main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get In Line - A Social Countdown to Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I didn't mind either scene in either movie.

[​IMG]

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah I wasn't a fan of Kirk's "death" scene either. Pointless rehashing and no where near as meaningful as Spock's.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, just put that one on my Facebook page.

6 and 7 are wrong BTW. :p

And it's LIGHT BLUE. LIGHT BLUE.

Oh, dammit...the XenForo admins must be Duke fans. They don't have Carolina blue in their color palette. :mad:

5. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Question for Darth Chiznuk and Pro Scoundrel: Do you dislike these scenes because of being attached to pre-existing material and feel they're derivative of what came prior? Or is it because you feel they're out of place and interrupt the flow of the movies themselves, even as stand alone productions?

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I didn't like it because it rehashed one of greatest moments in Star Trek and didn't have near the emotional impact the original scene has. I don't think the writers really understood why that scene was so powerful in the first place and simply put it in there because it's a famous scene and they thought it would be neat to see it reversed.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I will try to kill them all before you see them. :p

Edit: Well, all but the main one that we're directing all the new ones to.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's why you're an awesome mod.

9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I think it's a fair enough criticism don't get me wrong. But I thought cannibalising the scene from Wrath of Khan was an effective way of rounding off Spock's character arc in Into Darkness while simultaneously giving anyone with knowledge of WoK a knowing poke in the ribs. It's a shame that they weren't willing to create new imagery, especially with a director like JJ behind the camera. But I didn't think it was that bad. I think the movie had much bigger problems.

With that being said, and the reason why I asked the above question, I'm not as attached to Star Trek as some people. I would watch it on TV as a kid when the BBC would carry it as part of their daytime TV programming. And I still like a little bit of Trek every now and then. But I'm not a fanatic. So my opinion on the franchise isn't as educated as some others.

10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Aww, thanks! [face_blush]

Edit: And I should have said "I or one of my fellow E7 mods". ;)

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    As a kid I was actually more of a Star Trek fan (I thought Star Wars was silly until I saw the SE in the theater) and even though my fandom has twindle a bit it still holds a special place in my heart. It's part of the reason why I didn't particularly care for ST 2009 because in my opinion it didn't keep true to its origins. Now I really liked STID but that scene irks me because I just don't think the new cast earned that scene like the original cast did. Just my opinion though and it didn't ruin the film for me.

Chewgumma likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree with my esteemed colleague, but I would also add...
    I saw the Khan's blood deus ex machina coming a mile away. The whole time I was watching that scene, I was just thinking "C'mon, they're obviously going to save him with Khan's blood, so why go through all of this." If you're going to copy the greatest scene in Star Trek history at least have the balls to go through with it. Just my 2 cents. And, I'll add that I still like the movie, but thank the force Abrams' writers aren't going to be anywhere near Episode VII.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I thank the Force everyday that we have Michael Arndt tackling the script. It warms my heart just thinking about it. :D

eht13 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is eht & I's legit banter: "I got one"! "Great, kid! Don't get cocky"!

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I admit it, I actually [face_laugh], which I know wasn't the intended effect.

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Haha... yes, it really is.

17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It may be a bit too early for the real hype to begin, but is it my imagination or was this place way more crowded back during PT production?

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It was. I suspect it will generate a lot more new members once there is actual news. Magazine covers and Access Hollywood segments will send people running to stampede us to death.

19. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Good morning! And how is everyone doing?

My family has been looking into travel prices to go to my brother's wedding in Illinois in a few months. :eek: Holy cow, it's expensive! [face_money_eyes] We've got serious sticker shock and have been wracking our brains trying to find a way to go besides flying (quick, but expensive) or driving (takes a long time and even more expensive). I know we're getting desperate because we're looking into the Greyhound now. :p

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  21. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    A Chorus of Disapproval Yeah, We've got years and years of production ahead of us, for a bajillion movies. Oh the crazy theories we'll get to see.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    "The good old days". It feels more like we're sitting in a VA hospital remembering our tour in Vietnam.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

If I say it's safe to post on these boards, Captain, it's safe to post on these boards!

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In some ways the PT era felt like the message board version of a war tour. :p

25. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    A smallish town called Ottawa, several miles outside Chicago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.