main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get In Line - A Social Countdown to Episode VII... v. 3.0

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    LANDO_ROCKS Hope you're feeling better soon, mate.

In life news...

So I'm optimising some code in preparation for a paper on the simulator I'm writing. Both tasks were requested by my PhD supervisors; I got the sense they want the paper first, but I can't see how, given that the software as-is is so sluggish on real-world scale problems. I asked my wife about this dilemma.

"Maybe write an outline of the paper," she said.

"Nah, the outline is so obvious that it's useless."

Today I talk to my supervisors. "It's great that you're optimising the code, but write out a skeleton of the paper first at least." I told them that was my wife's suggestion. "Always listen to your wife" was the response.

See? Doing a PhD in computational biology is as much about navigating a marriage as it is about dry academia.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Or at least get good at feigning it!

Since we are sharing news... Anyone who read my Q and A in Hellhammer's thread knows that I gained a boat load of weight over the past pair of decades. A few months ago I found out at the Dr Office that I was 501lbs. This week I am down to 448 and cruising in the right direction. The saddest bit is that all it took was a few changes in how I do things. I just started hitting the gym again too.

[​IMG]

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    On ya BBP!

Willpower will get you where ever you need to go.

TheBBP likes this.
  4. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Quick update on my night out at the ESB secret cinema. If you can ... Just go; you'll thank me for it later. Don't worry about how much it costs or, how much you're spending when you're there! Amazing night out. Highlights were:

Drinking "spice smuggler" cocktails and watching a staged bar fight suddenly erupt next to me in the Mos Eiskey Cantina.
    Being stopped and interrogated by a couple of Stormtroopers
    Aunt Beru grabbing my wife's arm and screaming at her "tell Luke I love him" as she and Owen were dragged away by Imperials
    Buying food from an alien looking girl at one of the Tatooine stalls and eating it off the back of Luke's land speeder.

I could go on, there's so much else happening around you and in the final area you're moved into, the scene's acted out almost brought tears to my eyes!

Everyone working there was in character. And stayed in character for the whole night. Well done Secret Cinema. Such a good night out I can't recommend it highly enough.

5. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    This needs to happen in America ASAP. Seattle, please.

I know likes this.
  6. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I just finished the season finale of Ballers. I could do without the occasional nudity, but that might be my favorite show at the moment.

7. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    I need to watch this.

TheBBP likes this.
  8. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Oh, sweet nostalgia. [:D]

TheBBP likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I enjoy it (though I've yet to see the season finale), though not as much as you or my brother.:p

TheBBP likes this.
  10. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    So it's been a few days of eating soup, getting really sick of the stuff now!

My jaw is feeling much better, almost off the pain meds now and some of my stitches are coming out tomorrow hopefully.

TheBBP, DarthTunick and I know like this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You want some real medicine? Try Greek Lemon Soup. Basic ingredients include lemon, egg yolk, chicken broth, and either noodles, or orzo. Great taste and super palatable for recovering from all aches and ailments.

12. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I was half-planning/half-fantasizing about catching a flight across the pond to see one of the last few showings for my birthday, but unfortunately I'm going to be stuck in Tallahassee for the foreseeable future. Glad you had a great experience, though! I'm insanely jealous, it sounds amazing.

I know likes this.
  14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Did you dress up? Which Character Class were you?

15. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    I imagine this is just a small flavour of what Star Wars land will be like when it finally opens in Disney World. I definitely want to experience that! :)

We ended up being mercenaries and had to just throw something together because I only bought the tickets the day before. Lots of people put a lot a effort into their costumes, which just made the experience even better because you never knew who was part of the cast!

16. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Sounds awesome

I know likes this.
  17. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
  18. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Hello all, I've not really joined in with the social threads before. Just thinking about whether any UK based 7SA members would maybe be up for a meet up and then a viewing of TFA upon its release? I'm likely to be dragging along a tolerant but uninterested fiancé to my first viewing, so if I could see it amongst fellow fans, that might be fun. Apologies if this is the wrong place to being up the idea

Pro Scoundrel and TheBBP like this.
  19. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I'd be interested in a Seattle/Tacoma area get together.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    How does everyone, well those of use with Facebook/Twitter profiles, feel about folks wanting people to not share certain information about TFA on their (ie: your own page) profile, due to spoiler issues? I understand it, and have held back certain things myself, but do feel that it's philosophically unfair to a degree... I mean, it's my own page, and am excited for this film, so shouldn't I share what I want from time-to-time?

21. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Have a look here - http://boards.theforce.net/index.php?threads/Best-cinema-in-London-to-watch-the-premiere.50032743/

Oh...and welcome aboard!

22. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    I'm liking articles, most of them don't reveal much unless you click on the link.

23. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Fun ESB trailer cut in the style of the TFA trailer. 10/10 would see. =D=

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

I don't think one should share actual spoilers because people that are your friends will see what you post and a lot of people don't want to see those and that's fair. But officially released things I think should be fair game. If someone doesn't want to see something that's officially released, then they should probably avoid most of the internet.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh I want to see that movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.