptations. I'll go with Spider-Man 49.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.