main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get In Line - A Social Countdown to Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He had a far more conceived agenda in this version than subjugating planet Houston.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  2. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Hey now. I loved the subjugation of planet "Hooston". And Lex Luthor "Ruler of Australia".
    That said, still looking forward to seeing the movie.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Matinee for me sometime this week, probably Wednesday.

Good morning from the pool, GIL. The big kiddo picked up three ribbons at last week's swim meet: freestyle, breaststroke and butterfly. :D

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Dude! You can't be posting about minors and breasts and stuff on the internet.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Tell him congrats, anakinfansince1983 . :) My son is doing swim team too... usually freestyle, freestyle relay, and backstroke.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Good morning, GIL! Speaking of matinee's, I'll be seeing Man of Steel at 9:30am.

jedinightwing likes this.
  7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, that was an intense night.
    How's everyone doing?

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    For those that are interested, I LOVED "Man Of Steel" and definitely recommend seeing it on the big screen. eht13 there you have it. :)

Darth Chiznuk and eht13 like this.
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    So, Man of Steel... wasn't too impressed. Despite various things (Shannon's Zod, Crowe's Jor El, some of the flashbacks with Costner/Lane/a young Clark Kent, Christopher Meloni) that I did like, too much of the film was too heavy handed (hey look, it's Superman Jesus! [face_plain] ), and much of the final act was generic (the action). I'm sure most of you will disagree with me. :p

eht13 likes this.
  10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I kinda hope the religious symbolism was accidental. Superman is NOT supposed to be Jesus. Especially, considering he was created by two Jewish kids. :)

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Considering the scene he has in the church, and referencing the fact that he's been living as a Kent for 33 years, I don't think it was accidental. :p

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I talked about this with my friend who went with me, and he thought I was totally imagining the symbolism. He didn't notice it at all.

14. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    So I watched TDKR today. Am I the only one who really didn't like John Blake? I mean dont get me wrong I like JGL and he did a fine job....but I was soo annoyed by his character. They focused WAY too much on him (heck sometimes I thought he was the actual main character cause they treated him like he was), and he was a total Gary Stu and that whole "I knew you were batman cause of the look you gave me" is laughably hilarious. Plus the tacked on "Robin reference" still pisses me off to this day.

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks for the MOS perspectives, Pro Scoundrel and DarthTunick. Tunick, I've heard those things from others too, and also of course seen them in some of the mixed reviews. And thanks for that article, Chewgumma . Based on that article and other things I've heard, I think the religious symbolism has to be intentional. The examples would be one thing, but the fact that WB is approaching churches about it directly makes it pretty clear. Pretty weird and kind of tacky, IMO. At any rate, I will see it at some point but I'm still undecided as to whether that will be in the theater or on DVD.

Edit: Darth Claire : Yeah, I didn't like TDKR much at all. Too bad, because I thought Batman Begins and TDK were both really good.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    To put it in perspective... Jesus has always been portrayed as Moses 2.0. And, Simon & Schuster absolutely took from their Jewish background when putting together the origin of Kal El (El being Semitic for "god"). Honestly, a "last of his people", chosen to be saved by caring parents who set him adrift in a small vessel only to have him come ashore in a different society and be raised by the locals as a member of their race, only to have him come into an understanding of his origins and his true calling and lead people out of trouble by an endless display of miracles...

Superman as "savior" in a biblical sense is not at all unprecedented. It has actually never not been a fundamental part of the "idea" of Superman, even when it is not directly referenced. Superman Returns was infinitely more "Jesus" than anything in MOS. And, that is based on the same exact Marlon Brando speeches recorded for the Motion Picture. Because Superman has always been "Moses".

To pin all of that imagery on MOS is not only unfair, but belies a lack of understanding of the 2 Jews who created him. This is comics history 101 stuff.

17. jedinightwing

Aug 4, 2009
    Saw Superman earlier today. Thought they did a great job with it... would give my thoughts but that usually involves spoilers.
    Then I watched the Blackhawks kinda blow it in overtime (that said there was some pretty bad officiating throughout the game). Had a super hot waitress though.

Pro Scoundrel and eht13 like this.
  18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    And thanks, A Chorus of Disapproval , for that perspective too. Those are good points regarding Superman. As I've said in other discussions of superhero movies, I've never read the comic books, so most of my background on this stuff comes from the movies and TV shows.

Edit: And to be clear, the thing I was saying above that was "pretty weird and kind of tacky" was not the religious symbolism itself, but WB's direct marketing of it to churches.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I should ad that had I not read a review mentioning the religious overtones I probably wouldn't have noticed them. The friend who I went with didn't. I think it's getting more attention than it deserves.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG] I'm currently at a PWG wrestling show (it's an independent outfit... it's great, great entertainment in my humble opinion), and having myself on hell of a great time. :D l'll discuss/respond to Superman stuff tomorrow. :p

jedinightwing likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Good morning GIL. Happy Father's Day to all the Dads here. :)

eht13 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Thanks. Can't wait to see what I get. Since, I am the only person who bothered to wake up this morning and received the gift of making my own breakfast.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I slept in this morning and my kids had to reheat my breakfast so I received mircowaved scrambled eggs. They were... special. :p Anyway, I saw MOS yesterday and will gladly add my name to those who loved it. I did notice some of the religious symbolism but I completely agree with what A Chorus of Disapproval said earlier so it really didn't bother me.

24. jedinightwing

Aug 4, 2009
    PWG usually does have a good show.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Happy Father's day guys!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.