main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get In Line - A Social Countdown to Episode VII... v. 3.0

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

So, he's now running a car wash?

[​IMG]. :p

Living in Jersey now?

And I feel like I should know, 'cause perhaps you posted about it earlier & I missed it, but why the move?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Took a 20 year mortgage, which will take me up to around retirement. At which point, I am moving home to Ireland, full time. In the interim, I was able to sell my house in Philly to a dear friend who needed more space now that she and her girlfriend were getting married. My daughter is getting to an age where she needs to start developing a life outside the house and our neighborhood in Philly gets immeasurable non-locals (tourists, commuters, vagrants...) through it all day, every day. It was not conducive to a 6 year old walking anywhere alone. The auto traffic through there is also astounding, so crossing streets, etc.

My wife does roller derby and we were visiting some of her teammates across the river and absolutely fell in love with a neat little house across from a graveyard. Good, solid Irish neighborhood and I can literally see the Philly sports complex (across the river) from the end of our street, so that is how close I still am to "home". We honestly could not turn down the house. It is kinda unique and also has brand new everything. I will have paid off the house and been retired in Belfast long before the roof needs replacing... that sorta stuff. It was just all around a good fit. Aside from the New Jersey part.

3. YTMND

YTMND Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2004
    I managed to make it to Ireland late last year/early this year (Dublin for a couple of days) and absolutely loved it. Couldn't understand why I was getting a lot of gruff from the customs officials though, considering I am American with an English/Irish surname. It seems my name and my brothers name are on a watch list for IRA terrorism going way back, I guess.

When I got there, everyone was asking me if I was related to the former proprieters of a certain whiskey that bears my last name. Anyhow, I loved it there and how they treated me. Great conversations were very appreciated as I was traveling alone and over seas for the first time.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    People in Ireland will engage in conversations with anybody and everybody. Try dining alone... you will be wrapped up in multiple conversations with people at at least the 6 nearest tables.

Luke'sSeveredHand and TheBBP like this.
  5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  6. YTMND

YTMND Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2004
    That's exactly how it was! Great when you're traveling alone. I was in Germany a few days before that and London for a bit before that.

Germany was fantastic for the history, food and beautiful blondes. London was cool for the history, but Ireland was the most hospitable and down to earth.

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've always wanted to go to Ireland, but now I'm rethinking it... as an introvert that sounds absolutely horrific! :p

Darth Tunes likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm a lifelong isolationist, so I find it dodgy. I do see the value in it for the average visitor but it is also not at all difficult to politely keep to oneself. They want a lively conversation, so any non-takers are moved on from. Blessedly.

mavjade likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I had an experience like that last night, during one of my breaks at Target. :p

10. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I recently expanded my business into the United States (California specifically) - I can tell you it's far more confronting the amount complete strangers want to strike up conversations in the US when compared to Australia.

People here keep to themselves and limit conversations with people they don't know very well.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I wouldn't view that as problem.

12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Disregard.

13. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

I'm a fairly gregarious/outgoing person so it's not a problem for me, but it is weird the number of people who will casually strike up conversations with you in America.

Also if it's a 'tipping' situation the amount of small-talk which is usually unwanted is way too high, I don't particularly want to talk to my waiter at a restaurant very much - here's my order now let me get back to the chat I was having with my actual you-know friend.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm just about the opposite- shy, introverted for the most part.

15. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    I'd imagine the food gets cold and the beer gets warm a lot if theres THAT much talking...:D

In NY, PDX, LA, even rural suburbs ive lived in, i never knew neighbors names or anything...it wasnt until i moved to a small town that the whole everyone knows everything thing kicked in.....kind of annoying but at the same time feels completely natural that everyone knows that Greg backed into an utility pole on wahanna boulevard knocking out power for 6 hours about 15 minutes after it happened. The tourism thing has its pluses and minuses but the art of meeting, knowing, and conversing with your fellow men Irish or not seems to be a lost art these days? Nice to know Ireland and some countries still encourage that...i reckon iphones are banned there?

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  17. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
  18. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Whelp, I've got December 18th off work on the firm calendar. Hopefully the pre-sales for the 12:00 showings will be announced sooner rather than later.

TheBBP and starocean90 like this.
  19. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I on the other hand will most likely miss VII for 4-5 days after Dec 18.:_|:p

20. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    Good lord...that would drive me CRAZY. Busy at work, traveling, or just going MIA?

starocean90 likes this.
  21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    even worse Final Exams period, you can't do anything until you finish your last exam.:(

22. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014
    I am 99% sure I finally found a job with the federal government that will be starting in September ::fingers crossed:: Just waiting on paperwork! So I'm hoping that I'll *have* to wait until the weekend to see TFA (as blasphemous as that sounds ;) )

23. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    Yikes...glad those days are behind me. Where you in school?

starocean90 likes this.
  24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I have a year left and I'm finally done, good thing after dragging Uni for a few years more than I should have.:p

Luke'sSeveredHand and coxie0520 like this.
  25. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I will be in my third semester this december. The next exams are late January/early February 2016 for me. So I could go to a midnight opening if there is one in the theater of my University's city.
    There will be also a Christmas market in my city around the time of TFA's release. Would be nice to visit it and to eat something before I go to the cinema.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.