main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get In Line - A Social Countdown to Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'd be much easier on the special editions if they at least fixed things that needed fixing. Instead of having Darth Vader wailing "Nooo" in RotJ's most powerful scene, which IMO destroyed the dramatic weight and the logic of the events that play out, why weren't the matte box fixed? Why wasn't the scene where Obi-Wan's lightsaber magically turns into a wooden stick ever spruced up with the modern wonders of CGI? These were much more important issues than having a burping frog in front of Jabba's palace or having Greedo shoot first but for three revisions have gone entirely ignored.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Your opinions on this matter have been noted... quite a few times already, in fact. And CT's original post even said in it that he locked it himself. ;)

Ganger likes this.
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Thankfully that occurred with the Blu Ray release, not the previously released DVD's . I refuse to buy the Blu Ray edition precisely for that addition to ROTJ... my '04 DVD set is more than enough to keep me happy.

eht13 and Chewgumma like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've seen all the Halloween films, Escape From New York, The Fog, The Thing and a few others I believe. I've enjoyed most of what I've seen from him and his horror films are definitely better than the crap they release these days.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I recommend giving Big Trouble in Little China a try. It's a comedy, a kung fu flick, and a fantasy film all in one.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Sounds cool. I'll look for it on Netflix and if that fails Wal-Mart's always handy. :)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Quick question - what is this 'matte box'? I always hear about it.

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

A matte is a still where two images are combined to create one. A matte box is when you can see where the two images are combined. It's not too noticeable on older releases because the poor visual quality on VHS sort of covers it up. But on DVD and Blu Ray it's very noticeable.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I always pretend that they're the ship's shields. :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

Except Tie Fighters don't have shields!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/LN_starfighter

:p

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I know, but I ignore my knowledge of that. I pretend they're special Ties! :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Joe Antonetti : Not sure if you've noticed them, but you can especially see the matte boxes around the TIE fighters as they fly near the camera (hence the TIE jokes above :p).

13. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Hasn't the burping frog been in front of Jabba's palace since the original release, though?

But I agree with you - there are still a lot of effects in the OT that weren't fixed which seem more grating in the SE when everything else was worked on. For instance, the matte lines on the Rancor were fixed in Jedi, but not the tie fighter matte boxes. And the suddenly appearing ties in the rotj battle bug me more too. A lot of little things that didn't bother me before started bugging me when other effects were cleaned up.

Overall, I do prefer the Blu-ray editions, though. I shall exit the thread now with my head held low...

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "All I know is this Lo-Pan character comes out of thin air in a ***damn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everyone to shreds, and he just stands there waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him with light coming out of his mouth."

Damn, that was ****ing awesome.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It's all in the reflexes! :)

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm watching the blu-rays right now to try and stay awake. I'm on AOTC and the speeder chase looks so amazing on blu-ray. :D

17. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Star Wars is Star Wars, SE or not. :p Granted the 'extras' on Tatooine in ANH were totally unnecessary and early-CGI Jabba has not aged well..but, big whoop. The only thing that I was honestly upset about at the time was the exclusion of the Wolfman from the Cantina scene.

But it's still the same story with the same characters, so every single edition of Star Wars still gets the exact same reaction out of me...a great big :D

Immortiss and my kind of scum like this.
  18. Pewga

Pewga Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm new, when this was announced I cried for the rest of the afternoon.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, welcome? And why?

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    So....did you like the movie?[face_praying]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah, hated it. I can't abide a movie in which adventure doesn't come any bigger. And what's to love about a movie in which women with green eyes are elevated to a status of importance? :D :p

Seriously...it was good. Really good. As in a "How the hell did I not watch this before now?" level of good.

CT-867-5309 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  22. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    They excluded Lak Sivrak? I never new that! What evil is this?

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    You make me so happy! I'd just like to say [face_relieved][face_dancing][:D]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, announcement should be within the hour. I need to leave the computer now though :_|
    See you on the other side :p

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'll be here, since I usually don't go to sleep 'till around 3am PST. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.